What was Your 1st PRS?

Nothing spectacular here.
I was in a music store with a friend.
I got curious about an amplifier but had no guitar with me.
The sales guy pulled a brown S2 Mira off the wall and handed it to me.
The amplifier sounded OK but not really anything to write home about but...
I came home with that Mira and it became my main gigging guitar for quite a while.

Not just my first PRS, but my first electric guitar period ...

A new 2002 McCarty.

Go big or go home I say. And no, I don't still have it, but I wish I did.

1987 Custom in Vintage Yellow with moons. Bought new at a local dealer, has a killer top that’s flame and quilt at the same time. Brazilian rosewood board was standard. Just feels so right when you play it. The action is too low to be believed, but no buzzing or fretting out. Still have it!

Some beautiful guitars posted here.

I have played guitar for 50 years and had never gravitated to PRS, not sure why. I have several very nice guitars: Guild X-170, Bluesbird, and Starfire IV. G&L Legacy and ASAT, Gibson 335. A short while back I was in Guitar Center Used and saw this strange looking PRS. I picked it up and plugged it into a Fender Blues Deluxe. I was VERY impressed with the feel, the playability, and mostly the tones and variety of tones I could get with the pickup choices. Never played with a floyd rose.... that was interesting too. And in that room I was playing very clean tones. I saw the PRS was a Dusty Waring Signature. Never heard of him. So I went home and googled and found out he is a metal player. I don't play metal and never even thought metal when I tried it out. I decided go back and give it another spin if it was still there. Playing it again I realized how different it is from all my other guitars, yet I was falling in love. I decided to buy it. Changing strings and tuning a Floyd Rose is not a fun experience. I took it into a pro shop and had them restring it and set it.

This guitar is absolutely lovely and very comfortable and playable - for delicious cleans and convincing crunch. Again, I don't do metal, this guitar may be great at metal, but it is so versatile it is awesome for clean and crunch too. The maple neck with birds is a nice bonus.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS/Dustie-Waring-CE24-Floyd-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar.gc

Last edited:
My first: natural korina NF3, rosewood with circles (not moons). Don't remember why I bought that particular one but it played really well and thought it looked great. That is until I found the used blue one below it. Sold the natural one and bought the blue NF3 (which I still have)...

48888091042_5f7bd5b6d3_b.jpg

31428434372_86caae7175_b.jpg

So my first 2 did not even have birds.

My first: natural korina NF3, rosewood with circles (not moons). Don't remember why I bought that particular one but it played really well and thought it looked great. That is until I found the used blue one below it. Sold the natural one and bought the blue NF3 (which I still have)...

48888091042_5f7bd5b6d3_b.jpg

31428434372_86caae7175_b.jpg

So my first 2 did not even have birds.

Dig that natural finish

First was a root beer finish CE I bought in the mid 90s. I loved the guitar but ended up selling due to a gigging issue. It had abalone dots, some of which would nearly disappear during certain light scenes onstage. In those days I didn't keep much gear if it wasn't used for gigging so it moved on. I'm pretty sure my eyesight was part of the "Houdini dots".

My first was a 2001 Single Cut in grey black. If memory serves me correct I was actually looking for a Les Paul at the time. I still have it, hard to believe that it’s 18 years old already.

Some beautiful guitars posted here.

I have played guitar for 50 years and had never gravitated to PRS, not sure why. I have several very nice guitars: Guild X-170, Bluesbird, and Starfire IV. G&L Legacy and ASAT, Gibson 335. A short while back I was in Guitar Center Used and saw this strange looking PRS. I picked it up and plugged it into a Fender Blues Deluxe. I was VERY impressed with the feel, the playability, and mostly the tones and variety of tones I could get with the pickup choices. Never played with a floyd rose.... that was interesting too. And in that room I was playing very clean tones. I saw the PRS was a Dusty Waring Signature. Never heard of him. So I went home and googled and found out he is a metal player. I don't play metal and never even thought metal when I tried it out. I decided go back and give it another spin if it was still there. Playing it again I realized how different it is from all my other guitars, yet I was falling in love. I decided to buy it. Changing strings and tuning a Floyd Rose is not a fun experience. I took it into a pro shop and had them restring it and set it.

This guitar is absolutely lovely and very comfortable and playable - for delicious cleans and convincing crunch. Again, I don't do metal, this guitar may be great at metal, but it is so versatile it is awesome for clean and crunch too. The maple neck with birds is a nice bonus.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS/Dustie-Waring-CE24-Floyd-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar.gc

SWEET!! And don’t worry, that FR is not hard to change strings on, it’s just different. You’ll get the hang of it. Congrats on the great guitar!

Back