What was Your 1st PRS?

My first PRS was a 2018 Tremonti SE. It's the only one have. I wanted the full Tremonti but the wife thought moving here to Vegas and getting a new house was more important. Couldn't argue with that. I also bought the matching MT15 amp head. I still can't play like him but damn I can chug like a bunch of drunk college kids. I do own other guitars that I also enjoy playing but this is the most fun to play at extreme levels. Oh and did I say it chugs?!?!?! I'll post images as soon as I get to my 3 post limit. I love some of the guitars you guys are posting up. Makes me want to buy more.
Having one makes us all want more.

My first PRS was a CE Maple Top in 1992 - back when all PRSi were 24-fret models!

I've been back and forth with PRS since - I've had some really nice ones come through, in particular a 2002 CU22 Soapbar model, but the one I kind of regret letting go was one of the Korina series from 2008 - the KL1812 model. I say back and forth because I also had an equally strong thing for EBMM guitars - so I went PRS in, EBMM out, EBMM in, PRS out for several years before dropping both to get back into Fenders - I had become more of a "collector who played" in terms of getting caught up in the gear chase instead of concentrating on playing, so I dropped down to playing an American Standard Tele and American Standard Strat, even dropping the Strat and only keeping the Tele before taking a hiatus from playing due to left hand/wrist issues in 2015.

I came back to playing in mid-2018; after a false start with an MIM Fender Tele I've now got a USA Fender Mustang from their American Performer series (replacement for the American Special series); the short 24" scale is very easy on the hand/wrist when needed, and I just added a PRS S2 Vela. While all my prior PRS models were what we would now call "Core" I'm impressed with the S2 Standard models - an S2 Standard Satin may be in the cards for me to along with the Vela in the future.

Last edited:
1999 Custom 24, Royal Blue, with Artist package. I ordered it and waited a good 6 or 9 months for it. The Artist package meant it had an artist-grade (>10) quilt top, colorful paua bird inlays, and a rosewood headstock veneer. It would normally have come with gold hardware, but I specified nickel instead because I preferred it at the time. As it was a special order, I got it with a Regular neck profile, stoptail, and Dragon II pickups, so it resembled a Custom 22, but it was actually a 24. Sounded great, but it was pretty heavy, and the neck profile wasn't quite right for me. I wound up selling it several years later. Part of me wishes I still had it, but I prefer Wide-Thin necks.

2016 SE Custom 24. That was the first of many...and started the obsession.

No matter how hard I tried to find alternatives, nothing else in that price range could even come close. I ran through a half dozen SEs. Then several S2s. A handful of Core models. Three acoustics, too.

After a brief hiatus, I'm back and bad with another Core...and I'm here to stay!

Will likely wind up with another SE, though. They're stupid-good guitars.

SE Standard 22 -- at the time, the only new 25" SE with a Wide-Fat neck available. Since this first purchase, I bought another 4 SEs and 3 S2s. (My first Core is out there waiting for me somewhere)
DS7mrkf.jpg

Mine was an '04 CE 24 that I still have to this day.

my first was a 2007 or 8 CU24 Artist package. I bought it used off of Ebay, from apparently a pawnshop. It was beat to hell and back, and I just couldn't live with the damage, but it gave me the fever, and I've never looked back.

After years of just having an Acoustic having been 'forced' to sell my Electric (an Epiphone Les Paul Custom) due to raising a family and having had to quit gigging, I eventually got back to being in a position to be able to play electrics again. With my kids all Adults and getting my new house in order after a divorce, I finally had the income to buy a 'nice' guitar.

As it had been quite a while since I played Electrics, I wasn't comfortable in buying what was a 'dream' guitar - a Custom 24. I hadn't had a Trem, a 24 fret, a 'thin' neck etc so I thought I ought to start with something familiar - a Les Paul. Having looked around, I kept seeing minor issues - including one that had a gap in the neck-pocket big enough to hold a pick. Even the custom shop re-issues, despite costing a ridiculous amount having small issues. Admittedly a lot sounded great but I wasn't happy enough to spend that amount of money - nothing seemed to be as good as my old Epiphone. That Epiphone though was exceptional and some of my friends preferred it to their Gibson's for playability, sustain and tone but 25yrs later, I couldn't find anything that felt, sounded, played right - I was forever chasing that 'one'

PRS had launched the 594 so I thought I would try one. It sounded amazing, played great and was flawless. I tried another, same thing and the last one too. They all sounded great played incredibly well and consistently flawless - all better than the best Gibson - Not saying Les Pauls are bad btw but everyone had something that put a seed of doubt into my head about buying one and the the variety across them all was much bigger. Any way, that experience led me to buy my first PRS - a 2016 PRS McCarty 594.

SXniMHl.jpg

I purposely opted to go for the double cut too. To me my first PRS had to look like a PRS and having heard the Single cut version, the difference was not significant enough to worry about tonal quality, sustain etc. The weight and upper fret access too were a consideration although I don't know if the fret access is more because I expect to have better fret access or because it really does.

The Pick-ups are more on the vintage side compared to the Gibson's I tried - inc the re-issues but but they also had more clarity and less muddy at the lower end too. The frictionless tone and volume pots feel great and whilst I don't have sweaty hands playing at home, its great being able to move them easily with my pinky. They are also effective right through the range which isn't the case with quite a few guitars.

iqwpNPc.jpg

Ever since I bought this guitar, I have loved what it offers and how it feels to play. The pattern Vintage neck felt right from the start, as if it had been played for years and broken in - the asymmetric carve feels like its worn that way from years of playing. I always hoped I would get to own a Custom 24 as that was the guitar I aspired to and even when I was shopping for Gibson LP, it was sipposed to be a stepping stone to get me back playing electrics - something O was most familiar with to start. This guitar though isn't a stepping stone but a very important part of my collection and I wouldn't trade it in. My 2nd was my 509 because it was at the opposite end to my 594 - a Super Strat type to give me tele/stratty tones as well as the Trem and I finally got my Custom 24 as the guitar that sits between the two...

Looks amazing.

If I didn't already found good LP I would have started hunting a 594 for sure. I am not excluding selling one day my LP for a 594 :D.

2 hints to find a good LP try a lot of Gibs if you can, you may find your grail one day (mine was a 2010 used traditional). Second hint check high end Japanese replica. I wouldn't trade my Navigator LP custom for any other LP custom (except for Adam Jones personal LP Custom :D)

Just a couple of months ago I got a Custom 22 in Trampas Green. Store was going out of business and they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I’m absolutely amazed by this guitar and feel sheepish that I was so closed minded to them for the past 20 some years!

Last edited:
Back