What tips, tricks or advice do you have for learning music theory?

Steven Mal

I have trouble teaching music theory to others. What made learning theory easier for you? Flash cards are the only method I can think of to try to make studying easier. I know there are websites that will teach music theory to you and some are better than others but what tips, tricks, or advice do you have for someone struggling? Thanks.

Where to even start with this...

Please don’t take offence, but somebody once told me that if I couldn’t explain something to somebody to the point that they understood it, it meant I didn’t understand it properly myself. I’m not saying that’s the case with you.

Don’t force the issue though. If somebody isn’t getting it despite your best efforts then just leave it! Music theory is all well and good, but you could know all the theory there is and still be a crappy guitarist. Conversely, you can know next to nothing and still be a wonderful player.

I do think it’s important to have a basic understanding of how music ‘works’, but if you blow someone’s mind with theory then they aren’t going to stick with it, and that’s the opposite of what you’re tying to achieve! You can’t teach ‘feel’ after all.

Neal Schon of Journey was once asked what scales he was playing in a particular piece on a video he posted on Face Book. His response was simply "I don't know any scales." There are a number of excellent guitarists in the world who simply play by feel. They have learned more by memory of a note on the fretboard, than by memory of a chart or wheel. They flow from one note to the next purely by muscle memory, I would think. Sure it took them time to make that memory stick, but now, they can compose songs purely by knowing where to go next versus thinking, 'well I was on the seventh now I have to go back to the 5th or up to the 9th to make it sound right.

Similarly, you can know ‘what’ a particular chord is without knowing ‘why’ a chord is.

Sometimes I think that music theory is enlightening and helpful, while other times I think it’s limiting and restrictive. For example, if you only learned minor pentatonic scales it could be hard then to break out of those patterns, but it could potentially be a great baseline to start learning other scales/modes too.

There’s no right or wrong really, it’s more a case of ‘right’ or ‘jazz’ :)

I have trouble teaching music theory to others. What made learning theory easier for you? Flash cards are the only method I can think of to try to make studying easier. I know there are websites that will teach music theory to you and some are better than others but what tips, tricks, or advice do you have for someone struggling? Thanks.

I only recently got more into theory, and become really interested in learning it. My daughter has helped me, as well as a friend of mine. And I am older now, with a slower brain, so it's not easy to learn like it used to be after years of "playing by ear". The main thing is for me is understanding the WHY, before moving onto something else, and then practising using that knowledge in a creative way, to let it sink in, before moving onto something else. When I learn something knew, I need to have it stressed how it ties into what I've already learned, and the relevance of it, and then again, I need to practice, using that knowledge on my own in a creative way.

That's what seems to work for me so far, but I have a long way to go in terms of theory.

Back when my wife was teaching school, the thinking was that there are "eye learners" and "ear learners." That is, some people learn by using their eyes, and some learn by listening. She believed that teachers had to be able to adapt to both types of learner.

I have no idea how that principle might apply to teaching music theory, but my guess is that some folks are going to have to play it and hear it in order to understand the relationships between the bits and pieces, and some are going to do better looking at notation and reading about it. Then, too, there are probably combination learners.

So, flash cards might work for eye learners, but probably won't work for ear learners. And so on.

Back when my wife was teaching school, the thinking was that there are "eye learners" and "ear learners." That is, some people learn by using their eyes, and some learn by listening. She believed that teachers had to be able to adapt to both types of learner.

I have no idea how that principle might apply to teaching music theory, but my guess is that some folks are going to have to play it and hear it in order to understand the relationships between the bits and pieces, and some are going to do better looking at notation and reading about it. Then, too, there are probably combination learners.

So, flash cards might work for eye learners, but probably won't work for ear learners. And so on.
I can read a book on science and engineering, and retain and use that information in a useful way. I have never been able to read sheet music and make it functional. I "cheated" my way through instrument classes (piano and trumpet) because I can play by ear. Tableture and notated music is an abstact language that I just cannot grasp.

I am far from an expert on theory. But, I have a good grasp of the basics.

I learned on my own. Bits and pieces over a lotta years. I read a few books, looked up a lotta stuff online. But, there was a thread (I think on TGP) about the Major Scale... It turned into a really good thread on a lotta things music theory. But, it helped me immensely by thinking as all things deriving from the Major Scale. Once I got that part into my brain, other parts of it made sense and fell into place.

I had been a pentatonic player for a looong time. Sure, I added a few extra notes here and there, but had no idea why. But, as my thinking shifted, things flowed a little differently. First thing to clear up, of course was chord construction. Then, came a little clearer understanding of other scales, like minor scales, and how to get there. Then came some of the modes and how the associated scales were built. Also, it then became clear that I wasn't as limited as I thought I was... I stopped thinking in scalar fashion, and began really thinking in relation to the chords and the melodies and things just kinda fell into place.

How to relate that to teaching exercises or hints and tricks? Got me....

One thing I still do is when I am having a hard time falling asleep, I try to spell out chords. Then, I visualize the fretboard and try to make sure my spelling and any fingerings I know jive. Puts me to sleep in moments! LOLO

Flash cards probably woulda helped me with things like memorizing key signatures, or notes in chords... Probably, things like what chords could I sub in. Honestly, probably a hundred things I don't know that I don't know yet.

I've had to think a lot about this issue of teaching theory. A lot of it comes down like Les said to how people process things, I think.

The next hurdle is how in-depth you intend to learn or teach theory. I have a degree in music and theory 1-3 is "these are the rules, never break them." And theory 4 was "all those rules you learned? break them all."

I believe I retained a lot from the theory classes and most of that is due to playing a ton where I could solidify and experiment with what I had learned. This was also after I graduated so it took me a while to comprehend and apply everything. Then I had band members ask "hey what did you do here?" And I'd have to try and explain it to them which sometimes was a complete failure.

My ultimate complaint with the subject of theory stems from a philosophical and perhaps epistemological viewpoint. Theory, I find, is taught backwards in the sense we're trying to observe patterns in a set of notes/chords. Notes and chords are just vibrations of air. These have defined scientific and physical characteristics. Theory, sets out finding and classifying what would on paper seem to be a bunch of mathematical nonsense and organising them in a way that's easier to understand and fits within what we find "pleasing." Well...mostly pleasing.

With any academic subject, "restrictions" are set to solidify the fundamentals. There's a reason you don't start reading Shakespeare or learn calculus before you learn algebra.

I've had to think a lot about this issue of teaching theory. A lot of it comes down like Les said to how people process things, I think.

The next hurdle is how in-depth you intend to learn or teach theory. I have a degree in music and theory 1-3 is "these are the rules, never break them." And theory 4 was "all those rules you learned? break them all."

I believe I retained a lot from the theory classes and most of that is due to playing a ton where I could solidify and experiment with what I had learned. This was also after I graduated so it took me a while to comprehend and apply everything. Then I had band members ask "hey what did you do here?" And I'd have to try and explain it to them which sometimes was a complete failure.

My ultimate complaint with the subject of theory stems from a philosophical and perhaps epistemological viewpoint. Theory, I find, is taught backwards in the sense we're trying to observe patterns in a set of notes/chords. Notes and chords are just vibrations of air. These have defined scientific and physical characteristics. Theory, sets out finding and classifying what would on paper seem to be a bunch of mathematical nonsense and organising them in a way that's easier to understand and fits within what we find "pleasing." Well...mostly pleasing.

With any academic subject, "restrictions" are set to solidify the fundamentals. There's a reason you don't start reading Shakespeare or learn calculus before you learn algebra.

I’m from Indiana. You lost me at “epistemological.” o_O:D

My tip is to take a page from my private instructor I had during my HS years ... be a demanding, relentless, insufferable task master. You'll condition and benefit those who are destined to rise to necessarily higher standards, and will effectively weed out those who are probably wasting both of your times ... as it did to me. o_O

I can read a book on science and engineering, and retain and use that information in a useful way. I have never been able to read sheet music and make it functional. I "cheated" my way through instrument classes (piano and trumpet) because I can play by ear. Tableture and notated music is an abstact language that I just cannot grasp.
when I read your words I find myself, at the beginning of my apprenticeship which I did alone, I learned very quickly the chords and then different scales and I always played with my feeling, I hear the notes in my head and play them on the guitar, the first 10 years I practiced about 6 hours a day and tried to learn the sheet music but it's too late for me ... if I'm listening to a melody or even a solo very fast I manage to play it so I think that today I will continue like this ... the boat has passed ...

How do you get a Bass player to slow down? Put sheet music in front of him.

How do you get a Bass player to stop? Put notes on the sheet music.

I only recently got more into theory, and become really interested in learning it. My daughter has helped me, as well as a friend of mine. And I am older now, with a slower brain, so it's not easy to learn like it used to be after years of "playing by ear". The main thing is for me is understanding the WHY, before moving onto something else, and then practising using that knowledge in a creative way, to let it sink in, before moving onto something else. When I learn something knew, I need to have it stressed how it ties into what I've already learned, and the relevance of it, and then again, I need to practice, using that knowledge on my own in a creative way.

That's what seems to work for me so far, but I have a long way to go in terms of theory.

This is pretty much 100% the opposite of how I do it. I've avoided theory on purpose. I don't want a book telling me what is right or wrong, and I couldn't give a crap how one phrase ties in with another, theory wise. I don't care about what scale I'm playing. All I care about is playing something that sounds good. Thinking about the theory of what I "should" play would only slow me down.

Sometimes when I play for my daughter, and I'm the only instrument, I have the whole song written out with words and chords. I sit with my eyes glued to the music because I have to carry the whole song. Others when I play with the bluegrass guys I don't even take music on stage. I learn how the song goes from listening to it, know when my solo is and what area I'm doing fills, rhythm chords or other, and just "play." I just watch the other guys and play whatever I want. I've told this before, but my bass players is practically autistic. I think a mild form... he has played with me for years, and STILL asks "don't you need a music stand? Aren't you going to use your music?" LOL And he's asked me 1000 times "now when we play next week, are you going to play that solo just like you just did it?" And I always say "probably not, but it will be OK." :p It got to the point that unless I'm starting a song off, I take myself out of his monitor so he won't freak out when I play something different than I did last time. That said, when I play Ozzie, Rush, Van Halen, etc. etc. it's definitely "note for note" on the solos. ;)

Back