What percentage of your guitars are what color?

Is there a story with that? Angry woman? Jealous man? Mischievous offspring?

Lol, nothing spectacular. I tried painting it green. I was impatient and screwed it up. I saw Dweezil Zappa with the burnt Strat and thought it looked cool. I took this body into the backyard, sprinkled some gasoline on it, dropped a match and let it burn for a few seconds. Dumped some water, scraped the paint, and repeated a few times. It got pretty charred around the all the routes - front and back - and the neck pocket. I applied some Minwax clear poly to save the wood. My first wife and I took turns drawing on it with permanent marker, then I added another coat of poly. We finished it on 4-8-97.

Ironically it is one of the BEST sounding guitars I have ever owned. When I used to do a lot of sessions, pre-PRS, this was usually my first choice guitar if nothing specific was requested.

Lol, nothing spectacular. I tried painting it green. I was impatient and screwed it up. I saw Dweezil Zappa with the burnt Strat and thought it looked cool. I took this body into the backyard, sprinkled some gasoline on it, dropped a match and let it burn for a few seconds. Dumped some water, scraped the paint, and repeated a few times. It got pretty charred around the all the routes - front and back - and the neck pocket. I applied some Minwax clear poly to save the wood. My first wife and I took turns drawing on it with permanent marker, then I added another coat of poly. We finished it on 4-8-97.

Ironically it is one of the BEST sounding guitars I have ever owned. When I used to do a lot of sessions, pre-PRS, this was usually my first choice guitar if nothing specific was requested.
Like this?
tumblr_onfxxwqT9J1rpduwho1_500.gif

The vast majority of mine are red. All of my PRS are red, or at the very least have a significant amount of red in them somehow/somewhere.

ie (not an exhaustive list):

1) '04 CE-24 in scarlet red

2) '11 Custom 24 in fire red

3) '08 Custom 24 in ruby, along with aforementioned CE-24

4) custom LP one-off guitar, tried to copy the red tiger finish that PRS uses

5) custom LP 7-string one-off guitar in red/blackburst

The rest are assorted. I am missing a green one. Which is weird, because if you asked me what my favorite color was, I would say 'green' - I think the problem is it has to be the 'right' green. There are a lot of bad ones out there.

NOPE!!! No such thing as an ugly /bad green.:D:D:D

I go an embarrassingly long time between string changes. But I use pure nickel strings that last a long time, and I have dry hands. And I'm lazy. So very lazy!

I wish I could, my fingers tarnish the strings during a gig, which is fine for rehearsals, but as I said on gig day, by the third guitar I’m kinda bored!

But man, the tone I was getting through the Mesa on Saturday night was sweet as Les. Even the other guitarist remarked on my sound.

Thanks again Les and others who pointed me in the right direction!

Complimenting (not stealing) the brand thread...

Maybe because of my identity crisis thread, I added count and percentage of brand AND color to my response to the PRS % thread..

We have plenty of "Show us your (PickYourColor) threads.".

What does your harem look like, color wise? Count/Percentage?

My reply from the % PRS thread:

Colors:
Goldtop - 3 - 37.5%
Red - 2 - 25%
Natural Spruce - 2 - 25%
TV yellow - 1 - 12.5%

Adding pics:

I haven't bought a guitar new for a very long time so I never seem to get the colours that I actually want. So my finishes are pretty random. I wanted a two tone sunburst EJ strat, like the man himself, but the one that came up cheap was a blond. I've just got a cherry burst quilt EVH wolfgang - It would have been my least desired finish but it was sooo cheap (for what it is) that I couldn't help but go for it (and it is growing on me).

All I want really, is vintage faded bursts - those yellowy, amber kind of finishes. And I don't have a single guitar like it. But the way I look at it is if I got what I wanted I'd have no reason to keep looking out for new guitars!

I haven't bought a guitar new for a very long time so I never seem to get the colours that I actually want. So my finishes are pretty random. I wanted a two tone sunburst EJ strat, like the man himself, but the one that came up cheap was a blond. I've just got a cherry burst quilt EVH wolfgang - It would have been my least desired finish but it was sooo cheap (for what it is) that I couldn't help but go for it (and it is growing on me).

All I want really, is vintage faded bursts - those yellowy, amber kind of finishes. And I don't have a single guitar like it. But the way I look at it is if I got what I wanted I'd have no reason to keep looking out for new guitars!

Sounds like a McCarty burst or a Livingston Lemondrop would be right for you!

I don’t mind some livingstone lemon drop – in fact I was looking at a nice Ted in that colour before I bought the 53/10, but I prefer vintage yellow. It’s just warmer and more homely. A vintage yellow that faded into a slight amber/brown around the edges, in satin nitro, would be perfect. When I win the lottery that will be my default private stock starting colour.

You just keep enjoying that beautiful nude quilt of yours!

I have something similar to yours, that I treasure.

Back