What are some of the non-PRS guitars in your collection?

This was the first tele I bought. Started as a modern player HSS that I converted to a traditional tele layout with a 4 way and a phase switch. This worked well but the neck started feeling too thin coming from the PRS wide fat I was used to.

The next one I got into was this cheap "lite ash" I found used at GC. It's not light at all but has a delightfully chunky Birdseye neck.

Then I decided to start building guitars. This has all the hardware and neck off the white tele but with an African teak body which is quite heavy.

After that I decided to go the opposite direction and make one as light as possible. This is a book matched walnut top I bought off a guy in Minnesota with a cypress back I bought in Mississippi. This one is semi-hollow but not routed behind the bridge which supposedly kills sustain. Total assembled weight is right around 5 pounds.

The first one I built was a research and development basically for the guitar I set out to build. This purple sparkly one is from the same piece of African teak and is equally as heavy. Photo taken from Wildhorse Saloon (RIP)

I got a call from a random number and it was a guy who wanted a body only and I happened to have this one in process not really sure what to do with. Sent him a picture and he loved it so he bought it assembled it himself.

This is the most recent build. I did all the woodwork here after a long long time messing with necks. Paulownia body and maple neck. This one is a sister to the blue one I sold.

Edit: these are just the ones I have pictures of completed. Not pictured is a frost blue Mexican standard that was used as a template for the builds. The neck you can see on the walnut guitar. Also not pictured is a non-functional body and neck I build on request from my wife as our guestbook when we got married.

Last edited:
This was the first tele I bought. Started as a modern player HSS that I converted to a traditional tele layout with a 4 way and a phase switch. This worked well but the neck started feeling too thin coming from the PRS wide fat I was used to.

The next one I got into was this cheap "lite ash" I found used at GC. It's not light at all but has a delightfully chunky Birdseye neck.

Then I decided to start building guitars. This has all the hardware and neck off the white tele but with an African teak body which is quite heavy.

After that I decided to go the opposite direction and make one as light as possible. This is a book matched walnut top I bought off a guy in Minnesota with a cypress back I bought in Mississippi. This one is semi-hollow but not routed behind the bridge which supposedly kills sustain. Total assembled weight is right around 5 pounds.

Nice!!!

Damn!
You’re killing it.

I haven’t been acquiring for a while, but I just got caught in a weak moment.

Edit: Arrived yesterday. Very surprised at the condition of this ‘95 Florentine. It looks like it’s hardly been played. Great neck and action. For the grief Gibson gets over quality, their “Custom Shop” quality is very good and consistent.
I’ll bet it would like a play date with my Emperial

Hello, I have a few on my YouTube channel but I'll post some "shorts" of my guitars here:

I'm mostly a Fender guy at heart but I own everything from Guild, Epiphone, Ibanez, Squier, Gretsch, Yamaha, Ovation, and other brands. I'm not a loyalist in the slight (I don't believe in being a brand loyalist). Never will be.

I'm very into customization/deep mods and firmly believe in "Making it your own". Rarely do I leave something stock when it comes to guitars.

That said, I'm new to PRS guitars and I have been blown away, really cool guitars! Very thankful to have PRS in my arsenal.

Damn!
You’re killing it.
Thanks!

Back then (this was around 2018 when I started all this) I was I guess "professionally" playing in the sense I held no other job. Our normal schedule was to be out of town with shows on Friday and Saturday and maybe have 1-3 in town during the week. This led to a lot of downtime to research how to build and a lot of time to try it.

Getting married towards the end of 2019 really slowed things down as did starting a "regular" job. Also buying a house that needed to be almost gutted didn't help and if it weren't obvious at this point, my wife and I did a lot of the work ourselves so it took around 2 years. The green tele was such a sweet thing to have finished after looking at it halfway done for 5 years.

Now I just need to finish the other 3 and go on a neck building spree to get those original fenders reassembled and move on to the set-necks that were in the works when I took a break to fix the house.

I have a D'Angelico semi-hollow double-cut (es335 body style). The fretboard is flatter (larger radius) than my PRS. I really like the sound, great guitar.

Hello, I have a few on my YouTube channel but I'll post some "shorts" of my guitars here:

I'm mostly a Fender guy at heart but I own everything from Guild, Epiphone, Ibanez, Squier, Gretsch, Yamaha, Ovation, and other brands. I'm not a loyalist in the slight (I don't believe in being a brand loyalist). Never will be.

I'm very into customization/deep mods and firmly believe in "Making it your own". Rarely do I leave something stock when it comes to guitars.

That said, I'm new to PRS guitars and I have been blown away, really cool guitars! Very thankful to have PRS in my arsenal.
I love Yvette's playing and have been intrigued by her signature model...hope to hear more info about that guitar!

Viking-015.jpg

I love Yvette's playing and have been intrigued by her signature model...hope to hear more info about that guitar!
It's a great guitar, unique off set that honestly feels like a cross between the maple Silver Sky and maybe a 53 Tele, to be honest.

It came stock with a really good pickup set (the Seymour Duncan Five-Two set and Gotoh Locking Tuners, was set up really well out the box but I took those out and put in a Steve Miller Joker pickup set (Alnico 2 set). I love the sound even more now. Took it in for a custom set where now it has a shim under the neck, stays in tune even when abusing the trem.

The neck is matted Maple, no Gloss, no stick. It's labeled as a C profile but feels like a D - You can feel the angles. Somewhere in between a Fender strat medium C and a Ibanez small Wizard neck.

A workhorse of a guitar. The glow paint is great and refreshing too. Definitely worth the money (I got it for around $1,099, which is the regular price. You could probably find it cheaper now though).

Last edited:
It's a great guitar, unique off set that honestly feels like a cross between the maple Silver Sky and maybe a 53 Tele, to be honest.

It came stock with a really good pickup set (the Seymour Duncan Five-Two set and Gotoh Locking Tuners, was set up really well out the box but I took those out and put in a Steve Miller Joker pickup set (Alnico 2 set). I love the sound even more now. Took it in for a custom set where now it has a shim under the neck, stays in tune even when abusing the trem.

The neck is matted Maple, no Gloss, no stick. It's labeled as a C profile but feels like a D - You can feel the angles. Somewhere in between a Fender strat medium C and a Ibanez small Wizard neck.

A workhorse of a guitar. The glow paint is great and refreshing too. Definitely worth the money (I got it for around $1,099, which is the regular price. You could probably find it cheaper now though).
Thanks a lot for the info!

In celebration of taking delivery of my very first Fender CS guitar today and I wanted to show it off and also got me thinking, what are some of the forum members favorite guitars in their collection that AREN'T PRS guitars? Post em!

In celebration of taking delivery of my very first Fender CS guitar today and I wanted to show it off and also got me thinking, what are some of the forum members favorite guitars in their collection that AREN'T PRS guitars? Post em!

Clockwise from top left:
‘17 Ken Smith Black Tiger 5
‘16 SE-Custom 24 (modded)
‘01? Ibanez Mikro (modded)
‘94 Guild Pilot Pro 5

I wasn’t really looking at adding any more guitars after selling several and finding my recently NGD-posted NF3. But…

Back in the early 90s I had a guitar I let a friend buy, as he really loved it and I was playing Carvins at the time. Always thought I’d replace it, but the ones I’d find were either modded to death at a decent price or unmodified at a stupid price. Then I saw this one at a great price and thought “what the heck, at that price I can resell easy if it ain’t what I remember.” Kind of a best of three types hybrid, originating at Rockin’ Robin guitars in nearby Houston.

Ha7Uzl1.jpg

Last edited:
Back