Your Favorite Amp, Guitar & Pedal Combinations.

LOVE Friedman’s stuff. I want a Smallbox so bad I can taste it but the used market for them is almost nonexistent or stupid expensive and might as well buy new. Which one do you have?

I like his Dirty Shirley. Very cool sounding amp (just my two cents).

Despite the 10 acres of pedals on my pedalboard, here is my faves

Classic rock/hard rock/blues
KL33 or 5909 -> boss rv6 reverb -> hx/da

Hard rock/metal/80's
Custom 24 floyd or 94 CE22-> ts808 -> Peavey XXX -> mxr 10 band eq -> boss dd7 delay -> boss rv6 reverb
(Sometimes I'll run my boss ds-1 distortion or DoD metal master and use the clean channel)

rush, 80's power ballads :p
Westie -> boss CE-2 -> Mesa mini recto 25 -> boss dd7 delay -> boss rv6 reverb

Country/some texas rock/blues/SRV

509 or SE HBII -> ts808 -> Mesa flux drive -> Peavey Vintage tube series Rockmaster -> boss dd7 delay -> boss rv6 reverb

Last edited:
I agree it does sound great but I think your ceiling and my basement for dirt might coincide with each other :)

Ha! That may very well be the case.

Back in my Tremoverb days, I felt I played better with more gain than I use now. I even played my later Bad Cat, Bogner and Two-Rocks with more gain.

I think when I moved more in the direction of Brit Pop and Americana styles, even blues, I began to play cleaner. Hey, there's no right and wrong to this stuff, it's all good!

Guitar: the one I don't have yet -- Brian's Private Stock 7, maybe? Or perhaps one of my own choosing, 7 string archtop with my beloved Benedetto pickup in the neck and something else in the bridge
Pedal: the one I don't have yet -- currently eyeballing the new Strymon Zelzah
Amp: the one I don't have yet -- Fender Super Reverb, maybe the new Tone Master one -- I just love my 4x10s

I have to add another combination that I forgot to mention earlier, that I wouldn't necessarily have expected before I got the guitar:

CU24 30th PS >> DG30.

The 85/15s drive this amp beautifully, and the midrange emphasis the guitar has seems to perfectly compliment the amp. It's simply a beautiful match.

I only have one real amp. That's a Bandit 112. The pedals that are almost always on my board are all BOSS... SD1, HM2, CH1, TR2, LS2, DM2w and a RV6.

but get to play around with some others in Amplitube 5. Without fail, I almost always stick the yellow OD in front of just about any dirty amp (I think it's a BOSS SD1 clone.) The 5150, JCM 800 and 900 clones and the triple rectifier are my favorites. Sometimes I toss the HM2 in fronnt of one of the JCM or 5150 clones. I dig the fenders and the Boogie for cleans... Just wish I could afford them!

I only have one real amp. That's a Bandit 112. The pedals that are almost always on my board are all BOSS... SD1, HM2, CH1, TR2, LS2, DM2w and a RV6.

but get to play around with some others in Amplitube 5. Without fail, I almost always stick the yellow OD in front of just about any dirty amp (I think it's a BOSS SD1 clone.) The 5150, JCM 800 and 900 clones and the triple rectifier are my favorites. Sometimes I toss the HM2 in fronnt of one of the JCM or 5150 clones. I dig the fenders and the Boogie for cleans... Just wish I could afford them!

Amplitube's models are excellent if you haven't got a tube amp, or need a sound that you haven't got in your hardware amp arsenal. IK did a good job with them. I've used them as scratch pads for coming up with parts that I later re-record with tube amps.

I'm not a fan of solid state hardware amps in general, and one of several reasons is that contrary to what we sometimes hear, they aren't good with overdrive pedals, A good overdrive (and I include the Boss line, lots of pros use them) is designed to drive a tube amp amp into clipping, whether a little or a lot. That way you get a blend of the pedal's distortion and the amp's distortion. It's a creamier sound, whereas pure solid state distortion is pretty harsh. But there's also the whole feel thing, and the fact that a solid state amp's built-in distortion is usually pretty awful, too.

So I'd rather use something like Amplitube with good sounding models, than the solid state amps. I can see why you like using that software..

Admittedly I'm kind of picky about tone, because my work winds up being broadcast. I compete with talented folks for the work, so anything that gives me an edge is good. But I have a little gear fund that I add to here and there for months to save for what I need.

Amplitube's models are excellent if you haven't got a tube amp, or need a sound that you haven't got in your hardware amp arsenal. IK did a good job with them. I've used them as scratch pads for coming up with parts that I later re-record with tube amps.

I'm not a fan of solid state hardware amps in general, and one of several reasons is that contrary to what we sometimes hear, they aren't good with overdrive pedals, A good overdrive (and I include the Boss line, lots of pros use them) is designed to drive a tube amp amp into clipping, whether a little or a lot. That way you get a blend of the pedal's distortion and the amp's distortion. It's a creamier sound, whereas pure solid state distortion is pretty harsh. But there's also the whole feel thing, and the fact that a solid state amp's built-in distortion is usually pretty awful, too.

So I'd rather use something like Amplitube with good sounding models, than the solid state amps. I can see why you like using that software..

Admittedly I'm kind of picky about tone, because my work winds up being broadcast. I compete with talented folks for the work, so anything that gives me an edge is good. But I have a little gear fund that I add to here and there for months to save for what I need.

My Bandit 112 does not like the DS1 at all (could be a volume thing... I rarely turn my amp up, and when I do, the DS1 usually isn't hooked up.) However, the SD1, OD3 and the Joyo Tauren (Klone) all sound great at all volumes.

When it comes to my HM2... I don't think the amp matters that much.

My Bandit 112 does not like the DS1 at all (could be a volume thing... I rarely turn my amp up, and when I do, the DS1 usually isn't hooked up.) However, the SD1, OD3 and the Joyo Tauren (Klone) all sound great at all volumes.

Wouldn't be my thing, but you like what you like. No harm, no foul!

I only had one brand of amps that hated pedals. Both Oranges I used to own. They just take no **** from pedals. Rockerverb 50 MK3 and AD30TC. I remember when I bought my first Cornish pedal. Rushed to plug it in to my Rockerverb. Flipped to the clean channel, waited for amp to warm up, hit the chord and - phzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This fucking **** NG-2 is a buzz crap. It only took me a year when I plugged it later to either Rivera or Boogie to make this pedal be back in a "cool" camp.

Don't even get me started on AD30TC, the day I sold it was my favorite day ever

I only had one brand of amps that hated pedals. Both Oranges I used to own. They just take no **** from pedals. Rockerverb 50 MK3 and AD30TC. I remember when I bought my first Cornish pedal. Rushed to plug it in to my Rockerverb. Flipped to the clean channel, waited for amp to warm up, hit the chord and - phzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This fucking **** NG-2 is a buzz crap. It only took me a year when I plugged it later to either Rivera or Boogie to make this pedal be back in a "cool" camp.

Don't even get me started on AD30TC, the day I sold it was my favorite day ever

They certainly do their own thing. I think of them as "fast attack" amps, where I think of something like a Mesa as an amp with a slower attack and a more searing sound.

I have a certain amount of respect for Orange amps, but they're not for everyone. Then again, what amp is?

They certainly do their own thing. I think of them as "fast attack" amps, where I think of something like a Mesa as an amp with a slower attack and a more searing sound.

I have a certain amount of respect for Orange amps, but they're not for everyone. Then again, what amp is?

Aw I loved the RV. I was only using the drive channel and it was doing just fine with no pedals, boosters. I never bounded with clean. AD30TC was not my thing, not my thing at all. Whatever tubes or speaker cab I was trying it with

When it comes to my HM2... I don't think the amp matters that much.

Overdrives and distortion pedals have to be used differently with SS amps, vs. tube amps. With tube amps no matter how much gain you actually use from the pedal, you also want to push the level some to push V1 of the amp. How much you push it is up to you and your tonal objectives. With SS amps, you have to be careful of pushing the front end of the amp. You may use the gain with just a small level boost for solos, but you don’t normally want to push the front end too hard. With tubes, sometimes you’re pushing the level on the pedal WAY more than the gain of the pedal.

Back