Amp/Guitar Combinations That Shouldn't Work At All, But Somehow Do.

László

Too Many Notes
Ever plug a guitar into an amp that by all rights shouldn't be a very good combination, but turns out to be stellar?

Usually my instincts are pretty good, but every so often, I get wowed by some unsuspected combination that works in just the right way. Here's an example:

I have a head and cab switcher, so I usually turn several amps on at once and switch between them while practicing, just for grins. My inclination with the HXDA is to use a fat sounding solid body guitar to achieve the tones I like. That usually means a thick solid body electric. In fact, I bought the amp for just that purpose.

Yeah...Not. So. Fast!

I discovered that I love the Special Semi Hollow with the HXDA with the guitar volume rolled down for clean tones, and that in fact, it's my very favorite amp with the SSH in Positions 2 and 4, where I can also roll the volume up for gorgeous edge-of-breakup tones. It's also the amp that works by far the best for me with the SSH's coil splits.

Something about the amp's voicing is simply a natural match for that guitar, which took me by surprise when I started using them together. Doesn't even need reverb or delay, my usual go-to things. I also like the way this amp and guitar combination work with a compressor for certain things, and with a tremolo pedal, it's the cat's ass. The more I use this combination, the more I like it.

I'm sure that most of us have experienced something similar. Discuss amongst yourselves.

I know this is repetitive of me. My little Mesa, with attenuator is blowing my mind!

I plugged in my F Strat the other night and I took a beat as I realised that it had never sounded like that before.

I have a new set of pickups in the SE245 (yes I will share some pics) and boy oh boy the tones that are coming out of it!

Who knew the beast that was hiding within.

I know this is repetitive of me. My little Mesa, with attenuator is blowing my mind!

I plugged in my F Strat the other night and I took a beat as I realised that it had never sounded like that before.

I have a new set of pickups in the SE245 (yes I will share some pics) and boy oh boy the tones that are coming out of it!

Who knew the beast that was hiding within.
Amps want to be turned up and set free! At a certain point, all you get is fizz from preamp tubes when master volumes are set low. The power tubes need to be involved. At least, that's my experience.

Last edited:
...and with a tremolo pedal, it's the cat's ass...

Speaking of unexpected-ness....this is a phrase I would have never expected someone to use when describing something cool, but right on!

Your studio sounds like a play ground full of cool gear and fun ways to combine them all!

I always like hearing about your adventures in tone discovery!

Speaking of unexpected-ness....this is a phrase I would have never expected someone to use when describing something cool, but right on!

Your studio sounds like a play ground full of cool gear and fun ways to combine them all!

I always like hearing about your adventures in tone discovery!
Well, thanks!

This is going to sound a little nuts, but my truly coolest gear? Orchestral libraries. Not even hardware, guitars or amps!

Yes, I realize I should feel guilty and repent my evil ways, but I love writing orchestral music. ;)

Back