Amp And Pedal Combinations We Like...

László

Too Many Notes
I'm an edge-of-breakup player. I don't play 100% clean, but I don't play with a ton of gain. Please take my comments bearing that in mind!

Also, we can all agree that much depends on amps and guitars we use these pedals with. Anyway, enough with the disclaimers. Let's discuss what's working for us currently!

I use a Pettyjohn EQ pedal called the Filter with my Mesa amps and the DG30. It's always on with those amps. I cut a tiny bit of bass with it, and I add a tiny bit of high frequency push. I should stress the word, 'tiny', yet it makes all the difference in the world. The thing I've always loved about Fender and Vox amps is that extra high frequency push, and the fact that the low end is well-controlled. This pedal takes me there. It's also got what I'd call "on the mark' midrange studio EQ settings. It also adds character that for some reason works perfectly with these amps.

There was a Pettyjohn pedal called The Edge that's great for a little bit of extra glassiness and push into the same three amps, the Fillmore, the Lone Star and the DG30. As with the Filter, they're not making them any more, which is a shame. The pedal is wonderful. It's an extremely low gain pedal that is simply a "better-maker." I got mine with an optional vintage diode that suits my purposes.

Pettyjohn also made a pedal called the Chime Mk II. Mine has optional discrete op-amps. It needs at least 400mA of pedalboard power. But it's got a ton of headroom, and I use it with the DG 30 when I want a 'crushed glass' AC30-oriented sound from it.

I use delay with nearly everything. I run my delay into the front of my amps, I'm not an effects loop person. Yes, I know, heavy distortion can mess up delay tones, but I play 'edge of breakup' and I don't give a rat's ass about heavy guitar sounds. I don't need a loop, and don't like the way they sound. So there! My delays come mostly from the H9s in combination, because I like a little micropitch shift with my delays.

My other pedals are used for modulation or compression. They're not my most-used options, but they're there when I need them. I have stuff from Suhr that's wonderful (Alexa chorus, Koji Comp, and Jackrabbit Tremolo).

The HXDA needs no pedals, except I'll run a little delay, and sometimes add a big reverb with my second H9. Yup, right into the front of the amp, old-school!

Hey, I'm old. I went to school, I played in bands in school. Like there's problem? ;)

What are your favorites?

Last edited:
I have a variety of amps, usually Dr. Z Z-28, Therapy or Maz 18. I have Barber Dual Discrete pedals for the board and at home. The pedals have 2 Direct Drive Super Sports and the switching is on/off and channel A or B. This gives me a purely clean, mild overdrive and what I call "over the top." It has worked well for me for 10 years or so. I have other amps the pedal works great with and many other pedals, but the Dual Discrete pedals always get me where I want to go.

I come from the Heavier tone side of things in most instances. If I can go straight amp and not boost it that is my preference. When I play dirty I don't use a lot of effects but at times will dust with a bit of delay and reverb from time to time depending on what i am doing. Clean tones, I love using all kinds of things. I will list a few as I could be here all day throwing out things and will revisit and post more as they come to mind. :)

I love the Peper's Dirty Tree pedal with a Mesa Dual Rec or Badlander. Great tight riff tones that are just heavy and cut. Beautiful stuff!!

For that Grind/ Chainsaw type tone I have been enjoying playing my Sound City Master Lead 50 with the Klirrton Grindstein or Oh My Goat pedals. Very cool sound and that Sound City amp is a great amp to use pedals with. It also does the Sabbath tones well when you throw the Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabbra and Naga Viper pedals on it.

For clean sounds, I have been enjoying my PRS Archon with my Free The Tone Flight Time and Future Factory and some Black Hole.

The Diezel Herbert is possibly the best clean channel on a high gain amp with some Mad Professor Dual Blue Delay and Empress Reverb. Throw a little Klon in the mix if needed for some slight edge of breakup and it is nice.

The pedals I am the most picky about are overdrives. I have an OCD version 4.7 that sounds great through every amp I have plugged it into. I have compared my pedal to some friend's OCD pedals and mine sound different. Mine is a little smoother and rounder with less harsh top end that others I have compared it to. I also have one of the limited run OCD GE pedals that I like a lot. It sounds a bit different than my other OCD pedal.

I typically play a clean amp then use OD pedals in front of it. The amp I use is a hand built modified Vibrolux circuit with 2x10 open back combo. Another OD that has performed very well with this amp is the Friedman Dirty Shirley.

I don't typically run a lot of effects. I like a touch of reverb and once in a while a little delay. I like to be able to get tones from pure clean to medium overdrive. I do that by starting with a clean amp and 3 OD pedals and a clean boost on my board. One of the ODs is a two sided OD so I technically have 4. :) I have them set to different levels of gain and I can stack them if I really want to saturate things.

Bogner XTC and an Empress Para-EQ in the loop. :)

Roccaforte HG-100 and a Pro Tone Gary Holt Boost out front. Thrash Heaven right there!

Back when I had my 20th Anniv Shiva I really did like adding the Xotic EP booster to the front end - really liked that tone. Just couldn't justify having such a massive amp in the house anymore so away it went. Maybe one day I will find a nice lunchbox amp to replace it

Geez, what was I thinking - I left some favorite pedals/processors out!! :eek:

I love the Xotic BB with the DG30, as well as the OCD. Both do great things with that amp! The original Klon (I don't have one, but I've had several in my studio as well as the Klon KTR) is a pedal that sounds incredible driving a Fender style amp to the edge of breakup (looking at you Fillmore, Lone Star and Tweed Deluxe).

You think your Klone is a true Klon? Think again. The various clones may indeed be excellent pedals. They're just not the same, and there's nothing wrong with thst. Come as close as you can if you're into that tone, and I have no problem with it.

I still think the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo is the finest EP tape echo ever made. I also LOVE the vintage Roland RE tape delays, and don't even get me started on the beauty of a vintage Echorec (Yes, I've tried one). The EP Boost is a great pedal (I had one), but it isn't the same as a real Echoplex preamp, tube or solid-state. I've logged time on both.

Know what's also great? If you can get your hands on one, the original Eventide H3000 D/SE. It was designed for guitar, is true stereo, and sounds amazing. I wish to hell I hadn't sold mine!! Regrest? I've had a few...

Then there's the TC Electronic M5000. Very expensive at the time, but unbelievably good for echo and delay in a rack system. The reverbs are among the best I've ever heard. An unsung hero box.

"No one uses rack systems any more, Les."

"They SHOULD!!! I should!!! What am I even thinking not having a great rack system?!!!"

Last edited:
Geez, what was I thinking - I left some favorite pedals/processors out!! :eek:

I love the Xotic BB with the DG30, as well as the OCD. Both do great things with that amp! The original Klon (I don't have one, but I've had several in my studio as well as the Klon KTR) is a pedal that sounds incredible driving a Fender style amp to the edge of breakup (looking at you Fillmore, Lone Star and Tweed Deluxe). You think your Klone is a true Klon? Think again.

I still think the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo is the finest EP tape echo ever made. I also LOVE the vintage Roland RE tape delays, and don't even get me started on the beauty of a vintage Echorec (Yes, I've tried one).

Know what's also great? If you can get your hands on one, the original Eventide H3000 D/SE. It was designed for guitar, is true stereo, and sounds amazing. I wish to hell I hadn't sold mine!!

Then there's the TC Electronic M5000. Very expensive at the time, but unbelievably good for echo and delay in a rack system. The reverbs are among the best I've ever heard. An unsung hero box.

"No one uses rack systems any more, Les."

"They SHOULD!!! I should!!! What am I even thinking not having a great rack system?!!!"
I used a rack system up until about 3 years ago or so. I still have it I just don't use it (terrified to let it go).
Spoiler alert it has an ADA MP2 driving it with a mesa boogie 2:90 Stereo power amp. The multi-effects was nothing much to speak of I think it was a Boss SE-50 or something. Right now I get more out of my pedal board effects

Les did you feel that the Klon and he Klon KTR were the same or different ?

I used a rack system up until about 3 years ago or so. I still have it I just don't use it (terrified to let it go).
Spoiler alert it has an ADA MP2 driving it with a mesa boogie 2:90 Stereo power amp. The multi-effects was nothing much to speak of I think it was a Boss SE-50 or something. Right now I get more out of my pedal board effects

Les did you feel that the Klon and he Klon KTR were the same or different ?
They were ever so slightly different, but I was going on memory. I did get my son a KTR for a birthday a few years ago, and he loves it.

Original Klons have shot up in price so much that I can't justify the expense of buying one, much to my chagrin. One of my best friends has the gold horse Klon NOS in a box, unused. If he'd price it fairly, I'd buy it. On the other hand, if he decides to sell, more power to him in getting the best price whenever that happens!

They were ever so slightly different, but I was going on memory. I did get my son a KTR for a birthday a few years ago, and he loves it.

Original Klons have shot up in price so much that I can't justify the expense of buying one, much to my chagrin. One of my best friends has the gold horse Klon NOS in a box, unused. If he'd price it fairly, I'd buy it. On the other hand, if he decides to sell, more power to him in getting the best price whenever that happens!
I have played a few of the gold and silver klons but never the KTR so was curious. I am with you I cannot justify that kind of an expense lol

Bogner XTC and an Empress Para-EQ in the loop. :)

Roccaforte HG-100 and a Pro Tone Gary Holt Boost out front. Thrash Heaven right there!
I’d think that para-EQ could either add the last degree of magic, or the ability to completely transform, and either with just about any amp. Always wanted to try one of those. I have a single band para EQ pedal that I built, but to have 3 bands of sweepable EQ… that’s pretty trick in a pedal.

I’d think that para-EQ could either add the last degree of magic, or the ability to completely transform, and either with just about any amp. Always wanted to try one of those. I have a single band para EQ pedal that I built, but to have 3 bands of sweepable EQ… that’s pretty trick in a pedal.
It is a must have pedal IMO. Great to have laying around for all kinds of things. You should get one for sure.

Speaking of Klons...The Mesa TC-100 on the crunch channel juiced in the front with a Klon is absolute dynamite! Hit it with a little reverb and some ping pong delay (or any nice delay really) and you can imagine being in a stadium rocking out to your hearts content with that tone.

It is a must have pedal IMO. Great to have laying around for all kinds of things. You should get one for sure.
Quick search last night shows that A) it's out of production and B) it must be some kind of cult classic. Some listed for $575 online!

Quick search last night shows that A) it's out of production and B) it must be some kind of cult classic. Some listed for $575 online!
They can be had for less for sure. A lot of pedals are over priced right now and the manufacturers are having a harder time getting them out. I can' imagine Empress gave up on it forever. Still, worth getting one for sure.

Back