The "Forum Package"

Would you pay to have a "Forum Package" on a new PRS?

• Total voters

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Let me start with a short prayer:
"Dear Paul, who art in Stevensville, protect me in my pure and heartfelt efforts!"

So @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© recently posted a new iteration of the "Forum Guitar" project and I respect his efforts. My suggestion of cosmetic features only was dismissed, and that is fine. It is a beautiful design he created (after seeing the mock up, total respect), but not what I would be looking for in my next PRS, as much as I would like to be a part of the owners club of an exclusive forum members guitar. I have read through some of what I could find on previous threads regarding this topic, and boy, what a pissing match (here is a link to the first one, but there are others https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-forum-guitar.2968/ ). As a result, I thought I would start a thread about what I see as an option to create something that can bring together the forum members of today AND tomorrow in a "Package" that could be purchased for any new US made PRS one chooses to acquire, assuming you meet certain criteria. I have purchased a hazmat suit with fairly thick flame retardant, so feel free to fling at me and this thread, whatever you like (rotten tomatoes, fire, locusts, etc.). I am ready ;~))

1. The "Forum Package" would allow a buyer of a new US made PRS to include some basic cosmetic features that would make this guitar exclusive (see list of my suggestions later on in this post) to forum members.

2. To qualify for the "Forum Package" on a new PRS, you would need to meet a few criteria:
  • You have been a member of the forum for at least 2 years. This would be just like the employee guitar program and I personally do not yet qualify under this criteria. Yet I think it is important to set such criteria for a forum members exclusive package or guitar. After all, I don't need a PRS to join the forum, so should I automatically be able to get this package or a limited run "Forum" guitar? I would say no, that should not be allowed!
  • During those 2 years, you have at least 24 posts on this forum (of any kind, reply or original - avg of one per month or more), and at least one post "like"
  • You already own at least one PRS.
  • If you have more than 5 years as a member of the forum, you would have special options available in your "Forum Package", if you have more than 10 years as a forum member, you have additional options available. I figure this will not happen - if ever - until >=2022 anyway, and that way all of the forum elders who have been around since 2012 would qualify for the 10 year treatment.
3. This will allow forum members of today AND tomorrow, to get an exclusive guitar that represents their commitment to participate peaceably and meaningfully in the PRS forum. It will also build the camaraderie of members of today AND tomorrow with a bond via exclusive appointments available only to forum members that meet the above criteria.

So, what are these features? Well, this of course is open to discussion, but here is what I would initially suggest.

1. All who qualify would get, for a set price on a new US Made guitar order:
  • Birds flying towards the headstock (per @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© 's Forum Guitar post - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/fgr5-would-ya.48337/).
  • TRC with "Member" or "FG" or "One" or something referencing the forum and membership printed on it.
  • An inlay at the bottom of the body. Perhaps a multi headed dragon (to represent the many forum members). Possibly a flock of birds (birds of a feather flock together). I think the birds spaced out all the way around the body edges would be a really cool option as well. Like everything else here, open to suggestions.
  • On the neck heel, maybe some inscribed words like "We Speak" or "PRS Listens" or "Ask - Receive" or "All For One" or "The Committed" or "Da' Forum". Another possibility could be the join date of forum, the forum ID number which I am sure is sequential, the number of build of these guitars. So first order over of a Forum Package guitar would be #0001, but these initial numbers should be based initially, on join date seniority. That way, if the 4th person to join the forum can not buy his/hers for a year or two after first being offered, that number is still available to them when they are ready. It is a set block of numbers, and after the program is launched, they would just be numbered sequentially starting with the highest set number +1.
  • Forum name (so for me Moondog Wily) on the back of headstock (i.e. "Built 4 forum member Moondog Wily" or "Built For The Committed Moondog Wily").
  • Eagle (maybe a baby eagle for those with less than 5 years membership) on headstock with banner reading "Member" or "Forum Forever" or something else forum/membership related.
2. Those who have forum membership of 5 years or more would also have:
  • Special headstock eagle inlay with a banner across the eagle that says "5 Years" or "Forum 5" or something else related to forum/membership.
  • Choice of inlay material on body.
3. Those who have forum membership of 10 years or more, would have all of the above plus/instead:
  • Owl headstock inlay with a banner hanging from the branch under the Owl that says "10 Years" or "Forum 10" or "Elder" or "Wise One" or something else. Maybe a long beard growing on the owl!!
  • Choice of all inlay materials, headstock, body base, fret, etc.
  • Choice of ink color used for serial number and writings on the back of headstock.
I think this is a great forum specific treatment (package) for the following reasons.

1. Members today AND tomorrow will be able to participate and own a guitar with these exclusive appointments.

2. One will need to show a commitment to both the forum and PRS ownership (owned at least one previously and willing to get another) before being able to purchase one of these (as mentioned above, I do not yet qualify on the criteria I propose based on having just joined in Feb 2021 and I am fine with that).

3. Members will be able to get a guitar that they really want, while still having it be part of an ongoing exclusive series of guitars from PRS. That means the color you want, the neck you want, the model you want, electric OR acoustic, yada yada yada, but with custom appointments that others can not get without ordering a PS (and even then, some of these exclusive features would not be available to them if they did not qualify under the "Forum Package" rules because they are forum specific appointments).

4. I believe all these features could be included in a new PRS for a reasonable upcharge of maybe $300-$500. I could be way off on that, but I don't believe anything I have outlined here is really all that difficult nor requires new machining, yet it makes each guitar unique and part of a family that will continue to grow, assuming arms stay open to accept new family members.

Hate it, like it, tell the moderators to spike it, all good. Just putting a suggestion out there. Respect to @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© for his efforts in the limited run Forum Guitar. I am sure he spent a lot of time on it (as well as previous iterations), and the sh!t show that the first one generated (2013 - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-forum-guitar.2968/) speaks volumes about his commitment to get something like that done. I am just hoping for a forum treatment that is available now and in the future to tie together with inlays and inscriptions, one big happy family who have one thing in common, LOVE 4 PRS!

Happy pickin'!
MW

It’s a cool idea, but I feel all this would cost a lot more than $500 extra. These might be more feasible additions on a private stock where the upcharge is already considerable, but making all these extra appointments available to any core guitar is asking I lot. As far as I can tell, there’s not really a great deal separating this from PS aside from hardware and wood selection, as each guitar would effectively be unique.

I voted no. I’m pretty new here and to PRS so take it for what it’s worth (nothing). I guess my thinking is that I already love the PRS aesthetics and can’t really see myself paying extra to change anything. And, speaking for myself, I am 100% positive that I can’t spec a guitar better than Paul can. And I think it could still somehow become a point of contention for the forum members. With this many people, there will never be a consensus. From what I can tell, everyone is here because they love PRS guitars, and for different reasons. And PRS already makes a bunch of different guitars that appeal to a bunch of different people.

I applaud your efforts...

Dude...you just spec'd a Private Stock...

Nevermind that an Artist package or Wood Library has never been as low as $300-500

I thought the same thing reading it. Good effort my man but this is private stock talk to me and going to rack up quick.

Can I please just get a TRC?

You certainly seem to have a lot of spare time. That was a novella. :D:D:D

Let me start with a short prayer:
"Dear Paul, who art in Stevensville, protect me in my pure and heartfelt efforts!"

So @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© recently posted a new iteration of the "Forum Guitar" project and I respect his efforts. My suggestion of cosmetic features only was dismissed, and that is fine. It is a beautiful design he created (after seeing the mock up, total respect), but not what I would be looking for in my next PRS, as much as I would like to be a part of the owners club of an exclusive forum members guitar. I have read through some of what I could find on previous threads regarding this topic, and boy, what a pissing match (here is a link to the first one, but there are others https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-forum-guitar.2968/ ). As a result, I thought I would start a thread about what I see as an option to create something that can bring together the forum members of today AND tomorrow in a "Package" that could be purchased for any new US made PRS one chooses to acquire, assuming you meet certain criteria. I have purchased a hazmat suit with fairly thick flame retardant, so feel free to fling at me and this thread, whatever you like (rotten tomatoes, fire, locusts, etc.). I am ready ;~))

1. The "Forum Package" would allow a buyer of a new US made PRS to include some basic cosmetic features that would make this guitar exclusive (see list of my suggestions later on in this post) to forum members.

2. To qualify for the "Forum Package" on a new PRS, you would need to meet a few criteria:
  • You have been a member of the forum for at least 2 years. This would be just like the employee guitar program and I personally do not yet qualify under this criteria. Yet I think it is important to set such criteria for a forum members exclusive package or guitar. After all, I don't need a PRS to join the forum, so should I automatically be able to get this package or a limited run "Forum" guitar? I would say no, that should not be allowed!
  • During those 2 years, you have at least 24 posts on this forum (of any kind, reply or original - avg of one per month or more), and at least one post "like"
  • You already own at least one PRS.
  • If you have more than 5 years as a member of the forum, you would have special options available in your "Forum Package", if you have more than 10 years as a forum member, you have additional options available. I figure this will not happen - if ever - until >=2022 anyway, and that way all of the forum elders who have been around since 2012 would qualify for the 10 year treatment.
3. This will allow forum members of today AND tomorrow, to get an exclusive guitar that represents their commitment to participate peaceably and meaningfully in the PRS forum. It will also build the camaraderie of members of today AND tomorrow with a bond via exclusive appointments available only to forum members that meet the above criteria.

So, what are these features? Well, this of course is open to discussion, but here is what I would initially suggest.

1. All who qualify would get, for a set price on a new US Made guitar order:
  • Birds flying towards the headstock (per @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© 's Forum Guitar post - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/fgr5-would-ya.48337/).
  • TRC with "Member" or "FG" or "One" or something referencing the forum and membership printed on it.
  • An inlay at the bottom of the body. Perhaps a multi headed dragon (to represent the many forum members). Possibly a flock of birds (birds of a feather flock together). I think the birds spaced out all the way around the body edges would be a really cool option as well. Like everything else here, open to suggestions.
  • On the neck heel, maybe some inscribed words like "We Speak" or "PRS Listens" or "Ask - Receive" or "All For One" or "The Committed" or "Da' Forum". Another possibility could be the join date of forum, the forum ID number which I am sure is sequential, the number of build of these guitars. So first order over of a Forum Package guitar would be #0001, but these initial numbers should be based initially, on join date seniority. That way, if the 4th person to join the forum can not buy his/hers for a year or two after first being offered, that number is still available to them when they are ready. It is a set block of numbers, and after the program is launched, they would just be numbered sequentially starting with the highest set number +1.
  • Forum name (so for me Moondog Wily) on the back of headstock (i.e. "Built 4 forum member Moondog Wily" or "Built For The Committed Moondog Wily").
  • Eagle (maybe a baby eagle for those with less than 5 years membership) on headstock with banner reading "Member" or "Forum Forever" or something else forum/membership related.
2. Those who have forum membership of 5 years or more would also have:
  • Special headstock eagle inlay with a banner across the eagle that says "5 Years" or "Forum 5" or something else related to forum/membership.
  • Choice of inlay material on body.
3. Those who have forum membership of 10 years or more, would have all of the above plus/instead:
  • Owl headstock inlay with a banner hanging from the branch under the Owl that says "10 Years" or "Forum 10" or "Elder" or "Wise One" or something else. Maybe a long beard growing on the owl!!
  • Choice of all inlay materials, headstock, body base, fret, etc.
  • Choice of ink color used for serial number and writings on the back of headstock.
I think this is a great forum specific treatment (package) for the following reasons.

1. Members today AND tomorrow will be able to participate and own a guitar with these exclusive appointments.

2. One will need to show a commitment to both the forum and PRS ownership (owned at least one previously and willing to get another) before being able to purchase one of these (as mentioned above, I do not yet qualify on the criteria I propose based on having just joined in Feb 2021 and I am fine with that).

3. Members will be able to get a guitar that they really want, while still having it be part of an ongoing exclusive series of guitars from PRS. That means the color you want, the neck you want, the model you want, electric OR acoustic, yada yada yada, but with custom appointments that others can not get without ordering a PS (and even then, some of these exclusive features would not be available to them if they did not qualify under the "Forum Package" rules because they are forum specific appointments).

4. I believe all these features could be included in a new PRS for a reasonable upcharge of maybe $300-$500. I could be way off on that, but I don't believe anything I have outlined here is really all that difficult nor requires new machining, yet it makes each guitar unique and part of a family that will continue to grow, assuming arms stay open to accept new family members.

Hate it, like it, tell the moderators to spike it, all good. Just putting a suggestion out there. Respect to @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© for his efforts in the limited run Forum Guitar. I am sure he spent a lot of time on it (as well as previous iterations), and the sh!t show that the first one generated (2013 - https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-forum-guitar.2968/) speaks volumes about his commitment to get something like that done. I am just hoping for a forum treatment that is available now and in the future to tie together with inlays and inscriptions, one big happy family who have one thing in common, LOVE 4 PRS!

Happy pickin'!
MW

I voted no, but not because it's a bad idea or anything.

I like the Wood Library guitars Jack Gretz specs. His taste and mine gibe perfectly. So I wouldn't pay extra for something for the forum - as much as I like the forum!!

This thread "forum package" is kinda creepy to me. I think of the adult magazine "forum" back in the day and think no, disgusting. Then this image comes to mind when I relate it to the PRS forum package thread and for some reason, Sergio. Heck no...o_O

Hope ya'll think it is funny,I do

images

This thread "forum package" is kinda creepy to me. I think of the adult magazine "forum" back in the day and think no, disgusting. Then this image comes to mind when I relate it to the PRS forum package thread and for some reason, Sergio. Heck no...o_O

images

Kind of a small beak on that eagle, don'tcha think? :p

Thanks to all for reading my novella and responding! The feedback is very much appreciated!!

As for the "package" title, glad someone finally picked up on the "in the gutter" reference I purposely chose! That is what I was hoping for, that someone would start the "balls" rolling on some gutter references to the title, and @Audie wins!!! Be glad I don't post a picture of me in a speedo, not only would I likely be banned for cruel and unusual posting, but the image would also haunt many for the rest of their days (much more so than the picture above)!

Happy pickin'!
MW

images

Rawr!
Kind of a small beak on that eagle, don'tcha think? :p

Nobody ever complained about a little bit of freedom. Small beaks can get into more places.

Back