PRS color advertised not what you get

Man, I’d love to see a picture of this outside in daylight.

I agree, it looks green from the photo.

always black white or red, always!
Right on!

Black is awesome and playing a black acoustic now. White is so cool that my last two vehicles were white so needed some color in my life. I wanted this electric guitar to be an electric color and the sapphire shown in the ads were 220v. VERY disappointed in being denied.
PRS shows a nice scarlet and love the Floyd red if those were actually the colors you would receive but after being burned on the sapphire I just cant trust PRS to deliver what they advertise.

Man, I’d love to see a picture of this outside in daylight.

I agree, it looks green from the photo.

So the photo did show up on my post?
The guitar is sitting in its box waiting for Monday pickup. So your wish is my command I will unpack and take a photo outside.

Oh man, I can’t wait to see the smoked amber. That’s a cool color.

How mad would you be if that one showed up and it looked orange?

Reactions: jxe
So if I read this right your giving up on PRS because one dealer takes crappy poorly lit pics, so all PRS guitars must be sh!t? Makes sense to me.
Chill.
Did I ever say PRS were ****? Not much is going to make sense to you if you are going to meld your opinion into my post. I tried this guitar and loved it but is not even close to the color in the dealers and the PRS ads and when I buy something online I expect to get something that looks like what was advertised.

Oh man, I can’t wait to see the smoked amber. That’s a cool color.

How mad would you be if that one showed up and it looked orange?
Thank you brother, that is my point. Some may love orange but not what I ordered.
Are you familiar with Murphys law? I am one and it is a curse.
The smoked amber guitar was bought a Sweetwater and shipped to my brothers because Sweetwater does not ship to Mexico, where I am living. He opened the box and sent me photos of the guitar before shipping to me through UPS and although a bit darker than in the PRS photos it is still awesome. Sweetwater also sent me photos of the actual guitar before shipping. I would buy from Sweetwater again but shipping and customs just too expensive.
Anyhow, that guitar is in UPS limbo and told to file a lost claim. So instead of receiving two cool guitars last weekend, I got as headache!

Thank you brother, that is my point. Some may love orange but not what I ordered.
Are you familiar with Murphys law? I am one and it is a curse.
The smoked amber guitar was bought a Sweetwater and shipped to my brothers because Sweetwater does not ship to Mexico, where I am living. He opened the box and sent me photos of the guitar before shipping to me through UPS and although a bit darker than in the PRS photos it is still awesome. Sweetwater also sent me photos of the actual guitar before shipping. I would buy from Sweetwater again but shipping and customs just too expensive.
Anyhow, that guitar is in UPS limbo and told to file a lost claim. So instead of receiving two cool guitars last weekend, I got as headache!

Yes the amber is amber not at all orange. Orange is one of my least favorite colors but the amber is subtle but sweet. I just went to my brothers photos but unable to copy to post but the PRS ads show a smoked amber that was very close to what I received if you want to see.
Wish I had one.

Colors vary. If you don’t like it, return the guitar. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill :)
Sorry if the post came across that way. I posted that I had no problem returning. However I did see an awesome guitar for sale and bought it only to receive a guitar no one would mistake for the one in the ad. By the way waiting at home for a day for delivery, now three days for pickup, and hours of emails was not a mountain but a hassle instead of a joy. Hoping others not going through the same thing so posted and get an idea how widespread the problem.

I had read that a few people were disappointed with the top of their 35th Anniversary SE CU. They had received a color that resembled yellow black burst instead of the gold black burst stated in the specs. So before buying mine I asked the manager of the PRS distributor here in Greece to send me a few pics of the guitar so I could decide if I wanted to proceed with the purchase. He said that some guitars, especially one with a flame top, are hard to accurately photograph and that I should try and go by his store the see the guitar in person. I appreciated his honesty on the subject and considered he did have a point and made the 2,5 hour drive to check the guitar out in person.

Beautiful guitar!
Good advise. It was only the second guitar I had bought online and the first seller sent me photos of the actual guitar prior to shipping and the color so close to ad I made the mistake of assuming all the ads showed guitars with colors that were close to what was in their ads.

I have tried to replay to this thread a few times, but keep deleting my comments because I don’t want to be a jerk about this. You have had a bad experience and don’t deserve to be dumped on.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of your original post was to let everyone know that you are done with PRS, and to see if others have also been disappointed in the color of their guitars.

Yes people have been unhappy with the color of their guitars. The details are anything from something like yours, where the underlying color of the wood and the mix of the stain resulted in something different than the intended color, to some saying their Pomegranate Glow Private Stock doesn’t pop the way an earlier guitar in the same color did. Or their Northern Lights Private Stock had all the blue fade out of it with sun exposure.

They all have one thing in common. Woods and dyes our stains vary. Every one will be different. That the dealer has several Sapphire guitars that look green is probably a result in of the guitars being made from a stack of lumber that was more yellow than the typical maple coloration they work with. At that price point it isn’t cost effective to stop production and adjust the formula to get a better result. They know there is variety in the results of their process and those results fall into a standard that is acceptable. Somebody else will love the color, so no big deal.

it’s too bad this common knowledge about guitars was not part of your understanding when you decided to buy a guitar without seeing it first. Even if the dealer provides pictures, you don’t know what it will look like until you have it in your hands. That is just the way it is.

No, you can’t trust PRS or the dealer to provide you with a duplicate of some other guitar. But you can trust that they are not trying to deceive anyone or to play any games with their customers.

You have to take some responsibility in this situation. You didn’t do your research. I don’t think you were being irresponsible. You simply didn’t know that you needed to do a little more investigation to make sure you were getting exactly what you wanted.

If you are done with PRS, well that is your call. But you are missing out on some great guitars.

I'm not interested in dumping on you, or sticking up for the brand. If you are done so be it. I personally would not throw away a brand I liked because the color was wrong (and I agree it looks different than you expected). You have the remedy. Return that one and have them send you better photos of others. You may have to search but you can find the color you want. Someone has that color or you wouldn't have seen it in the original photo. If that color moves you enough, go find it. Sure beats dumping a brand that has all the other features you want.

I have tried to replay to this thread a few times, but keep deleting my comments because I don’t want to be a jerk about this. You have had a bad experience and don’t deserve to be dumped on.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of your original post was to let everyone know that you are done with PRS, and to see if others have also been disappointed in the color of their guitars.

Yes people have been unhappy with the color of their guitars. The details are anything from something like yours, where the underlying color of the wood and the mix of the stain resulted in something different than the intended color, to some saying their Pomegranate Glow Private Stock doesn’t pop the way an earlier guitar in the same color did. Or their Northern Lights Private Stock had all the blue fade out of it with sun exposure.

They all have one thing in common. Woods and dyes our stains vary. Every one will be different. That the dealer has several Sapphire guitars that look green is probably a result in of the guitars being made from a stack of lumber that was more yellow than the typical maple coloration they work with. At that price point it isn’t cost effective to stop production and adjust the formula to get a better result. They know there is variety in the results of their process and those results fall into a standard that is acceptable. Somebody else will love the color, so no big deal.

it’s too bad this common knowledge about guitars was not part of your understanding when you decided to buy a guitar without seeing it first. Even if the dealer provides pictures, you don’t know what it will look like until you have it in your hands. That is just the way it is.

No, you can’t trust PRS or the dealer to provide you with a duplicate of some other guitar. But you can trust that they are not trying to deceive anyone or to play any games with their customers.

You have to take some responsibility in this situation. You didn’t do your research. I don’t think you were being irresponsible. You simply didn’t know that you needed to do a little more investigation to make sure you were getting exactly what you wanted.

If you are done with PRS, well that is your call. But you are missing out on some great guitars.
I'm not interested in dumping on you, or sticking up for the brand. If you are done so be it. I personally would not throw away a brand I liked because the color was wrong (and I agree it looks different than you expected). You have the remedy. Return that one and have them send you better photos of others. You may have to search but you can find the color you want. Someone has that color or you wouldn't have seen it in the original photo. If that color moves you enough, go find it. Sure beats dumping a brand that has all the other features you want.

You are right and not a jerk. First guitar bought online and lesson learned.
Problem for me is access to another dealer as the only distributer for PRS in Mexico is Guitargear which is online sales only and have already told me that the rest of the sapphire guitars they have look like mine so out of luck buying the guitar I wanted from the PRS ad. There was a bit of kicking and crying like a child and I do hope to grow up but there were unrealistic hopes. I'll get over it. No one ships directly to Mexico so had to ship to brother to ship to me and shipping with customs is very expensive so other dealers not an option. I know because I had my brother ship me a Ce24 from Sweetwater days before which has been lost by UPS so a bit out of sorts from a weekend of disappointment.

It was a combination of buying a Ce24 through Sweetwater which ended up getting lost by UPS then ordering the Se24 only to receive a totally unexpected color. Lost two guitars in a matter of days. Im sure I will get over it. I had watched a lot of youtube videos on PRS guitars and saw there were many PRS guitars shown. I've probably seen between 25-50 PRS guitars and all were different but they were all basically much like the photos in ads and all the same color as the ads so I accepted the fact the guitar would be different than the ad but did not expect a different color.
Knowing what I now know, thanks to posts, I would certainly get a photo before committing to another guitar. I waited three weeks for the UPS delivery date then a few days before buying the CE. Now waiting on the UPS lost claim and return of the ce so buying a guitar has become a two month process freezing my enthusiasm for a new guitar. I will accept my part of the blame, PRS expressed that " The color appears to be quite dark from the photo and "more greenish than blue". They are forwarding to a manager to review but advised me to just return if not satisfied.

Sorry if the post came across that way. I posted that I had no problem returning. However I did see an awesome guitar for sale and bought it only to receive a guitar no one would mistake for the one in the ad. By the way waiting at home for a day for delivery, now three days for pickup, and hours of emails was not a mountain but a hassle instead of a joy. Hoping others not going through the same thing so posted and get an idea how widespread the problem.
Bottom line is I only order guitars from places that show the photos of the actual guitar for sale.

Back