What don't you like about PRS guitars?

Mayfly

We all love 'em, that's why we're here. But every company needs negative feedback as well. So what don't you like about PRS guitars?

My personal gripe is the fact that the guitar cable socket is on the bottom edge - for those who play sitting down most of the time, it ain't optimal. Were there any PRSs' with a front mounted socket? I don't remember seeing any...

You can probably tell, this is hardly a major problem though:proud:. Any other things which could be improved/changed?

My only gripe is that there is no SE or S2 bass yet :D
Other than that, I have no complaints, and I can really find no fault with the guitars themselves, even the jack position is fine for me.

We all love 'em, that's why we're here. But every company needs negative feedback as well. So what don't you like about PRS guitars?

My personal gripe is the fact that the guitar cable socket is on the bottom edge - for those who play sitting down most of the time, it ain't optimal. Were there any PRSs' with a front mounted socket? I don't remember seeing any...

You can probably tell, this is hardly a major problem though:proud:. Any other things which could be improved/changed?

Hey Mayfly,

A good solution for this is a right-angle jack on your instrument cable. That way the cable won't poke into whatever you happen to be sitting on.

cable.jpg

No complaints! Every year things get better and better and 2014 has seen a few new things that have made me so happy in hopes of progression in that direction - mainly the Archon and CU24 Floyd. The Archon is a straight up, unrelenting metal amp and the Floyd is essentially a metal guitar with the maple neck and \m/ pickups! The bridge is the only thing preventing me from moving all my Customs and getting some but I know some people love Floyds so its cool.

I pretty much loves everything about PRS guitars from tuners to strapbuttons.What i dont like is the floating tremolo,it works great but sucks alot of tone out of the instrument.The original onepiece trem sounds better.The other thing im not 100 % sure of is the neckpocket design.PRS has a tendency to sound weak high up on the neck.Somehow all the old clumpsy big neckheel designs of other brand x companies still sounds the best i think.In my mind the 513,305,DC3 and NF3 neck heel is an improvement.

I've said this before, but I don't like the change from the old rotary switch to the new blade switch. I'd be content if the rotary switch was still an option.

I'm not digging the recent use of the three way blade switches. I'm also still bummed about the lack of moons or other simpler inlays on most models nowadays. Birds aren't for me, and I'd rather have the option to save some money to have a more traditional inlay. I'm not a fan of their soft nut material; I'd rather have a nice bone nut instead.

I'll note that I'm one of the pickiest people around when it comes to guitars.

I love PRS guitars, so the list of things I like is much longer than the list of things I'm not so crazy about. But here's my wish list, offered in the spirit of "constant improvement":

1.) Should be able to get any standard PRS neck carve on any model without going Private Stock. I would like one of the new Floyd Rose-equipped Custom 24s, but Pattern Thin is a no-go for me. It's fine to have a stock configuration for each model, but alternatives should be available as options that don't break the bank. I mean, it's basically just a matter of using a different CNC router program, no? The hand-sanding and finishing which follows happens on all of them regardless of carve.

2.) While we're at it...a neck carve bigger than the traditional wide-fat or Pattern would be welcome. Doesn't need to be a "Nocaster"-style baseball bat...just a little bigger.

3.) I like toggle switches better than blade switches. I don't like the rotary switches, but those are mostly gone now (and none of my current guitars have them.)

4.) On some of the guitars that do have blade switches (like the P22), the switch is in the wrong place. For me, it should be where a Stratocaster's blade switch is, although YMMV. The blade switch on my P22 in essentially "under" the volume/tone controls when in playing position, and that makes it hard to get to in a hurry, which is frequently how I need it.

Out of curiosity - what is it that makes a toggle superior to a blade in your opinion(s)?

Dislikes: GAS should be a fuel, not something to be fueled...........

On the other hand....

Too many BRW limited editions that aren't/can't be sold outside the US. Lovely wood n' all but I would have taken a very serious look at that walnut semi HB that came out recently if it were legal for me to do so here, for example. There seem to be lots of others, often in the guise of "NOS" but surely some could be done with IRW or something else for the foreign market.

One thing I do notice is that PRS doesn't make a lot of lefties! Especially the SEs. Although I'm a righty, I feel the need to voice this out for the sake of equality. :laugh:

Other than that...

I'd really want PRS SEs to be factory fitted with 10s. I mean, seriously, 9s on a 24.5'' gauge? It's like rubberband slinky! Some people like Santana likes it light, but I don't see a lot of players around liking it. Plus, most of the nuts come filed for 9s and fitting 10s will cause tuning problems. If the nut is filed for 10s, 9s will fit just as well. So, why not? :confused:

Out of curiosity - what is it that makes a toggle superior to a blade in your opinion(s)?

I don't think the toggle or the blade is superior to the other, but they're more of a preference thing. Some people like it to look more classic with just a toggle, while some prefer the extra tones given by the 5-way blade.

Last edited:
The single side dot at the 12th fret on models before 2007--not a fan. I am visually impaired and need all the help I can get.

I'd love to see PRS switch to this type of output jack. They might be harder to replace but they sure seem durable and of higher quality.

f1xm.jpg

I can't really think of anything else I would change.

I can't think of much of the top of my head except that some artist package guitars you can't substitute pickups. I get it on the 408, Paul's and 513. But, namely the P-2X models...I'd like to be able to put different pickups in. Also in regards to pickups, it would be nice to be able to order replacements either covered or squabbin. I lust after squabbin \m/ pickups that are coming stock in the Floyd 24. Would be nice to be able to put them in a P-22 artist package.
Hey Mayfly,

A good solution for this is a right-angle jack on your instrument cable. That way the cable won't poke into whatever you happen to be sitting on.

View attachment 1232
That's what I was going to suggest.

Last edited:
I'm new to the PRS family and overall I feel as though these are the guitars I have been waiting for my whole playing life, but I will say that there are two things that I have noticed:
1. I echo the comment about 9's on a 24.5" scale guitar. When I bought my SE245 it was actually difficult to play because the strings were too light. I think at least this model should come with 10's as standard as the Bernie's do.
2. Perhaps not related to some deficiency in the guitars themselves, but the parts are priced astronomically for no apparent reason. Even the "G" company prices its parts as relative bargains in comparison and I just don't understand it. The cost of the US bridge is obscene for a simple piece of CNC'd aluminum, and I don't know what those lampshade knobs are made of but for the absurd price (for a set of only 2 no less!) I sure hope it is something rare and unique.

Back