What don't you like about PRS guitars?

The 10 fretboard radius. When I bought my Custom 24 I had a heck of a time really getting the feel for that radius.
I own old Grover Jackson era Washburn USA MG's and old Carvins and still feel more comfortable playing solos on those necks because of the flatter boards ( Carvins are 16 Washburns 20 so to me the PRS at first felt like I was trying to bend uphill like on my old 9.5 Strat). I wish PRS would at the least go to a 12 or offer options.
I also am having fret wear issues with my 07 Custom 24. The frets on this one are awful soft for a guitar in this price range. The wire on my PRS is MUCH softer that the frets on my old Carvins and Washburns and I sincerely hope they all are not this soft.

Last edited:
That I dont have enough of them ( 3 US and 2 SE's)! Plus cant afford a Private Stock

Hey, my son and I were there too, but we had to cut out at 6 PM, he had tests the next day at school.
My only "problem" with PRS's stuff is the availability of product. We got to sit in with Paul at A Sharp music on one day and Guitar Center the next, while going around. He was showing off the new Grainger bass, which my son fell in love with. We waited for release date and it came & went with no stock in any of our local shops. It's now been quite a while and I've still never seen one in a store.

Not much of a gripe though. I doubt they have the capacity/pockets to stock every store with multiple Graingers right off the bat. ;)

Hey, I do have one complaint :D
I remembered after posting about mods in another thread.

Really it is minor, and I am not sure if it can be designed differently or not, and if other guitar makers have the same problem or not.
Talking about pickup rings.
Went to change out my creme colored 408 rings for the black ones I bought last year.
Tried changing them during the summer and much to my horror (never adjusted pickup height before) when taking out the first screw for the ring the pickup height started to change, yeah I freaked out :D
Put it back in and the height was all out of whack, so I called my dealer and drover down and they readjusted it to regs for me.

Would really like an easy change out of the rings without fubaring the pickup height.
When my 408 goes to the shop for its first tuneup/adjustment, I will have the shop throw the black rings on for me.

Other than that minor issue, I am perfectly happy with all of my PRSs SEs and the 408.
Even my SEs play so much nicer than my old '73 Les Paul Deluxe I had back in the 70s, and even better than my 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG.
And the SG plays better than the old Les Paul.

I don't imagine there's anything that can be done to fix that at the manufacturer's end without taking away the adjustability. The simple solution is to measure the string height from the pickup on both 'E' strings before you remove it and then readjust the pickup when it's back in.

Last edited:
Quite jacking with the birds. Hopefully they learned from the outline/dirt bird days.

Toggle is better, and much nicer looking than a slider switch on a PRS body...

(never adjusted pickup height before) when taking out the first screw for the ring the pickup height started to change, yeah I freaked out :D
Put it back in and the height was all out of whack, so I called my dealer and drover down and they readjusted it to regs for me.

Would really like an easy change out of the rings without fubaring the pickup height.

Pickup height is easy. Assuming the string heights are correct and the playability action on the fretboard is right, depress an E string at the last fret, closest to the neck pickup, and measure from the highest point on the pickup to the UNDERSIDE of the E string. The string should not make contact with the pickup. Set the pickup height about 1/8th inch away from the string. Let go of that E string and do the same for the other E string. Do the same for the bridge pickup.

Quite jacking with the birds. Hopefully they learned from the outline/dirt bird days.

Toggle is better, and much nicer looking than a slider switch on a PRS body...

With the slider you have a single control that does a 5 way switching setup, and it's very ergonomic. Much better/faster than a toggle in combination with pulling up or pushing a knob during a session or gig. And for me, the rotary was always an issue, because I couldn't tell where it was simply by feel, and my fingers would slip when trying to switch it.

I suspect that the majority of folks who don't care for the slider base it on looks alone, not function. But functionally, it's a better deal. I suppose it doesn't matter much if you're sitting at home or whatever.

I like the outline birds so much that I ordered them on my PS acoustic! Very classy, artistic, and less showy. I also don't really want the same decor on each guitar. I like having the variety.

Just goes to show PRS can't please everyone...

Last edited:
You should look into Cave Creek Guitars just north of ya......great store ran by an awesome man! IMHO
I've been there. The guy seemed great to work with; however, his stock is not very large, especially considering I'd have to drive 50-60 miles round trip to get there. I want a Wilcutt's or a Dave's or a Music Store Live or something like that. We're the 5th largest city in the country, we deserve to have the 5th largest independent PRS dealer!

I can only imagine that Ed Roman is spinning in his grave right now because he can't respond to this thread with a 10 page manifesto on the myriad of perceived short-comings of PRS Guitars and how all these problems were rectified in his far superior Ed Roman line.

That said, I only wish I could select which neck shape I can get on my guitars. Other than that, I'm good!

I can only imagine that Ed Roman is spinning in his grave right now because he can't respond to this thread with a 10 page manifesto on the myriad of perceived short-comings of PRS Guitars and how all these problems were rectified in his far superior Ed Roman line.

That said, I only wish I could select which neck shape I can get on my guitars. Other than that, I'm good!

heh, like CnC machines are somehow a bad thing. Whatever! :rofl:

Two things I can think of...
1: They really should offer larger necks IMO. After just picking up a Gibson 359 with a "50s" neck shape, my PRS WFs feel like wide thins now. The gibson neck shape and size is just perfect. And it HAS to help tonally as well.

2: Use Nitro on everything. It just sounds better.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's for the tips on the pickup adjustments.
I have one of those credit card sized gauges I bought from Stew Mac that would be good to use for that.

String_Action_Gauge_sm.jpg
String_Action_Gauge_sm.jpg

I hate the PRS haters. Especially those who have never actually played one, and that special breed who attempt to justify their dislike by saying something like "I played a PRS once….didn't like it".

A small minded bunch clinging desperately to their small, secure world, who are terrified that there really may be something superior to their LP's and Strats, or at least something as significant.

Back