Mark Holcomb SVN Nut Question

Tom2024

Hi everyone, thanks again for all the help a couple days ago when I posted about the MH SVN I bought. I'm definitely going to return this one and appreciate all the help.

I've been thinking it over for 48 hours, and I really want a "proper one" (as one commenter put it!) BTW - this is definitely the endowment effect which is a psychological bias, but I don't care, I want this guitar! :p

Anyway, I've been poking around at some used ones and found a few in the $700-$750 range, all at Guitar Center. I could spend more somewhere else, but seeing as I'll be heading out to the Center anyway to return this one, I figured it was low effort to roll the dice again and can always show up with two returns.

This brings me to my question. Really just looking for a gut check here, but I think I have this right. 2 of the 3 guitars I'm considering have a white nut, and a serial number starting in CTIC3. The third one has a black nut and a serial number starting in CTIE6. This means that the first two are built in 2020 and the third one was built in 2022. Also, with the nut colors, at first I assumed someone replaced it, but from more reading, I understand that PRS improved the nut in 2022 model year which was a major complaint. Curious if anyone can confirm that the nut color also changed from white to black at this time, because that would really solidify what I think I know here.

With all that in mind, the third guitar's wood pattern doesn't "look" as nice. Still I think for the better nut and newer guitar I'm planning to grab that one. (It's also the most expensive of the three, but within $50 I'm calling it an immaterial difference)

Does that all sound right? Thanks again for the help!

Just let us know how it goes...I sometimes think of getting one of these SVNs but I have read about so many complaints about the nut that I have not dared to try.

The black nut should be the Core version. They haven't specifically said that it is, but all of the nut specs on their product pages say "PRS" for nut type (unless it is a model with a bone nut). A couple of people have confirmed that the black SE nuts do seem to have the brass impregnated in them like the Core nuts do. The white ones were the problematic cheap plastic ones.

Just let us know how it goes...I sometimes think of getting one of these SVNs but I have read about so many complaints about the nut that I have not dared to try.
Absolutely! Let me know if there is anything in particular I should do/try/test to provide a good review.

Back