Welcome to another "What should my first PRS be?" thread

Continued thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I'll confess that I've been looking at the higher-priced US-made guitars, thinking to myself...what if? Why not?

Ultimately, though, I think I need to "earn" a guitar like that. What I mean by that is, I need to devote enough time and energy to getting back into playing regularly. I need to reach the point so that when someone asks me if I play guitar, my answer is, "Yes, I do" and not, "Well, I did 15-20 years ago." :)

And once that happens, who knows what will wind up on my wall!

it comes back really fast... the other day my fingers started a tune I haven't heard or played in 20 years all by themselves. My brain just went, wait I know this from somewhere...

I have a ZM. It is an awesome guitar! I've gigged with it, and it holds up against the core PRS guitars I also use.

I don't use as much as I could because I usually gig with a piezo-equipped electric, like my P245 or P24, so that I can emulate acoustic for part of a song before breaking out into an electric-based lead solo.

But if I'm in the mood for just an electric guitar to practice or jam around on, my ZM is very enjoyable to play.

it comes back really fast... the other day my fingers started a tune I haven't heard or played in 20 years all by themselves. My brain just went, wait I know this from somewhere...

The worse is when your fingers and brain are trying to move your fingers but they do not have recovered all their strength and flexibility yet ;)

P.S. I was joking, I'm no Machiavel and, unfortunately, do not work for the Medici ;)

Play as many different models a you possibly can. I would look for a used semi hollow S2 Singlecut. For some reason, I`m seeing the S2`s used for a very reasonable amount of money. if you just fall in love with a particular guitar, BUY IT! Each PRS is different from every other. That1s why so many of us have more than one.

I would greatly consider at LEAST an S2. I have Core and Artist package guitars, as well as a couple of S2s. I play my S2s ALL the time. They feel great, they sound great - and, IMHO, offer a lot more than the SE for just a few bucks more - especially used. Now, if you are in no rush I would hold out to get just go for it and get a Core. There are a lot of options. Take your time figuring out what you want. I wavered back and forth with PRS' for years until I realized I HATE PRS' 24 fret guitars - I didn't get that because prior to PRS I was playing Custom Shop Jacksons with 24 frets. Turned out that the PRS "recipe" for me was 22 frets with vintage voiced pickups. All my earlier PRS experiences were 24 frets and HFS/VB pickups.

Beware though, the PRS bug is BAD.....I went from zero to 11 in less than a year. Believe these guys when they say it is addictive!!

So I guess what I am saying is skip a couple steps and just go in as high as you can....

I came to PRS from Archtops and G guitars. The only one I don`t like is the one I haven`t played.

Clean playing on a '79 Twin...rekindled love of the guitar...can't make up mind...

S2 Vela. Comfort, versatility, attitude, killer build quality. SO playable. The pickups are unique and inspiring. Just my $.02.

The PRS bug will bite and you'll end up with 4, or so...so embrace it and pickup something that inspires you to play more.

If a Twin is your thing, you should check out the PRS Dallas series, especially a used Bugs Henderson. That, with a couple of choice pedals, will change your life!

So many enablers in this group! :)

And, truthfully, so many good points about going with a guitar that inspires you to play more, even if the $cost is higher.

I once felt I didn't "deserve" a Private Stock.

Then I realized it ain't about "deserve." ;)

A great instrument can inspire you to play more, and playing more improves the results.

This. I keep asking my wife, "what's need have to do with it?" :rolleyes:

Of those you listed, I'd buy the Zach. However, I'd buy a P245 (core) if I had to own just one.

giphy.gif

This. I keep asking my wife, "what's need have to do with it?" :rolleyes:

Of those you listed, I'd buy the Zach. However, I'd buy a P245 (core) if I had to own just one.
My P245 SH is quite the awesome guitar. But if I didn't use the piezo, the ZM, at less than one-fourth the cost, is a very affordable first step.

Then you can save up and buy a used P245 (SH or not) when you get the wherewithal. Or a core CU24. Or a core Santana.

Back