Welcome to another "What should my first PRS be?" thread

markwilk

First off, many thanks for the knowledge and opinions I've received by lurking here for the past few months!

My guitar-playing days were long ago--I have a couple guitars in my basement that have barely been touched in almost 20 years (Ovation Legend and a Peavey Predator/strat copy). I thought I was mostly done with the guitar until my 12yo son came home from music class at school a couple months ago and said he'd like to learn how to play. Taking him around to shops as we looked for his first made me a little...itchy ;-)

The truth is, I've had PRS in the back of my mind since the first time I saw Alex Lifeson with one in the early 90s. I know it sounds superficial, but the bird inlays grabbed hold of me, and I still smile when I see them. Now that I'm thinking about starting to play again, PRS seems like the right choice.

What will I be playing it through? As of right now, my only amp is a '79 Fender Twin Reverb. My intention is to find a decent (headphone-enabled) practice amp that could be coaxed into dealing with friendly jam sessions, if needed.

Budget? A brand new SE Custom would be at the top of my range, I think. I'm not opposed to buying used, though, and have been spending a lot of time on Craigslist. Spending a little less on a used guitar would give me a little more room when shopping for an amp.

Scale length? Number of frets? I have the feeling that these would only matter to me after I've played with the guitar for a while. My playing has been almost non-existent over the last 20 years, so there are no hard-fought opinions that I'm looking to reinforce or overcome.

How will it be used? I imagine much of my playing will be for my own ears and enjoyment, and will probably be playing clean tones most of the time. I see myself playing along with my son as he learns, and his musical interests are pretty wide-ranging. This could mean a little blues and classic rock as well. I've always loved the sound of jazz guitar players, especially the sounds that came out of a 175. So, I guess I'm looking for something fairly versatile. Oh, and having a trem is not a big deal to me.

If you're still reading...thanks!

So here's what I've had my eye on:
1. New SE Custom 24. Seems like it would be pretty versatile, and I've read some great things about the new 85/15s pickups.
2. New SE Custom 22 semi-hollow. Again with the pickups, and I feel like the semi-hollow might give me some tones I'd appreciate. I'd also like to add a push-pull tone pot to this.
3. Zach Myers. Adjustable bridge, separate controls, semi-hollow. I've heard good things about the neck on this one.
4. Used mid-2000s Soapbar II that caught my eye on CL. Would you classify these guitars as "versatile"? Would I be giving up much, versus the SE Custom 22/24. No bird inlays, though. Oh well. ;-)
5. Used, but newer, SE245 Soapbar (also on CL). Pros/cons over the older Soapbar II?
6. Other ideas?

Thanks again for any opinions on this.

Mark

I'd take the semi hollow CU22 but I just can't get over the f-hole. I wish I liked the look of them. CU24 is great and versatile but I prefer the 22 fret variety.

Also, I wouldn't rule out an SE Santana

Close your eyes and hit buy it now on any guitar... eventually you'll own all of 'em anyway.

This is my current strategy. Seems to be working well!

As for your quest, I vote Zach. Or PM me and I'll talk to you about my tricked out Bernie!

Wow, thanks for all of the replies! Plenty of love for the ZM, I see. My local shop has one on the wall right now. I may need to go spend some time with it.

As far as those who say McCarty, Private Stock, Any/all...So much wisdom in this group! :D

I can definitely see myself going down that road, eventually.

Thanks again,

Mark

Hey Mark go check out Daves Guitars in La Crosse Wisconsin look at the website they have a few used Zacks that are like new and they will ship for free with no tax included...if the one at your dealer is a 2017 it will have the sig on the headstock otherwise grab one from daves, I'm surprised no one mentioned it on this thread, I grabbed an S2 for dirt cheap and it was like new...

Seriously consider the McCarty. I have an Indian Rosewood neck on mine - bought it new in 2000. Still my #1. Changed almost nothing - straplocks. Find a good used one. You'll be glad you did.

Hey Mark go check out Daves Guitars in La Crosse Wisconsin look at the website they have a few used Zacks that are like new and they will ship for free with no tax included...if the one at your dealer is a 2017 it will have the sig on the headstock otherwise grab one from daves, I'm surprised no one mentioned it on this thread, I grabbed an S2 for dirt cheap and it was like new...

Thanks, Russ!

The one at my shop _is_ a 2017. I just have to decide if it's worth the extra $$

First off, many thanks for the knowledge and opinions I've received by lurking here for the past few months!

My guitar-playing days were long ago--I have a couple guitars in my basement that have barely been touched in almost 20 years (Ovation Legend and a Peavey Predator/strat copy). I thought I was mostly done with the guitar until my 12yo son came home from music class at school a couple months ago and said he'd like to learn how to play. Taking him around to shops as we looked for his first made me a little...itchy ;-)

The truth is, I've had PRS in the back of my mind since the first time I saw Alex Lifeson with one in the early 90s. I know it sounds superficial, but the bird inlays grabbed hold of me, and I still smile when I see them. Now that I'm thinking about starting to play again, PRS seems like the right choice.

What will I be playing it through? As of right now, my only amp is a '79 Fender Twin Reverb. My intention is to find a decent (headphone-enabled) practice amp that could be coaxed into dealing with friendly jam sessions, if needed.

Budget? A brand new SE Custom would be at the top of my range, I think. I'm not opposed to buying used, though, and have been spending a lot of time on Craigslist. Spending a little less on a used guitar would give me a little more room when shopping for an amp.

Scale length? Number of frets? I have the feeling that these would only matter to me after I've played with the guitar for a while. My playing has been almost non-existent over the last 20 years, so there are no hard-fought opinions that I'm looking to reinforce or overcome.

How will it be used? I imagine much of my playing will be for my own ears and enjoyment, and will probably be playing clean tones most of the time. I see myself playing along with my son as he learns, and his musical interests are pretty wide-ranging. This could mean a little blues and classic rock as well. I've always loved the sound of jazz guitar players, especially the sounds that came out of a 175. So, I guess I'm looking for something fairly versatile. Oh, and having a trem is not a big deal to me.

If you're still reading...thanks!

So here's what I've had my eye on:
1. New SE Custom 24. Seems like it would be pretty versatile, and I've read some great things about the new 85/15s pickups.
2. New SE Custom 22 semi-hollow. Again with the pickups, and I feel like the semi-hollow might give me some tones I'd appreciate. I'd also like to add a push-pull tone pot to this.
3. Zach Myers. Adjustable bridge, separate controls, semi-hollow. I've heard good things about the neck on this one.
4. Used mid-2000s Soapbar II that caught my eye on CL. Would you classify these guitars as "versatile"? Would I be giving up much, versus the SE Custom 22/24. No bird inlays, though. Oh well. ;-)
5. Used, but newer, SE245 Soapbar (also on CL). Pros/cons over the older Soapbar II?
6. Other ideas?

Thanks again for any opinions on this.

Mark

This could have been me writing this post 6 months ago!
except my son is 11 and my guitars are on a different continent. and we don't have a basement here. anyways...

- I started with a CU22 SE. That made the itch even worse.
- 3 months later and a core Santana showed up.
- Another month and resistance was futile against the CE24 Satin. now with MannMade trem.
- Another month, and the SE has all-American parts (minus tuners and jackplate).
- I am drooling over an Orange Tiger core 24 now, but to avoid marital backlash, will need to wait for christmas and/or birthday.

The rabbit hole is strong with this one.

Advice, hmmm, go at least S2. you can upgrade pickups and bridge as you go. CE would be a great step towards more body carve. There are limited run CE24 Standards out there still. If you ask nicely you might even get a deal. IMO those are the best bang-for-buck as far getting the most PRS for the least amount of $ (unless you insist on fancy maple tops, then just forget everything I said and get a 10-top core). but if you can live without flame top, the CE 24 Standard has tons of PRS features and sound for a third of a core.

Seems you're also into single-cuts, so that just adds decision complexity that I can't help with. Luckily I have an LP for that itch.

and yes, birds, definitely birds...

Your story is close to mine except a never totally quit guitar playing and it did not last 20 years but 2 ;)
I was asking myself all these quiestion but also fell in love with the 509. So, I pushed my brother in law to buy his sisters parts in their mothers house and the mother to distribute it in advance to her daughters (including my wife) in exchange for the possibility to stay in her sons now house.
With a little part of the money, my wife offered me Violette, my first PRS (509 charcoal purpleburst).
The complete scheme took me a few month but the outcome is outstanding.

Hope it helps.

Your story is close to mine except a never totally quit guitar playing and it did not last 20 years but 2 ;)
I was asking myself all these quiestion but also fell in love with the 509. So, I pushed my brother in law to buy his sisters parts in their mothers house and the mother to distribute it in advance to her daughters (including my wife) in exchange for the possibility to stay in her sons now house.
With a little part of the money, my wife offered me Violette, my first PRS (509 charcoal purpleburst).
The complete scheme took me a few month but the outcome is outstanding.

Hope it helps.

oh boy

Nothing wrong with staying on the more affordable SE or S2 side. I love my SE CU24

Continued thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I'll confess that I've been looking at the higher-priced US-made guitars, thinking to myself...what if? Why not?

Ultimately, though, I think I need to "earn" a guitar like that. What I mean by that is, I need to devote enough time and energy to getting back into playing regularly. I need to reach the point so that when someone asks me if I play guitar, my answer is, "Yes, I do" and not, "Well, I did 15-20 years ago." :)

And once that happens, who knows what will wind up on my wall!

I started with an S2 custom 22. Can get those brand new for a little more than an se cu24. I did pick up a 2017 se cu24 and absolutely love it. Got it for a steal. Glad I did.

Back