Two Pattern Necks, Two Very Different Necks

uburoibob

I have a new 2013 Hollowbody II that I love. The neck is a Pattern Neck, as stated on the tag.
I just got a used 2013 408MT. The neck is a Pattern Neck, as stated on the tag. However, it feels quite a bit thinner.

I am not 100% sure how to quote the Micrometer as a decimal, but am attaching photos to show the difference at the first fret as well as the hang tags.

Is there a variance for the spec to a Pattern Neck? Do they vary this much typically? Or might there be an error on the spec from PRS for one of these guitars?

I don't think there's anything to be done about it - really just want to know.

Thanks,
Bob

Here's the 408:

408_FirstFretMeasurement.jpg

Here's the HB-II:

HBII_FirstFretMeasurement.jpg

And here are the hang tags (yes, the serials match the guitars):

HangTags.JPG

The 408 could have pattern or pattern thin. I don't know for sure but I'm wondering if the hang tag is wrong...

Bob, is that a metric or English micrometer?

Sorry for the grainy pic, but I found this as some instructions on how to get the exact measurements.

read_micro.gif

That's what I suspected, Shawn. These ARE available with a regular Pattern neck, though, aren't they?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

sorry about that...I was told it was a Pattern and the tag "confirmed" that.

It felt a little different to me, but as you know I haven't been playing ANY of my guitars lately due to the flood.

No, bob thought he had a pattern neck, the hang tag said it was pattern, his retailer said it was pattern, but it's actually a pattern thin . The tag is incorrectly labelled.

The person I bought it from and I thought we were getting a Pattern Neck, due to the hang tag, but it's a Pattern Thin neck.

The MODCAT seems to verify that it's a pattern thin with the first T in the second set of letters/numbers.

Here's the MODCAT: 48M2F_HTNST_LL_NB_B4

I am giving playing on a Pattern Thin neck my best shot. It's not bad, by any stretch of the imagination. Just different right now from the PRSi I am used to.

Heck, I've got a couple of Parker Flys from the Ken days. Those are mighty thin! This oughta be fine.

I'll put a little sticky with the hang tag that corrects it in case I sell it or arrange for a trade with someone who's got a Pattern but would prefer a Pattern Thin.

Bob

Last edited:
Ouch. Good luck adjusting. I know I would have a pretty rough time. I like Wide/Fat.

Back