Too good not to share!!!

I always wanted to be someone's Jerry Cantrell to their Layne Staley and have really amazing vocal harmonies. However, singers are terrible band mates - every. single. time. So, I just do lead vocals. I recommend you do the same!
Yup, although I do the bulk of lead vocals, I enjoy sharing with the lead and bass players. And we all enjoy backing each other up.
Seems if you have more than one job you tend to be a little bit more humble. Perhaps I'm wrong, just an observation.

I have experienced some or most of this over 45 years. However...

My current band has been going for some 15 years and we are all pretty easy going and like-minded. Whats more, there are 7 of us. Disagreements? Only about what material to do or what venues to avoid. Our singer is a bit of a tart, and that's according to his wife. But we dont mind that because he sings and talks to the audience. its just part of the package.

No personal issues. If anybody did show ego, he'd be laughed down. It never happens. It would be perfect if only the drummer could keep a steady tempo. Yes I'm lucky, and I know it.

Everyone in our band sings some songs. No one person can hold the others hostage just for vocals alone!

And we all get along very well!

Everyone harmonizes well, too. It's the best and most fun version of Big Phat Mojo I've been a part
of since founding it in 2002. Even the other guitarist's girlfriend that sings with us sometimes is cool to deal with.

It's been a refreshing ride with this bunch!

Last edited:
I have experienced some or most of this over 45 years. However...

My current band has been going for some 15 years and we are all pretty easy going and like-minded. Whats more, there are 7 of us. Disagreements? Only about what material to do or what venues to avoid. Our singer is a bit of a tart, and that's according to his wife. But we dont mind that because he sings and talks to the audience. its just part of the package.

No personal issues. If anybody did show ego, he'd be laughed down. It never happens. It would be perfect if only the drummer could keep a steady tempo. Yes I'm lucky, and I know it.

15 years is very impressive. Two bands ago was one I started from scratch. We went through 3 bass players 4 drummers 3 sound guys.. the singer and I were the only members that stayed.

We were a band for 13 years when I pulled the plug. I couldn't get anybody excited or motivated after so many years.

That band had zero egos and it was nice.

My band has essentially zero ego issues. I suppose we have defacto leader, but she is cool about other people's ideas, and she is the pseudo-leader because she is by far the most experienced in band activities and playing out live. Almost everyone in the band is a vocalist and songwriter (percussion guy just plays percussion, doesn't actively write), so we bring our own material and we have (usually spontaneous) group songwriting sessions.

But we are all a bit long in the tooth, and we're not doing it for the money, or the glory - mostly we want to enjoy our own music and hope the audience likes it too.

And we are varied in our material: We normally do what we call Celtic Fusion (which in and of itself is wide ranging), but I just finalized the order for our next CD, which is a Christmas CD - a mix of classic carols and songs (all pubic domain!) and a few originals, done in a variety of styles (e.g. Adeste Fidelis starts out in Latin, a capella, and finishes a la Trans-Siberian Orchestra with distorted guitars). We had fun doing the project, we know it isn't going to sell to very many folks, it is mostly a Christmas gift to friends and fans.

Definitely a low-key bunch of folks in my band.

My band has essentially zero ego issues. I suppose we have defacto leader, but she is cool about other people's ideas, and she is the pseudo-leader because she is by far the most experienced in band activities and playing out live. Almost everyone in the band is a vocalist and songwriter (percussion guy just plays percussion, doesn't actively write), so we bring our own material and we have (usually spontaneous) group songwriting sessions.

But we are all a bit long in the tooth, and we're not doing it for the money, or the glory - mostly we want to enjoy our own music and hope the audience likes it too.

And we are varied in our material: We normally do what we call Celtic Fusion (which in and of itself is wide ranging), but I just finalized the order for our next CD, which is a Christmas CD - a mix of classic carols and songs (all pubic domain!) and a few originals, done in a variety of styles (e.g. Adeste Fidelis starts out in Latin, a capella, and finishes a la Trans-Siberian Orchestra with distorted guitars). We had fun doing the project, we know it isn't going to sell to very many folks, it is mostly a Christmas gift to friends and fans.

Definitely a low-key bunch of folks in my band.
Make sure you let us know when your new CD is available. I'll buy a copy.

Back