Too good not to share!!!

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I posted last week that I was asked to fill in for one gig in my buddy's band. Their guitar player broke his hand. No prob, I can handle that.

Well..........I kind of know the singer in this band, kind of a diva but I haven't been around him for years.

The guys in the band had a meeting. The singer tells my friend the bass player "you are too shitty of a bass player to know if a fill in guitarist is good enough to fill in with our band. I don't even know this guy's credentials and I've got several buddy's that can step in and blow everybody away but you never asked me. If we do the show then I quit!!!"

Holy cow!!! LOL

My friend isn't the best bass player the world has ever known but he didn't deserve that AND this band was to play in small town Iowa where 98% can't tell a great band from pony show!!

My buddy pointed to the door, meaning hit the road Ahole.

My buddy cancelled the show and pulled the plug on his band for now.

All I can do is laugh!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!! Bands suck. My drummer and I talk about that all the time....playing is fun, doing shows can be a blast, but the day-to-day dealing with egos, etc. is just a stinker.

Reading this stuff reminds me of some sports teams I've played on. Although that SHOULD be different, because it IS a competition.

I know two singers that are diva wankers, no make that 3.
One guy showed up to a gig at our studio and expected to use my mic. Really? Can't even bring your own mic and you want to spit in mine? You have one f&%$in' job!
Another guy came late and didn't care. Then when I tried to compliment him on a song that I sing as well he completely ignored me.
Another guy was singing a song that desperately needed harmonies but refused to let me do it. His excuse was that people can "fill in the blanks". Lol!

Whatever... you win the wanker/singer sweepstakes gush.:confused:

I know two singers that are diva wankers, no make that 3.
One guy showed up to a gig at our studio and expected to use my mic. Really? Can't even bring your own mic and you want to spit in mine? You have one f&%$in' job!
Another guy came late and didn't care. Then when I tried to compliment him on a song that I sing as well he completely ignored me.
Another guy was singing a song that desperately needed harmonies but refused to let me do it. His excuse was that people can "fill in the blanks". Lol!

Whatever... you win the wanker/singer sweepstakes gush.:confused:

The singer in my last band couldn't count and could not sing harmonies..

When we were getting old hat from not learning songs I said screw it and started bringig songs that a would sing. Our singer just sat down when I did that because he didn't know how to do harmonies.

His timing was terrible, I actually tried to help him understand how to count but he got pissed and insisted he was doing it correctly even though I had the live recordings to prove him wrong.

He owned a junk wireless mic and that was it. Complained the most about pay.....lol

Unfortunately, there are lots of people who love music so much they want to play or sing. But they just don’t “get it.” My wife is an example. Loves music. Loves to sing. Has NO ear for tone, pitch, etc. My daughter and I used to tease her about it but I had to tell my daughter that she just doesn’t hear what we do and we have to stop because we were actually hurting her feelings.

I’ve played with MANY guys who were the same way as guitar or bass players, drummers, etc. They’d swear they were playing it “just like the record” and they weren’t, and they couldn’t hear it.

I have never had a problem with that! Do your best and I’m OK with that. But, if you have that, plus an ego, then I have a problem. I’ve had people that told me they were really good singers and would blame their sound man for sounding bad... when the reason they did was ALL pitch related. Guys who tried to tell me to play it “this way” when they just couldn’t hear that their timing was wrong or what they were playing was not accurate.

The singer in my last band couldn't count and could not sing harmonies..

When we were getting old hat from not learning songs I said screw it and started bringig songs that a would sing. Our singer just sat down when I did that because he didn't know how to do harmonies.

His timing was terrible, I actually tried to help him understand how to count but he got pissed and insisted he was doing it correctly even though I had the live recordings to prove him wrong.

He owned a junk wireless mic and that was it. Complained the most about pay.....lol

It's funny until you have to experience it.

Unfortunately, there are lots of people who love music so much they want to play or sing. But they just don’t “get it.” My wife is an example. Loves music. Loves to sing. Has NO ear for tone, pitch, etc. My daughter and I used to tease her about it but I had to tell my daughter that she just doesn’t hear what we do and we have to stop because we were actually hurting her feelings.

I’ve played with MANY guys who were the same way as guitar or bass players, drummers, etc. They’d swear they were playing it “just like the record” and they weren’t, and they couldn’t hear it.

I have never had a problem with that! Do your best and I’m OK with that. But, if you have that, plus an ego, then I have a problem. I’ve had people that told me they were really good singers and would blame their sound man for sounding bad... when the reason they did was ALL pitch related. Guys who tried to tell me to play it “this way” when they just couldn’t hear that their timing was wrong or what they were playing was not accurate.
My pet $%^&ing peeve is timing issues.
As a guitarist I'm a drummer:p so it drives me absolutely batsh!t crazy when the drummer can't keep time. Especially breaks. Ugh!

Lol. Why I first joined my last band, my first frustration was we were playing everything too fast. I talked about it to everybody but oddly our drummer was convinced the tempos were correct or "close". He wasn't rude about it but was certain he was right.

That's when I decided to record a complete show and hand out copies to all.

My drummer actually called me once he heard the recordings. He was not aware that we were playing too fast. Crazy!!!!!

Anyway, that cured our tempo problem for good. As for the other problems..........not so much.

I had a similar experience last year. I was trying to make some of the band I was playing in realise that the correct tempo was what gave certain songs their groove.

My wife told me I was being bossy, that bass player who was of a similar mind to me was of the attitude that you play it right or not at all. He’s a session player who is a busy musician.

If you can find a like-minded group of musicians who all want the same thing you’re onto a winning formula.

Gush, sorry to hear about the diva singer, thems the breaks unfortunately!

Now when I perceive tempo problems I go get my phone and run LiveBPM app.
Big fat indicator that you are moving from 120 or whatever to 130. I stand in front of the drummer so it's a perfect location

I always wanted to be someone's Jerry Cantrell to their Layne Staley and have really amazing vocal harmonies. However, singers are terrible band mates - every. single. time. So, I just do lead vocals. I recommend you do the same!

Back