The unofficial Silver Sky thread

I have never had a problem with the strat placement of knobs. I just play the guitar and adjust accordingly. I just hope it really quacks. I’ve put off buying a Suhr classic pro sss for 4 months. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed. I sound like a fanboy, sure, but Paul’s guitars have never let me down. I have 2 594s, a soap bar and a normal humbucker. Both singlecut. To me the fun is in the different control placement. I realize some folks aren’t that way. I just hope it doesn’t disappoint. I’m telling you guys, though, something will be special about the pickups/electronics.

sweet baby jesus

images

I saw that... Can anyone see whats different between these two prototypes?

I have never had a problem with the strat placement of knobs. I just play the guitar and adjust accordingly. I just hope it really quacks. I’ve put off buying a Suhr classic pro sss for 4 months. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed. I sound like a fanboy, sure, but Paul’s guitars have never let me down. I have 2 594s, a soap bar and a normal humbucker. Both singlecut. To me the fun is in the different control placement. I realize some folks aren’t that way. I just hope it doesn’t disappoint. I’m telling you guys, though, something will be special about the pickups/electronics.

Yup, I agree... If the guitar looks this 'tame' and similar to others on the outside, theres gotta be something unique about the electronics. Theres just gotta be.

The insides might actually be a wonderland.

The Strat is the greatest most formidable poker face ever. It looks so simple and spartan, but therein lies the secret of its tone recipe.

Mounting pickups on a thin pickguard over a huge cavity creates a ‘pseudo hollowbody’. A light thin body accentuates vibration and the hollowbody effect. A maple neck always has that recognisable ‘flat’ tone. A Trem for an airy springy ingredient. Lastly, singlecoil pickups for their unique interpretation on string vibration.

So unassuming but so deadly. It’s like the silent farts.

The Strat is the greatest most formidable poker face ever. It looks so simple and spartan, but therein lies the secret of its tone recipe.

Mounting pickups on a thin pickguard over a huge cavity creates a ‘pseudo hollowbody’. A light thin body accentuates vibration and the hollowbody effect. A maple neck always has that recognisable ‘flat’ tone. A Trem for an airy springy ingredient. Lastly, singlecoil pickups for their unique interpretation on string vibration.

So unassuming but so deadly. It’s like the silent farts.
I have such a love/hate relationship with strats. I've owned at least 10 over the past 30 years...I only ever really bounded with one of them (a sweet MIJ 62RI that had a refret with jumbos and Duncan Antiquities)...and stupid me, I had to try a Fender Cabronita, so I sold that one.
I spend more time adjusting the pups, cranking down the tremolo, then setting it to float, finding the sound is flat and one dimensional, then changing pup and starting all over.
Man I LOVE to hear my favorites play theirs - Clapton, Schofield, Gill, Stevie Ray, Knopfler and Mayer. I get inspired looking for the perfect 2 and 4 position quack, only to be disappointed.
I've tried .010s, .011s, even .012s tuned to Eb....and I'm left wanting.

You know... If all those posters on that ‘other’ forum put as much energy and time into playing guitar rather than moaning perhaps they could have shared a stage with the Meyers and Bonamassa’s of this world.

Anyhow...

I think I posted in another thread about this a while back. A PRS Mayer Strat in Candy Apple Red with a Maple board and i’m In...

Well my 40th passed a few weeks ago and It didn’t look like anything was happening with this anytime soon so I bit the bulletin and went to the guitar shop. Walked out with a Candy Apple Red American Professional Strat and a nice Washburn acoustic.

Both great guitars and there’s nothing I can fault about them really. Biggest revelation is that my Strat has a rosewood board and i’m really loving the look!

Then I see a number of posts pop up about the Mayer Strat and lo and behold there’s a bloody Mayer Strat in Candy Apple Red with a rosewood board!

And now i’m kicking myself for not holding out.

Still... If it hits the streets above 2k UK then it was always a non starter for me.

Still, I have a guitar I like alongside my Bernie and others and that’s what it’s all about... Isn’t it?!?

But this one might be strattier... I want this one. It might have strat pickups. It looks cool. I like it. I want it.

:oops:

And John Mayer likes it... And he USED TO BE so sexy.

And I love the front jack. I wanna jack in on my couch.

And these guitars are gonna be in all my favorite colors.

It was meant to be.
You had me right with you, up til the JM part. LOL.

Casi1 will pass on this (and just pick up an EJ strat) if no maple board option.

:(
Nothing wrong with an EJ Strat. Best value Strat out there in my opinion. I bought mine second hand in perfect condition for the price of an SE prs. All the best bits of a vintage Strat tweaked to bring it up to date. Of course you could always get both! More guitars is never the wrong answer whoever makes them

I have such a love/hate relationship with strats. I've owned at least 10 over the past 30 years...I only ever really bounded with one of them (a sweet MIJ 62RI that had a refret with jumbos and Duncan Antiquities)...and stupid me, I had to try a Fender Cabronita, so I sold that one.
I spend more time adjusting the pups, cranking down the tremolo, then setting it to float, finding the sound is flat and one dimensional, then changing pup and starting all over.
Man I LOVE to hear my favorites play theirs - Clapton, Schofield, Gill, Stevie Ray, Knopfler and Mayer. I get inspired looking for the perfect 2 and 4 position quack, only to be disappointed.

Ha ha, that does seem to be the way of it for Strats. I've been there. Years ago I bought a secondhand Mexican classic 60s Strat and proceeded to change everything. Bridge, neck, electronics etc. I tried everything, push pulls, parallel/series wiring and I was forever adjusting things. Could never find the sweet spot. Could set it up for clean, set it up for overdrive, never both at the same time. Still, it was a great learning experience. I do highly recommend getting a cheap one to tinker with! My EJ Strat has been a lot more forgiving, don't have to fiddle with that so it is possible to have one that you don't have to constantly dial in

Nothing wrong with an EJ Strat. Best value Strat out there in my opinion. I bought mine second hand in perfect condition for the price of an SE prs. All the best bits of a vintage Strat tweaked to bring it up to date. Of course you could always get both! More guitars is never the wrong answer whoever makes them

Thats what I'm thinking too. The downside for me with getting an EJ f strat is that I'd have to get significant mods done on the shape. I really dont want to go through all that if I dont have to... I'd rather have a JMstrat with a maple board.

So what's the aversion to the rosewood board? If it's a feel or looks thing, I get it. If it's a tone thing, I suggest being open to giving it a chance if maple isn't an option.

For me its mostly a feel thing but there also is a tone component. I sometimes feel like the rosewood boards on my maple neck guitars 'slow the sound down' in a way that I dont always appreciate.

I like rosewood but I guess I just like maple more. As for giving it a chance, I will play it either way (in the store) to see how it sounds but I'm not trying to spend up to 3k on something that is not quite what I want.

I just read this PRS interview someone else referenced:

https://drivenforward.com/paul-reed-smith-interview/

"I’ve just agreed to a model that is going to drop everybody’s jaw. But he (Jack Higganbotham) thought he could do a good job and to me having that model only be available at $xxxx was not the right thing to do. If somebody could buy one of those for xxx bucks, that would be very cool."

Sounds to me like there will be two guitars, a Core and an SE. Maybe the difference between the two prototypes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a ‘96 MIJ Strat 62RI, so I totally get where you’re coming from. I considered selling it a few years ago and when I hear your regret, I’m glad I didn’t. The crazy thing is they’re so well made, but you can pick them up in the UK fairly cheaply.

I Iove the diversity of a Strat, compared to a guitar loaded with HB’s, but they both have their place, depending on the song.

@Casi1 im guessing you’re couch is a “wonderland”:eek:

@DreamTheaterRules thank god I haven’t lost you to JM:D

Last edited:
I have a ‘96 MIJ Strat 62RI, so I totally get where you’re coming from. I considered selling it a few years ago and when I hear your regret, I’m glad I didn’t. The crazy thing is they’re so well made, but you can pick them up in the UK fairly cheaply.

I too have a '94 MIJ 62RI, and I won't part with that guitar for anything (bought it new in 1994). It just feels so "right" in my hands, and while I gravitate more to humbucker tones (i.e. PRS!) the MIJ is just wonderful to play. Neck like a baseball bat, that fits so well in my hands. The vintage trem stays in tune so well (I hate to say, infinitely better than my C22 SE's trem, but I digress) and it really doesn't feel like a 25.5" scale length - very "playable" and don't feel like I have to fight it, like I do with other Strats. The way I describe playing a PRS - it wants to be played; a Strat wants to fight you all the way to the end of the song. :eek:

Anyway, back to the JM prototype,... I have nothing else to add. :rolleyes:

Back