Has anyone tried the new SE Silver Sky tremolo block from John Mann?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Supposed to give more mids and a beefier sound.

I tested the steel block on my SE Silver Sky and a magnet stuck to it.

So it's already steel.

Might be cast steel vs. "milled" steel on the new MannMade SE blocks?

I’d be curious to know if strings still get caught in the slots like the stock SE bridge. Such an annoying thing to happen on such an expensive guitar.

I’d be curious to know if strings still get caught in the slots like the stock SE bridge. Such an annoying thing to happen on such an expensive guitar.
Well, it's an inexpensive guitar...anything under $800 is an inexpensive guitar . But I'm with you on the annoyance.

The old strings getting caught in the block when I'm changing strings on my SE Silver Sky is royal pain in the butt.

I have two with the same issue and 2 out 2 means it might be a common problem PRS should address.

I have to force something down the hole to push the ball out.

I'm going to have a credit with MannMade because I have some sets of used non-locking tuners I can return.

Think I'll order a new block with the funds...

Last edited:
They do not. I’ve used his replacement blocks on SE guitars. And yes the sustains are increased.

Well, it's an inexpensive guitar...anything under $800 is an inexpensive guitar .

It's really not our place to determine others budgets and finances. I personally wouldn't consider anything $1000 inexpensive. On the subject of guitars, I'd consider it more midrange in the strat class, but that's only an opinion. There's plenty for less. And of course for more and MUCH more!

Last edited:
It's really not our place to determine others budgets and finances. I personally wouldn't consider anything $1000 inexpensive. On the subject of guitars, I'd consider it more midrange in the strat class, but that's only an opinion. There's plenty for less. And of course for more.
Always/usually sensible to stay within budget.

But you're not going find a new, made in the USA, Gibson, PRS, Fender or Martin for $800.

Only imports.

But on the good side, right now SE Silver Skys can be found new for $679!

That is a ridiculously good deal...especially if you can try out a few, compare, and buy the "best" one.

Sensible to stay within budget.

But you're not going find a new, made in the USA, Gibson, PRS, Fender or Martin for $800.

Only imports.

But on the good side, right now SE Silver Skys can be found new for $679!

That is a ridiculously good deal...especially if you can try out a few, compare, and buy the "best" one.

But it's not a US guitar. There's plenty of imports for less. The seSS sits at the top of asia import range of price tags.

The sale helps for sure! You're absolutely right on trying them out. I played 4 the other day and was surprised, being PRS, how different the 4 were. One was absolutely a keeper. Reminded me of the early releases. A second was a contender. A third, maybe but missed the mark of the others. And the fourth I would have returned, and was shocked it passed QC at either factory.

I didn't experience any of those problems with either of my 2023 SE Silver Skys nor with any that Starr's Guitars had on hand to try.

For $679 the SE Silver Sky is the best guitar out there for the money.

Can you think of a better choice for someone who wants the Strat tone for under $700?

But if possible, always try a few and pick the one that feels like the one for you.

Glad you got a good one! I play a ton of guitars hanging around in shops, more than I should. The SS in particular. I'm such a PRS guy, and used to be a big strat man that my brain keeps saying, get a SS!!! Having several strats I love, it's been difficult to justify. I'm getting closer and the sale is tempting to just pick up a seSS. I'd be able to justify that cost and keep my other strats.

That's the thing, $679 is a sale, thanks PRS! It's $849. Better is subjective talking tone, and more so strat tone, but there are plenty of strat tone guitars out there at $849 and under. Pick the one you bond with and works for you.. then play hell out if it!

Glad you got a good one! I play a ton of guitars hanging around in shops, more than I should. The SS in particular. I'm such a PRS guy, and used to be a big strat man that my brain keeps saying, get a SS!!! Having several strats I love, it's been difficult to justify. I'm getting closer and the sale is tempting to just pick up a seSS. I'd be able to justify that cost and keep my other strats.

That's the thing, $679 is a sale, thanks PRS! It's $849. Better is subjective talking tone, and more so strat tone, but there are plenty of strat tone guitars out there at $849 and under. Pick the one you bond with and works for you.. then play hell out if it!
Is there one you like as much as a good SE Silver Sky?

One for the same price with pickups with real alnico 5 polepieces and not a ceramic magnet glued under the pickup coil?

The SE SS also has a separate steel vibrato block, not one cast from pot metal or zinc.

It may be cast, rather than milled, but it's at least steel and a magnet will stick to it.

What I'd love to see now is a swamp ash SE Silver Sky with a maple fingerboard...maybe in some of those cool new finishes we see on the SE Swamp Ash Specials.

What I'd love to see now is a swamp ash SE Silver Sky with a maple fingerboard...maybe in some of those cool new finishes we see on the SE Swamp Ash Specials.

The se swamp ash special was a great guitar. Awesome fretwork. Really was above and beyond. I was surprised how good and that was after playing a Myles Kennedy.

Back