Silver sky SE trem block upgrade?

IAH85

Hi,

I'm interested in upgrading to a brass block for my silver sky SE. I've done this with all my strats and find it's a great upgrade. Has anyone tried this with a silver sky SE? I'm curious what the block size is? I'm looking at FU-TONE for the block but they don't note anything specific for the silver sky.

Thanks!

From what I can tell it’s 54 mm string spacing I think. Likely vintage spec fender block? Again not confident. Not even sure if John has looked into it yet but please let us know if he responds

Last edited:
Thinking out loud here. Feel free to input any:

I’ve been doing measurements. The SS is nearly 54.4 mm (2 9/64”) wide. Vintage fender is 56 mm wide (2 7/32”). Modern fender is 52 mm wide (2 1/16”). Most guitars in the PRS line are 52 mm wide.

I’m wondering if I can install a vintage/narrow callaham steel block that I have spare. I love callaham blocks and put them on all my strats. Would essentially create modern feel to the SS spacing on my SE version. I’m just not sure if the change in 2 mm will require a saddle change or not. I know for fenders it has to because 4 mm is quite a change. Now 2 mm? Hmmm.

I do appreciate that PRS did not use vintage specs spacing on the SS SE. Vintage spacing requires absolute precision fret leveling on small radius guitars. That’s why so many Mexican strats with vintage specs are trash. And as much as Cortek nails the SE line they are not the same as Core lines USA. The only downside of 54 mm is that it’s hard to get substitute parts…which I’m sure would make Paul happy since he never like the idea of people altering his vision.

This company claims 54 mm is compatible with modern specs when ordering.
Wudtone tremolo

Last edited:
Update. No current steel block will work. The reason being:
Xpbd6Te.jpg

They notched the block where the arm inserts. Making it virtually impossible to find a new block unless you replace the plate as well.

Last edited:
That really sucks. I love the neck but part of my love for "strats" is how modular they are. You can really make them your own. PRS dropped the ball here.

Agreed. If they are to make proprietary things then they could give us means to upgrade or swap parts. Much like the core SS pickup covers. Those cannot be swapped by anything on the market. PRS is missing out by not offering official pickguards, bobbins, etc. Hopefully in time they realize it and release more

Thinking out loud here. Feel free to input any:

I’ve been doing measurements. The SS is nearly 54.4 mm (2 9/64”) wide. Vintage fender is 56 mm wide (2 7/32”). Modern fender is 52 mm wide (2 1/16”). Most guitars in the PRS line are 52 mm wide.

I’m wondering if I can install a vintage/narrow callaham steel block that I have spare. I love callaham blocks and put them on all my strats. Would essentially create modern feel to the SS spacing on my SE version. I’m just not sure if the change in 2 mm will require a saddle change or not. I know for fenders it has to because 4 mm is quite a change. Now 2 mm? Hmmm.

I do appreciate that PRS did not use vintage specs spacing on the SS SE. Vintage spacing requires absolute precision fret leveling on small radius guitars. That’s why so many Mexican strats with vintage specs are trash. And as much as Cortek nails the SE line they are not the same as Core lines USA. The only downside of 54 mm is that it’s hard to get substitute parts…which I’m sure would make Paul happy since he never like the idea of people altering his vision.

This company claims 54 mm is compatible with modern specs when ordering.
Wudtone tremolo
Callaham blocks will not work with PRS
I have reached out to John Mann. No response.
No email from you... please resend to [email protected]

Back