The unofficial Silver Sky thread

PeterK

Go check out Johnny Boy's Instagram story. It has a photo of his supposed new signature model. I can't seem to find a way to post a screenshot of it.....

Last edited:
27751737_10216053067585858_444164696153031862_n.jpg

Candy apple red...

rosewood board...

birds...

I'm all in...

sigh

Last edited:
I am really liking this. Love the body contour changes from the silver one.Or should I say "silver sky" as the PRS trademark may go. Hope they offer this with a maple board. Where is John Mayer's granddaddy?

Oooooo! Me too on the contour AND the Maple board...I seriously need one in black...yes, I am a Gilmour fanboy...and I'm not ashamed of it! If not I plan on searching the world for the DC3 in that combo...im pretty sure Sergio has one of those, but I think he's morally opposed to the selling of guitars...

As for your last question...I ate himo_O:D

I soooo, dig the red with the rosewood too...I may need two of them...I'll wait... not so patiently...but I'll wait...

Hmmm to me , from this pic, the details just look off. Jack plate , Trem even the pick guard just don't look up to PRS standards
could be the picture.
I know a bunch of you are dying for this guitar, similar idea to 594 KILLER guitars for folks that want an F or G guitar with PRS quality !!!!
Hope it comes out killer for everyone , its prob not for me tho

I’m sure the guitar itself will be fantastic.

For PRS as a brand, I do wonder if this represents a landmine. PRS represents something unique that stands apart from the big 2. That was a main appeal, at least to me. Why compete with a Cheetah on a sprint? Compete with it in a contest of strength or endurance.

Even the 594 and the SC594 are unique to PRS - scale length is just a small factor next to overall body shape/bridge design etc, and the singlecut shape is common and not a patent (every classical or acoustic guitar is already half a singlecut).

This here though. I know the McCarthy and Customs etc will still always be on sale, but what this does to brand image is another thing. Yes it’s pros and cons, and I guess it’s going to bring in a lot of Mayer fans, but remember these fans are expecting you be a faster cheetah as part of the deal. They do not appreciate much about the strength of a bear or the endurance of a wild dog.

Well I hope it all turns out well and everyone has a blast.

Last edited:
I’m sure the guitar itself will be fantastic.

For PRS as a brand, I do wonder if this represents a landmine. PRS represents something unique that stands apart from the big 2. That was a main appeal, at least to me. Why compete with a Cheetah on a sprint? Compete with it in a contest of strength or endurance.

Even the 594 and the SC594 are unique to PRS - scale length is just a small factor next to overall body shape/bridge design etc, and the singlecut shape is common and not a patent (every classical or acoustic guitar is already half a singlecut).

This here though. I know the McCarthy and Customs etc will still always be on sale, but what this does to brand image is another thing. Yes it’s pros and cons, and I guess it’s going to bring in a lot of Mayer fans, but remember these fans are expecting you be a faster cheetah as part of the deal. They do not appreciate much about the strength of a bear or the endurance of a wild dog.

Well I hope it all turns out well and everyone has a blast.

Well, it's not like it's the first guitar PRS has made with this exact body shape, nor with three single coils.

The main difference is the pick guard, the saddles and the tone/volume knobs. Oh, and the jack plate of course.

I don't see how the singlecuts are more unique to PRS in relation to an LP, with the shape, two-piece bridge, scale and control layout etc etc.
As I see it, it's simply PRS's take on two hugely popular types of guitars, neither of which are exclusive to the two main brands that are known for such types of guitars.

I don't see how the singlecuts are more unique to PRS in relation to an LP
Oh that part of my post is quite straightforward to clarify. To my eyes, a PRS singlecut shape is a PRS doublecut with a variation on the left horn, plus a very small insignificant amount of practical adjustment. Actually of course it is - why would they want to reinvent a winning wheel?

The signature violin carve is present, slightly less deep not due to intent but sheer physical constraint. The contours and angles are largely the same as the DC, with perhaps a slight variation to accommodate that protruding bout of wood. Very different to my eyes from an LP. As different as a PRS DC from
an LP, except for that extra bout of wood which itself is also contoured differently.

PRS is of course instantly recognised by the signature Violin carve and contour shape made famous by their DC’s. Is it exclusive to PRS? Maybe yes and maybe not in a court of law, but that doesn’t matter.

Where it really counts is in the minds of people. First one to get there in the public consciousness wins the title of ‘uniqueness’.

Speaking of Court of Law, I also do remember a few judging that a PRS SC cannot be confused with an LP.

we all know with all we know about PRS head, and artist's ears, that its going to be better then the F at whatever price point it pitches against

Doesn't seem to have any witchery switchery from what i can make out, looks great to me

It's cool, but does anybody else feel a little dirty about it? At least with past S style guitars that PRS has made (EG, NF3, DC3, etc), they've been enough of their own flavor. This looks like somebody took a F Strat, changed the lines on the body a tiny bit, and slapped some birds on it. Now, I'd be as excited as anyone for a guitar with Strat sound and PRS quality and playability, but something about this feels wrong.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm in. At least depending on price, availability, etc. I'm a bit new around here, so forgive me if someone else has thought this, but there is already his super eagle 2 and j-mod amp, maybe this can be an S2 series guitar and they can release a lunchbox version of his amp for those of us that don't have $$,$$$ lying around. I was already contemplating the new studio, but think I would prefer this.

For me personally a JM Sigi is foremost GAS relevant, if it will be available in natural or sunburst. I don´t like the unicolour lacquer.

It's cool, but does anybody else feel a little dirty about it? At least with past S style guitars that PRS has made (EG, NF3, DC3, etc), they've been enough of their own flavor. This looks like somebody took a F Strat, changed the lines on the body a tiny bit, and slapped some birds on it. Now, I'd be as excited for a guitar with Strat sound and PRS quality and playability, but something about this feels wrong.
Yup I feel the same way but that’s just me. All the best to this guitar (if it’s launched) and folks who like it or buy it.

Last edited:
Back