The ultimate, quintessential and timeless PRS guitar?

The Ultimate, Quintessential PRS Guitar

• Custom 22 / 24

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • McCarty / 594

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • DGT

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • 513 / 509

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Hollowbody I / II / Piezo

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Special 22 Semi-hollow

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Modern Eagle V

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Paul's Guitar

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

SonicBlue

Putting aside the museum pieces like the Dragons, Super Eagles and guitars made with the most exotic components in existence...

What is the ultimate, quintessential and timeless PRS guitar?

Less of a "if you could only have 1 guitar" thread and more about what is the pinnacle of PRS achievement in the core range or slightly above core level? The ultimate example of guitar evolution that retains attributes of the vintage voices we love while moving everything forward as only PRS has been able to achieve.

Comments on reasoning, features, years/generations preferred, even scale length appreciated.

Nice idea for post Should generate some heat
They are all great But I have a McCarty so I voted for the home team. But ..... where is the SANTANA !! ???? And no - it does not belong in the “other “ category

I considered the Santana but figured it would have to be the PRS double cut shape since that was such a strong element of PRS designs.
Also, PRS SC shapes are amazing and much better looking than Gibson's :)

I’d say it’s obviously Paul’s guitar. Hey, it’s Paul’s..

Regardless of personal preference, I believe that the quintessential PRS is the Custom 24. It is the guitar that built the whole company. Most models took the Cu24 design and modified it. Thicker backs, less frets, trem or stoptail and a variety of pickup configurations, but the core of the designs go back to that 85 Customs.

the custom is obviously the genesis of PRS, but there's something about the og Modern Eagle that just speaks to me.

Great thread. I voted Custom 22/24 because they were grouped together. If they were separated i would have chosen the 24 as it created what instantly became a timeless design and tone, while bringing 24-fret guitars into the hands of non-shredders, adding functionality / options for players who would never even have considered them while they were limited to the likes of the Jem for example.

It changed the high-end market completely. It also redefined what quality control should mean at that end of the world. And created a profitable platform for everything that came after.

I'd argue that it was the first time in 50+ years any high-end volume guitar manufacturer had achieved that.

You've asked three questions.

What is the ultimate, quintessential and timeless PRS guitar?

The Custom 24 with birds in Vintage Yellow

What is the pinnacle of PRS achievement in the core range or slightly above core level?

The guitar PRSh plays.

The ultimate example of guitar evolution that retains attributes of the vintage voices we love while moving everything forward as only PRS has been able to achieve.

Any stoptail variant of the McCarty with rosewood neck and 57/08's. Paul's 28, Violin McCarty, Brazilian Rosewood McCarty, ME1, ME2...

Last edited:
Pr9RcUn.jpg

kaRsIYD.jpg

ansopo6.jpg

QmuskUT.jpg

Back