On the PRS policy

I'd take the 58/15 "S" over the LT "S" version any day.

I agree though, PRS not ordering their authorized dealers to burn or destroy any unsold and frankly obsolete stock beyond the current model year is indeed unacceptable and indicative of their policy towards their customers.

Last edited:
If you don’t do your homework, you sometimes flunk the test. A person has to find out what they’re buying.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. Bought an SC594 that was specifically advertised by the dealer as having 58/15 LT+ pickups. It had 58/15 LT pickups. These kinds of things aren’t the end of the world for me, but I did ask the dealer about it when he checked in with me after the purchase.

I didn’t throw a fit or decide to deny myself nice things because of it. I simply asked if there was something we could do, and made it clear that I was fine with whatever the outcome was. My dealer hooked me up with the PRS regional rep, who—besides being a very cool guy to talk with—had a set of the 58/15 LT+ pickups sent to me.

Getting “Internet upset” rarely accomplishes much.

If you don’t do your homework, you sometimes flunk the test. A person has to find out what they’re buying.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. Bought an SC594 that was specifically advertised by the dealer as having 58/15 LT+ pickups. It had 58/15 LT pickups. These kinds of things aren’t the end of the world for me, but I did ask the dealer about it when he checked in with me after the purchase.

I didn’t throw a fit or decide to deny myself nice things because of it. I simply asked if there was something we could do, and made it clear that I was fine with whatever the outcome was. My dealer hooked me up with the PRS regional rep, who—besides being a very cool guy to talk with—had a set of the 58/15 LT+ pickups sent to me.

Well done, Mike!

Gospel

It's unfortunate when we buy a guitar for specific features and what arrives doesn't have them. Unfortunately guitars can stay in dealer inventory for months or even years. If there's a specific feature that just came out then it is best to inquire about each specific guitar and verify it does meet the new specs. I purchased a couple PRS' a few years ago during the transition to nitro over CAB finish, I passed on some cool guitars at great prices trying to find a PRS w/ CAB.

Yep get your dealer to sell you the guitar you expected to purchase , don't see how this is a PRS problem.
If you bought a 2022 car off the lot then you found out the 2023 had options you wanted pretty sure the car manufacture would say buy a 2023.
Pretty sure in some legal ease it says specs are subject to change without notice , PRS has always done rolling changes to product lines.
Your loss if you chose to not buy any more PRS guitars. IMHO ( PS I think you have the better pickups also :) Never been a fan of any of the LT pickups they are just to weak.
Yes, imho, you definitely have a better pickup set in your ‘22 model.. the LT versions are, as @Rider1260 said, just to weak for my taste and I’m a blues, Bluesrock, and Rock Fusion player………..and I like high gain sometimes for solos… I’ve stayed away from many PRS models because of their LT pickups……

I'd take the 58/15 "S" over the LT "S" version any day.

I agree though, PRS not ordering their authorized dealers to burn or destroy any unsold and frankly obsolete stock beyond the current model year is indeed unacceptable and indicative of their policy towards their customers.
Your idea is undoubtely great, the only doubtful respect consisting of the unpleasant smell emanated by the burning wood of the guitar bodies and necks. In order to avoid such a regrettable side effect, we could kindly ask for Gibson to reveal the secret method it uses for preventing a 2018 guitar be sold as the latest model...

When I buy something on a local market, I certainly do my homework.

When I decide to buy a PRS guitar, in my opinion I have already done my homework; if it not so, I feel free to decide if it's better to do the homework in the same way I do it buying something on a local market, or to turn my eyes toward a different brand, with no need to "do my homework" (i.e. advisable verification).

Getting "Internet upset" has never been my intention; maybe, beside "Look at my new beautiful guitar!" someone (that, like me, doesn't do the homework) can be interested in knowing what kind of homework he/she has to do buying a PRS.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t the manufacture date on the headstock?

Bob
Sure. But I bought the guitar on line, and on their site there wasn't any photo of the rear of the headstock . The guitar was depicted with its tag, but the low resolution of the pics didn't allow to read the date of assembly
Tech companies have ruined everything. People are used to phones becoming obsolete in a year, so they think the same is true for guitars now.
I'm not so smart, but I'm 64 and after an half century I finally managed to learn the difference between a phone and a guitar
Yes, imho, you definitely have a better pickup set in your ‘22 model.. the LT versions are, as @Rider1260 said, just to weak for my taste and I’m a blues, Bluesrock, and Rock Fusion player………..and I like high gain sometimes for solos… I’ve stayed away from many PRS models because of their LT pickups……
Thank you for your opinion. Actually I'm coming to the same conclusion too

I recently (one week ago) bought an S2 McCarthy 594 Thinline.

It should be my fourth PRS, after a CORE (CU24), an SE (Hollowbody II Piezo) and a CE (semi hollow).

It will surely be my last PRS purchase, forever.

I find it hard to understand which the policy of PRS is regarding the customer.

I bought my S2 brand new, from an Authorized Dealer. The dealer didn't clearly state which exactly was the production year of the guitar; after all, it's a 2022 MY, and I bought it in the first quarter of 2023.

So, if I would have need some information about the guitar, I could have referred (I supposed) to the PRS site, on which I read that the guitar is equipped with 85/15LT "S" pickups; once arrived I found that the pickups are ordinary 85/15 "S" pickups. Because the specifications on the PRS site are valid only for the 2023 MY.

Then the only chance I have to own a 2023 guitar (even having purchased a brand new guitar in 2023) would be the purchasing a set of 85/15LT pickups, for a sum that is about the 25% of the cost of the whole guitar; furthermore, I should hurry up the purchase due to the small availability of the pickup set. In other terms, PRS is doing a favour to me, selling me the pickups at 500€, if I want an updated guitar.

No update available, by supplying the 85/15LT "S" pickups at reasonable price, and no preferential treatment, neither in supplying nor in purchasing the pricey 85/15 LT set

In actual fact, I bought an obsolete guitar at the same price as the updated ones.

This seems to me a kind of policy that can be adopted by a firm that produces cheap guitar, not by someone that sells at PRS's prices.

I love the PRS guitars, but from now on, my love will be addressed to the guitars I already own. I'll never again buy any PRS guitar, because I like the PRS guitars but I absolutely dislike the PRS policy. The way PRS behaves seems to me at least as unfair as their guitars are beautiful
First off the pickups in thinline 594’s are 58/15 “S” pickups up until 2013 where they updated to 58/15LT “S” both sets are relatively cheap on reverb as long as you’re not confusing them with the NON “S” versions which are the American core pickups.

Second 58/15LT “S” pickups are not “worse” or “cheaper” than 58/15 “S” pickups. Both made from the same materials at the same import factory one just has less turns giving it slightly lower output and different frequency response.

Third the import pickups and electronics are the only downsides I’ve found in the S2 line and they sound way better once you upgrade them in my opinion. They sound fine but the guitars really sing after those things are upgrade.

Fourth this is totally on the dealer and they should do something for misleading you.

First off the pickups in thinline 594’s are 58/15 “S” pickups up until 2013 where they updated to 58/15LT “S” both sets are relatively cheap on reverb as long as you’re not confusing them with the NON “S” versions which are the American core pickups.

Second 58/15LT “S” pickups are not “worse” or “cheaper” than 58/15 “S” pickups. Both made from the same materials at the same import factory one just has less turns giving it slightly lower output and different frequency response.

Third the import pickups and electronics are the only downsides I’ve found in the S2 line and they sound way better once you upgrade them in my opinion. They sound fine but the guitars really sing after those things are upgrade.

Fourth this is totally on the dealer and they should do something for misleading you.
Thank you for your clarification.

I know fairly well the exixting differences between US and Korean pickups, as well between the standard and the LT pickups.

The only thing that puzzles me is the fact that, according to PRS, a "low turn" pickup would give a "warmer" tone. Besides, I would espect a lower resistance, not the same resistance, though such a result could be achieved using a lower section wire. I'm referring to the declared value of the US made pickups; but PRS claims the korean pickups are made in the same way that the US counterparts are.

Obviously, I didn't mean in any way that the US pickups are the same of the korean ones, or that PRS should sell the US made pickups at the same price of the korean ones.

I only meant that if PRS, through its network of distributors, someway confuses the customer, it should do something in order to mitigate the "potential" damage. Should PRS sell the US pickups at special price to the customers that currently buy a previous model, I would buy them without thinking twice on. I don't meat ant difficulty in grabbing my soldering iron and my screwdriver and use them. I'm used to perform the majority of the needed works on my guitars without applying to a luthier

On the other hand, at the beginning of 2020 I bought my Core custom 24, crafted in 2018, being aware that the pickups was not the "TCI" ones. without being badly upset.

In the same way, in 2019 I bought a 2018 Cobalt Burst Gibson Les Paul, being absolutely aware about the date of production: no Cobalt Burst Les Paul has been crafted after 2018 by Gibson. The date of manufacturing of most Gibson guitars are often unambiguos, due to different details, first of all the finish ; and the products that are a greater life span, usually keep the same specifications along the entire life span too.

This said, PRS makes amazing guitars, and we all know this very well. But there is a difference in being an excellent brand or an excellent firm (absit iniuria verbis); and it seems to me that only a few of the previous posters are able to catch such a difference, judging by their comments

Last edited:
Back