Why are 85/15 so expensive?

mixmkr

With the "s" import models selling for less than $100 for a set, the 85/15 seem to easily approach $500 a set. In general, I'm not even really seeing other manufacturers pickups so expensive.

New prices are silly, but I picked up the 5815LT and 8515 for half that used. Both of those were a limited release by PRS or in a guitar. They also do a sale on new pickups once or twice a year. That's usually when I pick mine up. The s pickups are only available used.

The only similarity to the s and US version is the name. The difference between the two is easily noticeable. They dont even compare, and there's a few versions of the 8515s floating out there. S pickups are made by a mass producer, that's all they do is make pickups to supply PRS and multiple other brands. Those others can be had fairly cheap new.

Last edited:
The only similarity to the s and US version is the name. The difference between the two is easily noticeable
Do you think Paul will admit that much difference?...or just the consumers?

Do you think Paul will admit that much difference?...or just the consumers?
Ask paul. :) This consumers view, there is quite a difference in tone. Honestly, I can't stand the 8515S. Blah, middle of the road at most things and excel at nothing. They are the pickups that sent me to finally go core because they were/are used in so many se. Figured by time I did a pickup swap, Mann bridge (huge fan of the warmth of brass), and locking tuners, I'm in used core territory.

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of the core 8515, too hi def for this player, the clarity is unbelievable. The neck can be pretty special. Bridge not so much in my hands. I haven't cared for it in multiple guitars.

The 5815S is another story. They are definitely serviceable pickups for me. Not the articulation, definition, and clarity of the core counterparts, but not bad at all. I have a set in a seHb2 that's been fighting like hell off a few core swaps. They'll get changed at some point, because I want something different, just not sure what. The 5815LT neck is my favorite PRS neck pickup, the 5815S, is good. So there's a difference.

Tone argument aside. The construction is different between core 8515 and S. The people PRS contract out for the S, make pickups on a large scale for multiple people. Apples and oranges for production costs and business model without even getting to the obvious of being made overseas. One has dedicated facilities to pickups and the other to guitars.

Last edited:
@SinSir ..do you like any of the PRS pickups thst you'd stick them in another brand of guitar? I'm given the impression PRS pickup purchasers are upgrading or customizing their PRS only

@SinSir ..do you like any of the PRS pickups thst you'd stick them in another brand of guitar? I'm given the impression PRS pickup purchasers are upgrading or customizing their PRS only
I'm more about replacing other brand guitars with PRS these days :)

But I would and have used PRS pickups in another brand. I tried a set of HFS/VB in a LP and they killed. That LP was sold after I picked up my SC58. One thing to think about is the squabbin pickups have an arched bobbin to match the PRS fretboard radius.

Mostly when modding I'm not mixing brands. There's so many excellent winders to choose, but if the brand has a killer set of pups I'm using those.

The PRS pickups are on the higher end of the spectrum price wise….. (Espiecally the LT versions)…..
I will say that the 57/08’s that I purchased for for my Corsa LP and S2 594 were well worth the $$ for the quality of tones I can achieve with them (especially when using a parallel resistor/cap treble bleed ) and the coil taps

Last edited:
Yep, and I later found out that it was someone here. Had I known that, I would have dropped the price considerably. It was a couple years later that I found out. It was Casi1. Haven't seen her on here in a couple of years.
Yeah........I often wonder what happened to her. She sold me a black chrome Mann trem probably about that same time.

Because people that want them bad enough will pay that. Heck, it’s cheaper than buying a $4k guitar to get them. Case in point, in 2018 I sold a set of 58/15LT for $750
I assume they came out of a guitar...
Why did you sell them?

I always assumed “85” was code and meant inspired by like, T’s an’ HFS, an’ Chainsaws.

I would throw 5909s in anything and it would most often be an improvement.
I been sayin’ for years they should just put a 59/09 & 57/08 combo as their standard thing, and just sit back and watch more money pile in.

Edit: Engrave TCI on them.

Back