On the PRS policy

Involt

I recently (one week ago) bought an S2 McCarthy 594 Thinline.

It should be my fourth PRS, after a CORE (CU24), an SE (Hollowbody II Piezo) and a CE (semi hollow).

It will surely be my last PRS purchase, forever.

I find it hard to understand which the policy of PRS is regarding the customer.

I bought my S2 brand new, from an Authorized Dealer. The dealer didn't clearly state which exactly was the production year of the guitar; after all, it's a 2022 MY, and I bought it in the first quarter of 2023.

So, if I would have need some information about the guitar, I could have referred (I supposed) to the PRS site, on which I read that the guitar is equipped with 85/15LT "S" pickups; once arrived I found that the pickups are ordinary 85/15 "S" pickups. Because the specifications on the PRS site are valid only for the 2023 MY.

Then the only chance I have to own a 2023 guitar (even having purchased a brand new guitar in 2023) would be the purchasing a set of 85/15LT pickups, for a sum that is about the 25% of the cost of the whole guitar; furthermore, I should hurry up the purchase due to the small availability of the pickup set. In other terms, PRS is doing a favour to me, selling me the pickups at 500€, if I want an updated guitar.

No update available, by supplying the 85/15LT "S" pickups at reasonable price, and no preferential treatment, neither in supplying nor in purchasing the pricey 85/15 LT set

In actual fact, I bought an obsolete guitar at the same price as the updated ones.

This seems to me a kind of policy that can be adopted by a firm that produces cheap guitar, not by someone that sells at PRS's prices.

I love the PRS guitars, but from now on, my love will be addressed to the guitars I already own. I'll never again buy any PRS guitar, because I like the PRS guitars but I absolutely dislike the PRS policy. The way PRS behaves seems to me at least as unfair as their guitars are beautiful

Last edited:
Yep get your dealer to sell you the guitar you expected to purchase , don't see how this is a PRS problem.
If you bought a 2022 car off the lot then you found out the 2023 had options you wanted pretty sure the car manufacture would say buy a 2023.
Pretty sure in some legal ease it says specs are subject to change without notice , PRS has always done rolling changes to product lines.
Your loss if you chose to not buy any more PRS guitars. IMHO ( PS I think you have the better pickups also :) Never been a fan of any of the LT pickups they are just to weak.

Yep get your dealer to sell you the guitar you expected to purchase , don't see how this is a PRS problem.
If you bought a 2022 car off the lot then you found out the 2023 had options you wanted pretty sure the car manufacture would say buy a 2023.
Pretty sure in some legal ease it says specs are subject to change without notice , PRS has always done rolling changes to product lines.
Your loss if you chose to not buy any more PRS guitars. IMHO ( PS I think you have the better pickups also :) Never been a fan of any of the LT pickups they are just to weak.
Well maybe I overreacted... but usually the car dealer is someway controlled by the parent company; after all, any Authorized Dealer acts on behalf of the parent company.

I realize that PRS can meet with some difficulty in such a situation, but it may give the customer the possibility to update/upgrade the guitar, sidestepping the difficulty. Exactly what it does with the locking tuners in several SE models.
Return the 2022, buy a 2023, and problem solved. I'd also prefer the 58/15S in the thinline and would keep the 2022. I'm a fan of the core LT though and that would be a nice mod.
Anyway, on reflection, I drew a conclusion similar to yours: the nonLT pickus are better than the LT ones for my purposes; so maybe it's just as well
A post ragging on PRS on a PRS company forum.

Outstanding!
Undoubtely
Who cares?
Of course, but this can apply to each message in this forum, to yours in primis:)

Back