The One That Got Away

I've never really felt too bothered about guitars that I saw somewhere but didn't buy. However, there are 2 guitars that I used to own that I regret selling. One was an older CE22 in Whale Blue and the other was a Scarlet Red S2 Custom 24.

I nabbed the CE on impulse while on the lookout for a McCarty. Ended up trading it for a McCarty that I didn't like nearly as much. Miss that thing to this day.
My S2 was the first US made PRS I ever owned and while it might not have been my best sounding guitar, but it was one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever owned.

I'm down on the "should've kept it" spin.

The only guitar I've ever sold is also the first guitar I ever owned, and the only righty. I had a (unknown version) mid 80's Ibanez strung up backwards for my first 2-3 years, which I sold to finance my first lefty.

I wish I kept it, but only for nostalgia's sake. I'd probably never play it seriously, but it'd be cool to still have.

I dunno I think I did better now. Wouldn't mind having back some of my 80's standards, or the green flake 'hog CE24.
Probably the McCarty Trem goldtop that had been Kevin Codagan's from 3rd Eye Blind...not that I care, it was just a great Mac.
I"m pretty happy with my stuff. Would say I miss my Klon, but the archer is just as good.
Probably do miss the most is my Greer Thunderchief amp...quad 6V6 beast with a ton of chime and grunt.

I guess I have 2 that I've wondered about.

Many years ago I was working in electronics at Wally World and was selling a stereo system to an nice older couple, they were probably in their late 60's or early 70's if I had to guess. Somehow the conversation got onto guitars and the wife mentioned that her first husband had played and that she still had his old guitar and amp in a bedroom closet. Of course my ears perked up and I asked if she knew what brand they were and if they were for sale. She couldn't remember the brand off top of her head, but indicated she might be willing to sell them as a pair if I was interested. So we made an appointment for the following weekend for me to come over and have a look and maybe make an offer on the pair. Unfortunately, the Friday night before I was in a car accident and was in no shape to keep the appointment. All I had was their address and when I healed up I went by, but they'd already moved. I've always wondered what that guitar and amp was and what happened to that couple. Knowing my luck it was probably an old Kay or Silvertone, but what if it wasn't?

They other was a deal that dropped out of nowhere that I still kick myself for letting pass. I was literally checking out of my local PRS dealer with my new-to-me SE CU24 and we were still shooting the bull about guitars, when I mentioned I'd always wanted a Les Paul Jr. He just happened to have one, how I missed it in the first place I still don't know, but he offered it for a really, really good price. I think I was stunned more than anything and just couldn't get my head around buying 2 guitars at the same time so I told him I'd think about it and maybe come back. I didn't go back. Doh!

A 1997 Telecaster. I traded it for a Les Paul that I traded for my S2 Standard 24. Earlier this week the guy I traded it to was selling it and I just missed it. I totally dig my PRS, but the Tele would have been purchased without question or approval. Heh. There was also a core Mira that I nearly pulled the trigger on. I probably should have bought it. It played amazingly.

Not the best photos but I don't want to pull it out from storage today.
z5g90cC.jpg

lhdNSZ7.jpg

KmEi2UD.jpg
Don't loan it out to Hateful Eight 2!!!

Don't loan it out to Hateful Eight 2!!!
Interesting story about that.

My brother was 10 years older than me. He was the black sheep of the family and would move out, and move back in with mom and dad, throughout my childhood. When I was about 15 the guitar went missing. Said brother told us someone must have stolen it. I'll love him forever, God rest his soul, but he was an habitual liar and could not be trusted with anything he said. Some time later that guitar showed up again. He had this awesome story about how he was a bouncer in a bar in the next hic town over from us and some guy was playing it in the bar and he walked up and snatched it out of the guys hands and said it was ours and he was taking it home. It is more likely that he pawned it and fortunately had just enough honor and good luck, to get it back out of hawk and return it.

Since I was the only one who learned to play it, after mom and dad died, among the few things they left to us 4 kids, it was my good fortune to receive it.

Interesting story about that.

My brother was 10 years older than me. He was the black sheep of the family and would move out, and move back in with mom and dad, throughout my childhood. When I was about 15 the guitar went missing. Said brother told us someone must have stolen it. I'll love him forever, God rest his soul, but he was an habitual liar and could not be trusted with anything he said. Some time later that guitar showed up again. He had this awesome story about how he was a bouncer in a bar in the next hic town over from us and some guy was playing it in the bar and he walked up and snatched it out of the guys hands and said it was ours and he was taking it home. It is more likely that he pawned it and fortunately had just enough honor and good luck, to get it back out of hawk and return it.

Since I was the only one who learned to play it, after mom and dad died, among the few things they left to us 4 kids, it was my good fortune to receive it.
Destiny!:)

Back