The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Ok, here's my take after spending an hour with a Silver Sky (along with our forum's alantig - nice to meet you by the way !). I was amazed at the feel of the neck, the sustain, the deep, rich tone of the pickups and the fact we could NOT get it to fret out, anywhere on the neck). Did I mention it sustained for days - "strats aren't supposed to do this" I told Alan. We played it through the little Tremonti head and a 1x12 Mesa Cab - the bridge pup just growl - not a hint of ice pick, the middle pup was unique and completely usable on it's own and the neck with the tone rolled back was smokey - but NEVER loosing clarity. The 2 and 4 positions were the Mayer and Robert Cray tones I dig. That neck/middle combo just NAILED Mayer, even without a big 6L6 reverb amp, the clarity of the strings was totally there. Fit and finish - it's a PRS, it was impeccable. My only hesitation was the fret wire, I felt I would probably have bought it in a heart beat if it had slightly higher frets (my main PRS is a DGT). I really struggled not to say "I'll take it". Perhaps a different finish on future Silver Skys at our local shop will change my mind or a better playing through a Mesa Lonestar like I have will convince me on the next visit.

Although Clay the PRS rep hinted at something that will be introduced at the Experience this summer that may be the total game changer to this guy who love's Mayer Super Eagle ; - )

Try the Silver Sky folks - it's a modern, re-imaged "hi-def" s-style.

It was great to meet you, too, especially after missing you last year!

I really don't have much to add to this - I'm not the Strat expert. But it is a wonderful playing guitar. We could not get bends to fret out at all, and we were getting close to two full steps on them.

The bridge pickup had a nice sharp attack - and with the tone rolled back to 8, it bloomed and warmed up nicely.

At this point I`d consider myself lucky just to get to see one soon! I decided I would at least try one, but it looks like every one hitting any store near me will be sold til at least months months from now. However, Mayer has already said that due to the positive response to the guitar, there would probably be more colors, maple fingerboard and maybe even more options. Hopefully "other options " means the exact neck off my NF3! ;)

I’ve been buying PRSes for 27 years, and they’ve never felt like luxury brand products. They’ve felt like necessities.

Then again, I’m not all that into food, tires or batteries. ;)

LOL...well from what I understand with your posts, your probably in a different income bracket than a lot of other buyers??? LOL
That said, most people can't buy a new $2000 - $4000 PRS every month, let alone Private Stocks.
However, that is probably the total average monthly gross income range of the typical PRS buyer.
That "guitar" will pay for food, housing, car payment, tires, etc....
Thereby, the S2's came to fruition. A more affordable PRS that can maintain the company's margins.
Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people with money to spend on a high end guitar/amp.
PRS has the market cornered as far as I am concerned, however, I have no data to back this up. Just my experience. That said, Custom Shop Strats are the worst in holding their value as far as I have seen.

So how many PRS guitars do you have? Your favorite?
I personally love the pre 1994 CE-24s, SAS (anything in Swamp Ash) and maple necks/fret boards. I am a big fan of the rosewood necks, however, the East Indian versions.

I want to play an SS before I buy one as I really don't like a 25.5 scale unless the guitar fits my body/height. It's strange to say, but, I just like the 25 inch scale.

I am very happy to see Alder back as a staple though, and that alone will probably get me to buy one.

LOL...well from what I understand with your posts, your probably in a different income bracket than a lot of other buyers??? LOL

Yeah! I’m poorer! :eek:

So how many PRS guitars do you have? Your favorite?

While I’ve had a good number of them over the years, it’s been a serial addiction.

I have 6, a lot fewer than many here, though I’ve tried to get models that are a bit off the beaten path. Four are PS (three electric, one acoustic), two are plain ol’ Core (594 humbucker and soapbar).

Lately I’ve been playing the 594s a ton, maybe because there’s a honeymoon factor at work. But they all see regular use. I’m as happy as a pig in slop with the whole group!

How many is too many?

Yeah! I’m poorer! :eek:

While I’ve had a good number of them over the years, it’s been a serial addiction.

I have 6, a lot fewer than many here, though I’ve tried to get models that are a bit off the beaten path. Four are PS (three electric, one acoustic), two are plain ol’ Core (594 humbucker and soapbar).

Lately I’ve been playing the 594s a ton, maybe because there’s a honeymoon factor at work. But they all see regular use. I’m as happy as a pig in slop with the whole group!

Cool on the 59s.
I don't own a 594. By choice as I have an 2 of the SC-58's that I love. However, I have an OPEN relationship with them that allows me to Swing!!! LOL
I only have 1 PS as I am afraid to put that much money in a guitar, that I will never play.
Besides, I found that I can get 3 -4 PRS guitars, so that I have a variety.
Just a matter of time and money, as with any guitar.

Cool on the 59s.
I don't own a 594. By choice as I have an 2 of the SC-58's that I love. However, I have an OPEN relationship with them that allows me to Swing!!! LOL

Hah! Swingin’ is good!

I had an SC-58 that I let go in a foolish moment. It was superb. I should have kept it. 53/10s and an ebony fretboard. Sounded great, played great, what the hell was I thinking? It would’ve made a nice counterpoint to my McCarty Singlecut.

I was reluctant to buy a 594 until they came out with the Soapbar model, because of the McSC. However, the 594 is different enough from it, and other SC58 and SC245 variants, to justify owning. This is especially true in the DC version, where the lighter weight is kind of nice!

After I got the Soapbar 594, I more or less fell in love with the overall feel and tone, and decided I would add the humbucker version. I traded in a really nice McCarty on the humbucker 594; I’d consider adding another McCarty at some point, because it’s one of my favorite models, but GAS for the 594 was way too strong.

So I guess I can finally tell this story in public.

A few years ago we received an email from a guy asking for Paul Smith's personal phone number. The email was picked up by Sean, on our customer service team. Sean asked me what we should do about the request? I said, we need to qualify the guy to make sure he is "Thee" John Mayer, not just some dude named John Mayer. So Sean wrote back politely asking the author of the email to confirm his identity and this is what we received in return. After that moment, I never wanted to hear another petty word about John Mayer. He happens to be extremely talented and famous, but he's an OK guy in my book.

View attachment 6209
View attachment 6209

Too.Cool.

A few years ago we received an email from a guy asking for Paul Smith's personal phone number. The email was picked up by Sean, on our customer service team. Sean asked me what we should do about the request? I said, we need to qualify the guy to make sure he is "Thee" John Mayer, not just some dude named John Mayer. So Sean wrote back politely asking the author of the email to confirm his identity and this is what we received in return. After that moment, I never wanted to hear another petty word about John Mayer. He happens to be extremely talented and famous, but he's an OK guy in my book.

View attachment 6209
View attachment 6209

Sometimes a famous person is still a real, nice human being. The guy’s a major talent on top of everything.

Awesome post!

Hey @Shawn@PRS , did you use a dark-gray font just to mess with people like me? Took a while to find the words, since I use the UI.X Dark theme...

View attachment 6209
View attachment 6209
Awesome story Shawn, thanks for sharing!

I tried to do the exact same thing once, but even after I sent in a nude selfie you didn't give me PRSh's personal number. What gives? So much for that legendary PRS customer service!

Back