The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2018.

1. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

It was great to meet you, too, especially after missing you last year!

I really don't have much to add to this - I'm not the Strat expert. But it is a wonderful playing guitar. We could not get bends to fret out at all, and we were getting close to two full steps on them.

The bridge pickup had a nice sharp attack - and with the tone rolled back to 8, it bloomed and warmed up nicely.

LSchefman, bodia, Alnus Rubra and 2 others like this.
  2. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules There will never be another

At this point I`d consider myself lucky just to get to see one soon! I decided I would at least try one, but it looks like every one hitting any store near me will be sold til at least months months from now. However, Mayer has already said that due to the positive response to the guitar, there would probably be more colors, maple fingerboard and maybe even more options. Hopefully "other options " means the exact neck off my NF3! ;)

dogrocketp likes this.
  3. Eilif

Eilif New Member

Are the 635 pickups made with wire off of the same "magic" machine from which comes the wire for the 58/15?

4. BeerBatteredPhish

BeerBatteredPhish New Member

I’m guessing unicorns wind them in a glitter filled room where only music recorded through Dumble amps is played.
    ;):D

dogrocketp, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  5. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Don’t forget the machines are operated by pixies and elves!;)

bodia and BeerBatteredPhish like this.
  6. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

We should have cases available online in the near future. This will be part of a much larger overhaul of the entire parts and accessories department. I think you'll see some very noticeable improvements in the coming months.

Alnus Rubra, g.wizz, JonW and 5 others like this.
  7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I think it’s pretty nice already, so I can’t wait to see what you guys are up to!

JonW, [email protected] and aufgangs like this.
  8. Bluesverb

Bluesverb Currently in a long term relationship with myself!

LOL...well from what I understand with your posts, your probably in a different income bracket than a lot of other buyers??? LOL
    That said, most people can't buy a new $2000 - $4000 PRS every month, let alone Private Stocks.
    However, that is probably the total average monthly gross income range of the typical PRS buyer.
    That "guitar" will pay for food, housing, car payment, tires, etc....
    Thereby, the S2's came to fruition. A more affordable PRS that can maintain the company's margins.
    Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people with money to spend on a high end guitar/amp.
    PRS has the market cornered as far as I am concerned, however, I have no data to back this up. Just my experience. That said, Custom Shop Strats are the worst in holding their value as far as I have seen.

So how many PRS guitars do you have? Your favorite?
    I personally love the pre 1994 CE-24s, SAS (anything in Swamp Ash) and maple necks/fret boards. I am a big fan of the rosewood necks, however, the East Indian versions.

I want to play an SS before I buy one as I really don't like a 25.5 scale unless the guitar fits my body/height. It's strange to say, but, I just like the 25 inch scale.

I am very happy to see Alder back as a staple though, and that alone will probably get me to buy one.

dogrocketp, LSchefman and ruger9 like this.
  9. aufgangs

aufgangs Gooz

Thank you @[email protected] for the reply ::)

[email protected] likes this.
  10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Yeah! I’m poorer! :eek:

While I’ve had a good number of them over the years, it’s been a serial addiction.

I have 6, a lot fewer than many here, though I’ve tried to get models that are a bit off the beaten path. Four are PS (three electric, one acoustic), two are plain ol’ Core (594 humbucker and soapbar).

Lately I’ve been playing the 594s a ton, maybe because there’s a honeymoon factor at work. But they all see regular use. I’m as happy as a pig in slop with the whole group!

dogrocketp, Alnus Rubra, JonW and 2 others like this.
  11. Bluesverb

Bluesverb Currently in a long term relationship with myself!

How many is too many?

Cool on the 59s.
    I don't own a 594. By choice as I have an 2 of the SC-58's that I love. However, I have an OPEN relationship with them that allows me to Swing!!! LOL
    I only have 1 PS as I am afraid to put that much money in a guitar, that I will never play.
    Besides, I found that I can get 3 -4 PRS guitars, so that I have a variety.
    Just a matter of time and money, as with any guitar.

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Hah! Swingin’ is good!

I had an SC-58 that I let go in a foolish moment. It was superb. I should have kept it. 53/10s and an ebony fretboard. Sounded great, played great, what the hell was I thinking? It would’ve made a nice counterpoint to my McCarty Singlecut.

I was reluctant to buy a 594 until they came out with the Soapbar model, because of the McSC. However, the 594 is different enough from it, and other SC58 and SC245 variants, to justify owning. This is especially true in the DC version, where the lighter weight is kind of nice!

After I got the Soapbar 594, I more or less fell in love with the overall feel and tone, and decided I would add the humbucker version. I traded in a really nice McCarty on the humbucker 594; I’d consider adding another McCarty at some point, because it’s one of my favorite models, but GAS for the 594 was way too strong.

dogrocketp and bodia like this.
  13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Too.Cool.

kes7u and [email protected] like this.
  14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Sometimes a famous person is still a real, nice human being. The guy’s a major talent on top of everything.

Awesome post!

15. kes7u

kes7u Wife's husband and Dog's dad

Way too cool!!! Love that story!

Kevin

16. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Hey @[email protected] , did you use a dark-gray font just to mess with people like me? Took a while to find the words, since I use the UI.X Dark theme...

17. bodia

Ditto! I had to squint real hard until I realized I could "Quote" the message and change the color. Much better!

g.wizz likes this.
  18. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Awesome story Shawn, thanks for sharing!

I tried to do the exact same thing once, but even after I sent in a nude selfie you didn't give me PRSh's personal number. What gives? So much for that legendary PRS customer service!

dogrocketp, Alnus Rubra, JonW and 3 others like this.
  19. bodia

Better!

20. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

I still have that selfie pinned to the wall of my cubical!