The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Hi Peter,
Your dealer should receive a portion of their order in the near future. But with 375 available guitars and 1500 orders taken in the first round, the dealer won't see the bulk of their order for a while. Let's say they ordered 10 guitars and you are #1 on their list, your guitar should arrive soon. If you are #10 on their list, it's going to be a few more months before the dealer receives it.

Thanks - Shawn

Thanks, Shawn! Yeah they sold one already so I'm next in line so hopefully soon!

Some awesome pics from a dealer post on FB.
From their words can clearly understand what a huge demand this amazing axe having!!

“The customer was present as we unboxed this gem. Amazing. We have no idea when the rest are coming in, so don't call us and ask us, please! If you have one on order, you are going to be blown away.”

Cannot wait to get mine!!!
Enjoy! :)

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1928276427243602&id=176454402425822

Last edited:
Hey folks,

There have been some questions regarding delivery dates, so here is an update.
-When the Silver Sky was first announced to the dealers, we took approximately 1500 orders.
-Once the guitar was officially released to the public, we took an additional 1500 orders.
-We had approximately 375 guitars ready to ship to dealers world wide.
-Considering production capacity, we went from having zero backorder to an eight month backorder within a few days.

This is a game of inches. If your order was one of the first we received, you should be receiving your guitar soon. If your order is closer to the end of that backorder, you won't see your guitar for several months. We appreciate your patience as we work through the backorder without losing sight of our commitment to quality.

Hey Shawn thanks for this update!
I'm just curious about something:
I place an order with my dealer for one is amongst the 500 with hardcase but am told that they will only get it in July.
Does that mean that not all the 500 in hardcase will be the first guitars being shipped out to dealers?

Not a big deal, just wanted to know more, thanks!!

Hi Peter,
Your dealer should receive a portion of their order in the near future. But with 375 available guitars and 1500 orders taken in the first round, the dealer won't see the bulk of their order for a while. Let's say they ordered 10 guitars and you are #1 on their list, your guitar should arrive soon. If you are #10 on their list, it's going to be a few more months before the dealer receives it.

Thanks - Shawn
Thanks, Shawn. I’m second in line with a signature dealer. Fingers crossed that they’re both tungsten. I’ve all but given up on the case pipe dream.

What's the gig bag going to be like, BTW? I found a small picture somewhere and it looked different than the current PRS gig bag (which can be bought through the accessories store)...

What's the gig bag going to be like, BTW? I found a small picture somewhere and it looked different than the current PRS gig bag (which can be bought through the accessories store)...

Honestly I think the PRS gigbags aren't fantastic looking, but I know they are pretty well made. And hardcase...let's face it no one ever uses one haha.
I personally prefer using Mono for my gigbags.

Have been waiting to get my hands on one before I cast my judgement. before today I thought it was kinda cool, but I'm not a huge John Mayer fan or a massive strat player so I didn't think I'd care much for it. However today, thanks to the guys at pmt birmingham and the main man himself, I got to spend a little time with one. Looks so much more expensive in person than it does in the pictures, feels amazing, again I really expected not to like the neck but it felt really comfortable and easy to play. I was playing through the MT15 (which although I only used the clean channel it was incredible). the guitar is so smooth sounding, again as I mainly play rock and metal I was expecting not to like it, made me want to learn a whole new style of guitar just so I can justify buying one. Truly blown away by it, PRS and John Mayer have created one hell of a guitar. congrats to them.

Mine came on Wednesday, much earlier than I anticipated!

Loving it so far. Frets are a lot smaller than I thought they would but you get used to it, and it does give it that vintage feel, fights back a little.

As JM said, lots of top end frequencies are missing, sounds a little darker than Fender strats.

One other interesting thing you may like is that a Fender Strat doesn't fit into the Silver Sky case, body is too big.

Last edited:
Hey Shawn thanks for this update!
I'm just curious about something:
I place an order with my dealer for one is amongst the 500 with hardcase but am told that they will only get it in July.
Does that mean that not all the 500 in hardcase will be the first guitars being shipped out to dealers?

Not a big deal, just wanted to know more, thanks!!

As far as I know, no dealers can guaranty they will receive a guitar with a case. Keep in mind, we have 500 guitars spread across the entire world, so the mix will be approximately 250 cases for the US and 250 for the rest of the world. That being said, the first 500 guitars ordered won't necessarily be the first 500 shipped.

@Shawn@PRS Are you going to be able to buy the Silver Sky soft bag separately from the guitar? I got the hard case which is great but they're not light, and a bag would be better for travelling etc.

@Shawn@PRS Are you going to be able to buy the bag seperately? I got the hard case which is great but they're not light, and a bag would be better for travelling etc.

We will be revamping our entire parts and accessories offerings over the next few months. I know the SS cases will be available and I believe the gig bags will be available for sale as well.

I saw someone on instagram who bought one from their local dealer. They said they hadn't purchased a new guitar in a long time. They said they did not pre-order the Silver Sky, so they were not obligated to buy it. Said the dealer had a bunch of high-end S and S-type guitars in the shop and they was able to A/B it against some quality instruments of the same ilk. The customer took the Silver Sky home.

Ok, here's my take after spending an hour with a Silver Sky (along with our forum's alantig - nice to meet you by the way !). I was amazed at the feel of the neck, the sustain, the deep, rich tone of the pickups and the fact we could NOT get it to fret out, anywhere on the neck). Did I mention it sustained for days - "strats aren't supposed to do this" I told Alan. We played it through the little Tremonti head and a 1x12 Mesa Cab - the bridge pup just growl - not a hint of ice pick, the middle pup was unique and completely usable on it's own and the neck with the tone rolled back was smokey - but NEVER loosing clarity. The 2 and 4 positions were the Mayer and Robert Cray tones I dig. That neck/middle combo just NAILED Mayer, even without a big 6L6 reverb amp, the clarity of the strings was totally there. Fit and finish - it's a PRS, it was impeccable. My only hesitation was the fret wire, I felt I would probably have bought it in a heart beat if it had slightly higher frets (my main PRS is a DGT). I really struggled not to say "I'll take it". Perhaps a different finish on future Silver Skys at our local shop will change my mind or a better playing through a Mesa Lonestar like I have will convince me on the next visit.

Although Clay the PRS rep hinted at something that will be introduced at the Experience this summer that may be the total game changer to this guy who love's Mayer Super Eagle ; - )

Try the Silver Sky folks - it's a modern, re-imaged "hi-def" s-style.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.
Ok, here's my take after spending an hour with a Silver Sky (along with our forum's alantig - nice to meet you by the way !). I was amazed at the feel of the neck, the sustain, the deep, rich tone of the pickups and the fact we could NOT get it to fret out, anywhere on the neck). Did I mention it sustained for days - "strats aren't supposed to do this" I told Alan. We played it through the little Tremonti head and a 1x12 Mesa Cab - the bridge pup just growl - not a hint of ice pick, the middle pup was unique and completely usable on it's own and the neck with the tone rolled back was smokey - but NEVER loosing clarity. The 2 and 4 positions were the Mayer and Robert Cray tones I dig. That neck/middle combo just NAILED Mayer, even without a big 6L6 reverb amp, the clarity of the strings was totally there. Fit and finish - it's a PRS, it was impeccable. My only hesitation was the fret wire, I felt I would probably have bought it in a heart beat if it had slightly higher frets (my main PRS is a DGT). I really struggled not to say "I'll take it". Perhaps a different finish on future Silver Skys at our local shop will change my mind or a better playing through a Mesa Lonestar like I have will convince me on the next visit.

Although Clay the PRS rep hinted at something that will be introduced at the Experience this summer that my be the total game changer to this guy who love's Mayer Super Eagle ; - )

Although Clay the PRS rep hinted at something that will be introduced at the Experience this summer that my be the total game changer to this guy who love's Mayer Super Eagle ; - )

Loving the takes on this for you guys! Can't wait for mine to ship, whenever that is!

Back