The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

We will be revamping our entire parts and accessories offerings over the next few months. I know the SS cases will be available and I believe the gig bags will be available for sale as well.
Awesome! :)

Although Clay the PRS rep hinted at something that will be introduced at the Experience this summer that may be the total game changer to this guy who love's Mayer Super Eagle ; - )
:eek:
Oh no...

PRS EG anyone -- very similar in my opinion - I'll stick withmine

EG-II-Flame-151586-front.jpg

As far as I know, no dealers can guaranty they will receive a guitar with a case. Keep in mind, we have 500 guitars spread across the entire world, so the mix will be approximately 250 cases for the US and 250 for the rest of the world. That being said, the first 500 guitars ordered won't necessarily be the first 500 shipped.

Thanks for this reply Shawn! That really helps me understand a bit better.
If the first 500 guitars ordered won't necessarily be the first 500 shipped, does that also then mean that the 500 that will come in hardcases won't necessarily be amongst either the first 500 ordered or the first 500 shipped?

Because I saw this from a European dealer's site https://www.euro-unit.com/de/eu-blog/item/26-silver-sky-new-prs-guitar
"To celebrate the introduction of the PRS Silver Sky, John Mayer’s signature model, PRS will be casing the first 500 guitars in a special hardshell case. The case was modeled after our standard Core hardshell case and includes a commemorative plaque on the outside. Secure your guitar on time, because there will be only 125 guitars with hardshell case available in Europe. After the first 500 guitars are cased, the PRS Silver Sky will include a new, high-quality gig bag."

And from this other European dealer too:
http://guitars.customshoplounge.com/PRS_JM_Silver_Sky_Frost_lounch_edition_including_hardcase
"The PRS Silver Sky will start shipping on March 20, 2018. The first 500 guitars to ship to dealers and distributors worldwide from PRS Guitars’ Maryland, USA factory will include a commemorative hardshell case."

We will be revamping our entire parts and accessories offerings over the next few months. I know the SS cases will be available and I believe the gig bags will be available for sale as well.

So the gigbag that the SS will come with is a new "design/look" from the previous/existing gigbags that PRS offers.

Can I clarify, the "SS cases that will be available" refers to a newly designed hardcase that will fit the SS as well as other PRS bolt on's. It'll be the same one that the 500 SS will come in, just that those hardcases available for sale will not have the plaque riveted to the corner that says "Silver Sky JM Model". Am I right?
silverskyltdcase_1.jpg

Thanks Shawn!!!

Last edited:
If the first 500 guitars ordered won't necessarily be the first 500 shipped, does that also then mean that the 500 that will come in hardcases won't necessarily be amongst either the first 500 ordered or the first 500 shipped?

Because I saw this from a European dealer's site https://www.euro-unit.com/de/eu-blog/item/26-silver-sky-new-prs-guitar
"To celebrate the introduction of the PRS Silver Sky, John Mayer’s signature model, PRS will be casing the first 500 guitars in a special hardshell case. The case was modeled after our standard Core hardshell case and includes a commemorative plaque on the outside. Secure your guitar on time, because there will be only 125 guitars with hardshell case available in Europe. After the first 500 guitars are cased, the PRS Silver Sky will include a new, high-quality gig bag."

http://guitars.customshoplounge.com/PRS_JM_Silver_Sky_Frost_lounch_edition_including_hardcase
"The PRS Silver Sky will start shipping on March 20, 2018. The first 500 guitars to ship to dealers and distributors worldwide from PRS Guitars’ Maryland, USA factory will include a commemorative hardshell case."

So the gigbag that the SS will come with is a new "design/look" from the previous/existing gigbags that PRS offers.

Can I clarify, the "SS cases that will be available" refers to a newly designed hardcase that will fit the SS as well as other PRS bolt on's. It'll be the same one that the 500 SS will come in, just that those hardcases available for sale will not have the plaque riveted to the corner that says "Silver Sky JM Model". Am I right?

As for the SIlver Sky’s case that will be sold separately it will definitely be without the commemorative plaque.

Sorry if I’ll be an ass but I think your dealer doesn’t know nothing.. the second run should shipped in a month or two as for dealers statements..even at the webstore you had quoted they are saying that the other two colors arriving August will be with a gig-bag. As what you have said that Asia will get their cases late in July is totally not true as Indonesia, Japan, and even Australia got their Silver Sky’s with their cases. I hope Shawn will deliver you better news but I suggest you to check this with your dealer.

Cheers

As for the SIlver Sky’s case that will be sold separately it will definitely be without the commemorative plaque.

Sorry if I’ll be an ass but I think your dealer doesn’t know nothing.. the second run should shipped in a month or two as for dealers statements..even at the webstore you had quoted they are saying that the other two colors arriving August will be with a gig-bag. As what you have said that Asia will get their cases late in July is totally not true as Indonesia, Japan, and even Australia got their Silver Sky’s with their cases. I hope Shawn will deliver you better news but I suggest you to check this with your dealer.

Cheers

Thanks for answering regarding the plaque. So it'll just be a generic hardcase (Newly designed of course) that will fit the SS as well as other bolt ons.

Yea that's true. I think I had better find out from my dealer. Apparently there are already 3 batches in total, the first being July, second is October and if any order is placed now, it'll be for December.

I just wanted to say that I CAN'T BELIEVE how much of this thread is NOT about the GUITAR. I've had to skip umpteen posts looking for discussion of the GUITAR, and I'm only on page 17!! Out of 40!!!!

I know we all like to talk, but come on....

Thanks for answering regarding the plaque. So it'll just be a generic hardcase (Newly designed of course) that will fit the SS as well as other bolt ons.

Yea that's true. I think I had better find out from my dealer. Apparently there are already 3 batches in total, the first being July, second is October and if any order is placed now, it'll be for December.

Good luck man! I am sorry I am a party pooper but I don’t want you to get disappointed and found out to late so you can manage to get a one with a case now as long as you can!

silverskyltdcase_1.jpg

Thanks Shawn!!!

The first 500 ordered won't necessarily be the first 500 shipped.

The case that will eventually be available for sale, will be the exact same SS case, minus the plaque.

The case that will eventually be available for sale, will be the exact same SS case, minus the plaque.
Shawn so I can order now and maybe I will get a case in November or so?

I wonder how long it'll be until dealers simply "have stock" (all the pre-orders are filled)? Sounds like 2019 from Shawn's posts here.

Oh well, at least I can turn down the GAS on this one, since I don't have the money right now, won't pre-order one, and have until 2019 to not think about it. But I will say: I WANT ONE. I'm not a Mayer fan (altho interestingly, his own demo vid may have turned me around on that), and I just sold a PRS because I never played it... thinking I'm "just not a PRS guy"... altho I still want a DGT lol. But THIS? I agree with all of Mayer's "criticisms" of the Fenders (I have a great Fender strat), especially the "high treble" thing, and the SS sounds and looks fantastic. I'll be totally honest, when I first saw the pic of the SS I was like "WTF?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!" But, after getting over the same BS everyone had, I realize the PRS has built a "slightly better mousetrap", AND the headstock actually makes it it's own thing... it's not a "PRS" as the world knows them (25" scale, wide fat, etc), but it's also not a "Fender."

Looking forward to trying one. In 2019 :rolleyes:

My 2 cents on why you must wait for a new SS or new PRS.

If you look a Ern Bl, or Ricknbkr, they have a long wait time. They work off a "pull" ordering system.
PRS transferred to this type of production, mainly during to the recession, to better manage the $.

Ironically, in the Annapolis days, they had long wait times as they were a small company. When they transferred to the new facility in the mid 90s, they were able to meet demand faster due to the modernization of production lines. Sales went up, and after all, high sales =high profits (in theory at least) and the quicker you got your product to market, the faster the money rolled in.

However, once demand was satisfied, sales slackened, and so did manufacturing.

These ups and downs, coupled with numerous direct and indirect attributes that affect Sales, leaves all types of manufacturers at the mercy of external market forces. Everything from the CITES treaty to Volcanoes erupting in Europe (Yes, it's true) has had an impact over the last 10 years.

The "Pull" system allows companies the opportunity to meet new demands, like the SS, while still maintaining orders placed 3 months ago per say.

In another words, PRS has better control of production planning/demand planning it's products, thereby smoothing out the "ups and downs" of market forces.
This leaves the company stronger, at the expense of customer wait times.
However, Paul knows that we will wait for his guitars!!!
That is a great business model, isn't it? After all, if you want a new car, you will not wait 6 months for one! However, low qty/high demand dictates that you will wait for that new Camaro SS with a 7.0 litter 1000hp ZR-1 vet engine.
In other words, luxury brand products are sold to customers with disposable income. The $4,000 - $12,000 PRS competes with boats, cars, motorcycles, not every day commodities such as food, tires, batteries, etc...

Growth is good. Planned growth is better.

Ah okay got it. Thanks for answering everything.
So basically the only "limited edition" is literally the 500 hardcases with the plaque. And those 500 guitars that come with hardcases don't have anything special about them. It's just the plaque that's limited.
John wants the guitar to be available to everyone.

In other words, luxury brand products are sold to customers with disposable income. The $4,000 - $12,000 PRS competes with boats, cars, motorcycles, not every day commodities such as food, tires, batteries, etc...

I’ve been buying PRSes for 27 years, and they’ve never felt like luxury brand products. They’ve felt like necessities.

Then again, I’m not all that into food, tires or batteries. ;)

My 2 cents on why you must wait for a new SS or new PRS.

If you look a Ern Bl, or Ricknbkr, they have a long wait time. They work off a "pull" ordering system.
PRS transferred to this type of production, mainly during to the recession, to better manage the $.

Ironically, in the Annapolis days, they had long wait times as they were a small company. When they transferred to the new facility in the mid 90s, they were able to meet demand faster due to the modernization of production lines. Sales went up, and after all, high sales =high profits (in theory at least) and the quicker you got your product to market, the faster the money rolled in.

However, once demand was satisfied, sales slackened, and so did manufacturing.

These ups and downs, coupled with numerous direct and indirect attributes that affect Sales, leaves all types of manufacturers at the mercy of external market forces. Everything from the CITES treaty to Volcanoes erupting in Europe (Yes, it's true) has had an impact over the last 10 years.

The "Pull" system allows companies the opportunity to meet new demands, like the SS, while still maintaining orders placed 3 months ago per say.

In another words, PRS has better control of production planning/demand planning it's products, thereby smoothing out the "ups and downs" of market forces.
This leaves the company stronger, at the expense of customer wait times.
However, Paul knows that we will wait for his guitars!!!
That is a great business model, isn't it? After all, if you want a new car, you will not wait 6 months for one! However, low qty/high demand dictates that you will wait for that new Camaro SS with a 7.0 litter 1000hp ZR-1 vet engine.

Growth is good. Planned growth is better.
Don't know if it's common knowledge, but PRS went into two production shifts recently to keep up with market demand (heard this yesterday from the PRS factory rep at my local shop).

Last edited:
Ah okay got it. Thanks for answering everything.
So basically the only "limited edition" is literally the 500 hardcases with the plaque. And those 500 guitars that come with hardcases don't have anything special about them. It's just the plaque that's limited.
John wants the guitar to be available to everyone.
Not to be a buzzkill, but if I understand it correctly, there is NO “limited edition” at all. There are just 50o that come with a case. So calling there is a “limit” to the number, but it’s not a “limited edition.” A case will be available to other buyers soon, perhaps without a Mayer badge.

Not to be a buzzkill, but if I understand it correctly, there is NO “limited edition” at all. There are just 50o that come with a case. So calling there is a “limit” to the number, but it’s not a “limited edition.” A case will be available to other buyers soon, perhaps without a Mayer badge.

No worries not at a buzzkill at all. It's just me wanting to clarify that there's nothing limited about these guitars since John himself said that this was designed with the purpose of making it available to all.
Hence, there's nothing special about these 500 guitars at all that come in a hardcase. For all we know they might not even be the first 500 SS to be made like what Shawn said.

The only thing "limited" is the plaque/badge on those 500 cases. and even then, I don't think it's of significant value.

Back