The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2018.

1. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Fungi Monkey

And, in my opinion, easily one of the top 3 greatest living guitar players.

bodia likes this.
  2. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Oh yes!

3. Geo408

Geo408 New Member

Yeah...easily.

4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Concur!

5. Shawn@PRS

Staff Member Moderator

Wait, who are we talking about here, Greg Koch or John Mayer?

6. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

Well the thing about Greg Koch is that he makes amazing funky manic guitar noises while there's obviously many (many!) other things going on in his head, body, and mouth. His playing is almost a side effect of all of what's going on, and it's amazing, effortless zen master-level playing.

Mayer's playing is really good (I'll never get there!) but it takes more of him to get it out there, if you follow me.

7. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Greg. Though JM is way up there for me as well.

bodia and [email protected] like this.
  8. Alnus Rubra

I think JM and Greg are very different players.

It’s like trying to say that Steve Vai is a better guitarist than Tommy Emmanuel.

9. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Agreed.

10. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

I took a Skype guitar lesson with Greg about a year ago. After about 3 minutes I was completely lost.*

*Ok, it was only 2 mins. :oops:

Tucson Thump, JonW, bodia and 8 others like this.
  11. Alnus Rubra

Please tell me he did at least one:

“Hum, digga, doh, booger”

??

If you need a point of reference, watch the last video on the previous page.

bodia and 11top like this.
  12. 88prs

88prs OCD for PRS

Even though Greg is from another planet, he's the most approachable down to earth friendly guy I've met in person. JM I will probably never meet. And Greg has also played my guitar! but he took all the good notes.

13. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

Greg Koch is one of the most amazing guitarists I've ever heard, but I can't listen to him for more than about a minute before my brain starts feeling about as frazzled and frenetic as his always sounds. Just total and complete overload. That's his natural state and good for him. It's not mine and I can only take very small doses of it. He's great for product demos like these because he can play snippets of every style ever in each pickup combination and setting and you can get a good feel for the instrument. And he's hilarious too, in that same frenetic crazy way. But any time I've tried to actually listen to an album or a YouTube of him in performance, I can't get through more than a minute or two before I have to put on some BB King or Peter Green or Miles - one of those people who place as much emphasis on what they DON'T play as what they do. He may be the greatest guitarist I've never been able to listen to.

Tucson Thump, bodia and Joesnewmatch like this.
  14. 11top

I understand your point, but when he stays within a song, he’s very “listenable” for me. Here’s a good example:

Alnus Rubra and dmatthews like this.
  15. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

Yup, during the majority of that tune, when he's accompanying the song, he's fine. But he's not particularly great - he's doing what a lot of other sidemen would be doing there and doing it well. When he takes his lead break in the later portion of it, it's chock full of everything that makes him amazing and everything that makes him unlistenable to me for any length of time. The lead break here is short enough that I could get through it pretty easily, but this basically reinforces how I already feel about the guy. To be clear, I'd give up various underused organs and appendages to be 1% of the player he is - he's incredible. He just isn't my taste... There are a lot of metal players like that and there were a lot of fusion players like that, and a few country pickers like that - technically amazing but they never really let it breathe. Which works for a lot of people, but it rarely if ever does for me...

-Ray

16. 11top

Ray, I get it. I’m that way about Al Dimeola. Crazy talent, but I can’t listen to him. IMO, Greg is nowhere near that extreme. I’m a big Dream Theater fan, but sometimes they go off on acrobatics which lose me as a listener (but I can watch them all night).

17. RaySachs

RaySachs New Member

Al would have been example A if I'd used examples... ;)

18. Hudman316

Hudman316 New Member

Replaced the stock pickguard on my 2018 horizon with a custom made tortoise guard by Mojo Axe on Reverb. Mojo Axe is located in Ohio. Dan does awesome work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

There are at least a couple of maple-fretboard Silver Skys up on Reverb (at MAP, of course). How have these not been snapped up?

I would have grabbed one except I have a pre-order in with a certain dealer. Which is obviously delayed while production is on hold, I guess.

20. strat63

strat63 New Member

I picture a lot of folks being very careful with new purchases right now with all the economic turmoil. It's an interesting time.

mookyshoots and Alnus Rubra like this.