The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Wait, who are we talking about here, Greg Koch or John Mayer?

Well the thing about Greg Koch is that he makes amazing funky manic guitar noises while there's obviously many (many!) other things going on in his head, body, and mouth. His playing is almost a side effect of all of what's going on, and it's amazing, effortless zen master-level playing.

Mayer's playing is really good (I'll never get there!) but it takes more of him to get it out there, if you follow me.

I took a Skype guitar lesson with Greg about a year ago. After about 3 minutes I was completely lost.*

*Ok, it was only 2 mins. :oops:

Please tell me he did at least one:

“Hum, digga, doh, booger”

??

If you need a point of reference, watch the last video on the previous page.

Greg Koch is one of the most amazing guitarists I've ever heard, but I can't listen to him for more than about a minute before my brain starts feeling about as frazzled and frenetic as his always sounds. Just total and complete overload. That's his natural state and good for him. It's not mine and I can only take very small doses of it. He's great for product demos like these because he can play snippets of every style ever in each pickup combination and setting and you can get a good feel for the instrument. And he's hilarious too, in that same frenetic crazy way. But any time I've tried to actually listen to an album or a YouTube of him in performance, I can't get through more than a minute or two before I have to put on some BB King or Peter Green or Miles - one of those people who place as much emphasis on what they DON'T play as what they do. He may be the greatest guitarist I've never been able to listen to.

Greg Koch is one of the most amazing guitarists I've ever heard, but I can't listen to him for more than about a minute before my brain starts feeling about as frazzled and frenetic as his always sounds. Just total and complete overload. That's his natural state and good for him. It's not mine and I can only take very small doses of it. He's great for product demos like these because he can play snippets of every style ever in each pickup combination and setting and you can get a good feel for the instrument. And he's hilarious too, in that same frenetic crazy way. But any time I've tried to actually listen to an album or a YouTube of him in performance, I can't get through more than a minute or two before I have to put on some BB King or Peter Green or Miles - one of those people who place as much emphasis on what they DON'T play as what they do. He may be the greatest guitarist I've never been able to listen to.

I understand your point, but when he stays within a song, he’s very “listenable” for me. Here’s a good example:

I understand your point, but when he stays within a song, he’s very “listenable” for me. Here’s a good example:

Yup, during the majority of that tune, when he's accompanying the song, he's fine. But he's not particularly great - he's doing what a lot of other sidemen would be doing there and doing it well. When he takes his lead break in the later portion of it, it's chock full of everything that makes him amazing and everything that makes him unlistenable to me for any length of time. The lead break here is short enough that I could get through it pretty easily, but this basically reinforces how I already feel about the guy. To be clear, I'd give up various underused organs and appendages to be 1% of the player he is - he's incredible. He just isn't my taste... There are a lot of metal players like that and there were a lot of fusion players like that, and a few country pickers like that - technically amazing but they never really let it breathe. Which works for a lot of people, but it rarely if ever does for me...

-Ray

Yup, during the majority of that tune, when he's accompanying the song, he's fine. But he's not particularly great - he's doing what a lot of other sidemen would be doing there and doing it well. When he takes his lead break in the later portion of it, it's chock full of everything that makes him amazing and everything that makes him unlistenable to me for any length of time. The lead break here is short enough that I could get through it pretty easily, but this basically reinforces how I already feel about the guy. To be clear, I'd give up various underused organs and appendages to be 1% of the player he is - he's incredible. He just isn't my taste... There are a lot of metal players like that and there were a lot of fusion players like that, and a few country pickers like that - technically amazing but they never really let it breathe. Which works for a lot of people, but it rarely if ever does for me...

-Ray

Ray, I get it. I’m that way about Al Dimeola. Crazy talent, but I can’t listen to him. IMO, Greg is nowhere near that extreme. I’m a big Dream Theater fan, but sometimes they go off on acrobatics which lose me as a listener (but I can watch them all night).

Ray, I get it. I’m that way about Al Dimeola. Crazy talent, but I can’t listen to him. IMO, Greg is nowhere near that extreme. I’m a big Dream Theater fan, but sometimes they go off on acrobatics which lose me as a listener (but I can watch them all night).
Al would have been example A if I'd used examples... ;)

Replaced the stock pickguard on my 2018 horizon with a custom made tortoise guard by Mojo Axe on Reverb. Mojo Axe is located in Ohio. Dan does awesome work.
bhBqskV.jpg

My5ckO0.jpg

There are at least a couple of maple-fretboard Silver Skys up on Reverb (at MAP, of course). How have these not been snapped up?

I would have grabbed one except I have a pre-order in with a certain dealer. Which is obviously delayed while production is on hold, I guess.

There are at least a couple of maple-fretboard Silver Skys up on Reverb (at MAP, of course). How have these not been snapped up?

I would have grabbed one except I have a pre-order in with a certain dealer. Which is obviously delayed while production is on hold, I guess.

I picture a lot of folks being very careful with new purchases right now with all the economic turmoil. It's an interesting time.

Back