The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Man, I keep waiting for Midnight Roses with Rosewood necks to start appearing in the wild.

That's the only guitar on my list right now. In the meantime, I have serious SS envy.
Gonna have to wait a while, with the factory closed. I expect everything has been delayed even more than just the shutdown period - restarting supply chains will be a PITA for everyone.

I posted this over in the Tech forum, but figured I'd also post here as my issue is actually related to Silver Sky.

Just bought a used 2018 SS in Horizon, and the truss rod needs adjusted. Guitar did not come with the factory supplied wrench, so I confirmed with PRS that the truss rod nut requires a 5/16" wrench. Ordered one online but found that the socket is too long to fit into the recess in the headstock, although the socket portion of the wrench doesn't look excessively long to my eye. Looks just like the other's I see online and on the PRS parts website (which is closed even if they did have them).

Can anybody confirm if the Silver Sky's require a special shorter truss rod wrench?

I'm gonna see if a guy at work can machine some of the socket length off, although I'm just guessing at the amount that needs to be removed (3/16", 1/16" from the rear and 1/8" from the front of the socket).

If someone has one and can measure the length of the socket portion and post it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Hi, newbie to the forum here... I’ve been a proud owner of a 30th anniversary Custom 24 since 2015. Last year I hooked up with a 594 DC Artist that is (as Paul would say) a magic guitar. I just got an update email to tell me my Nebula is delayed until 6/24. Bittersweet news... Sad for the delay, but elated for the confirmation it is still reserved. So please post pics, vids, news and any info you find out on your SS to hold us over until production resumes. Stay safe, distant, sanitized and rock-on!
John F

I would’ve put a humbucker in it before changing the trem.

I posted this over in the Tech forum, but figured I'd also post here as my issue is actually related to Silver Sky.

Just bought a used 2018 SS in Horizon, and the truss rod needs adjusted. Guitar did not come with the factory supplied wrench, so I confirmed with PRS that the truss rod nut requires a 5/16" wrench. Ordered one online but found that the socket is too long to fit into the recess in the headstock, although the socket portion of the wrench doesn't look excessively long to my eye. Looks just like the other's I see online and on the PRS parts website (which is closed even if they did have them).

Can anybody confirm if the Silver Sky's require a special shorter truss rod wrench?

I'm gonna see if a guy at work can machine some of the socket length off, although I'm just guessing at the amount that needs to be removed (3/16", 1/16" from the rear and 1/8" from the front of the socket).

If someone has one and can measure the length of the socket portion and post it, I would greatly appreciate it!

Mine is the same as the one that came with my Custom 22, 3/4 inch top to bottom.

Ok, appreciate you posting that SSS. I’ll try removing 0.125, the one I have is 0.880 long, end of pocket to top of truss rod nut 0.640. Can’t cut too much off or the wrench will only engage the domed top of the truss rod nut and not catch the flats.

Yikes! Kahler just posted this on their FB page.

91859704_2904202516325661_8178576552968060928_n.jpg

Ghastly. IMO while a great piece of engineering, that particular Kahler trem model alters the sound of the guitar in a way that just doesn't get it for me. And that sucker is huge. YMMV.

Last edited:
Hey Folks, first post here because I just became a proud Silver Sky owner. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart and I managed to pick up a Tungsten advertised as a '19 but turned out to be a Feb '20 at a frankly eye-wateringly marvelous price. I'm not sure I have much to add to this mega thread that hasn't already been said but for someone considering a SS and maybe coming here for opinion and research I'll simply add... this guitar is superb, you simply cannot go wrong.

I am fortunate enough to own some very nice guitars but two really speak to me (literally), my Custom Shop Clapton and... yep the Silver Sky. These are really the only two guitars I own that 'come alive' in my hands... the resonance and willingness to give life to a simple note is just remarkable, PRS nailed this guitar. Personally I put this down to great materials, attention to detail and a blocked/decked tremolo.

...and ya know... I haven't popped an e off the side of the fretboard ONCE on the PRS...

So, want a guitar that delivers like a CS Clapton at literally a fraction of the price? You just found it... welcome home!

PS, I'd post a picture... but I'm a 3 post virgin.

Lotusman :)

Last edited:
Hey Folks, first post here because I just became a proud Silver Sky owner. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart and I managed to pick up a Tungsten advertised as a '19 but turned out to be a Feb '20 at a frankly eye-wateringly marvelous price. I'm not sure I have much to add to this mega thread that hasn't already be said but for someone considering a SS and maybe coming here for opinion and research I'll simply add... this guitar is superb, you simply cannot go wrong.

I am fortunate enough to own some very nice guitars but two really speak to me (litwerally), my Custom Shop Clapton and... yep the Silver Sky. These are really the only two guitars I have own that 'come alive' in my hands... the resonance and willingness to give life to a simple note is just remarkable, PRS nailed this guitar. Personally I put this down to great materials, attention to detail and a blocked/decked tremolo.

...and ya know... I haven't popped an e off the side of the fretboard ONCE on the PRS...

So, want a guitar that delivers like a CS Clapton at literally a fraction of the price? You just found it... welcome home!

Awesome new-owner report! Congrats!

Hey Folks, first post here because I just became a proud Silver Sky owner. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart and I managed to pick up a Tungsten advertised as a '19 but turned out to be a Feb '20 at a frankly eye-wateringly marvelous price. I'm not sure I have much to add to this mega thread that hasn't already been said but for someone considering a SS and maybe coming here for opinion and research I'll simply add... this guitar is superb, you simply cannot go wrong.

I am fortunate enough to own some very nice guitars but two really speak to me (literally), my Custom Shop Clapton and... yep the Silver Sky. These are really the only two guitars I own that 'come alive' in my hands... the resonance and willingness to give life to a simple note is just remarkable, PRS nailed this guitar. Personally I put this down to great materials, attention to detail and a blocked/decked tremolo.

So it's a 2020 with rosewood board, right? So theoretically that's the one with the new "rounder, de-shouldered" neck. Which, if you had a previous version to compare it to, I'd ask you to compare. But, nope. That neck profile is the only fly in the ointment with my 2018 Tungsten model, and it's honestly a very small fly, really nothing more than a gnat or flea. I never think about it when I'm playing. But every now and then I pull out my Robert Cray backup strat and it's got a rounder, less shoulder type of neck and then I'm pretty aware of the difference. In any case, congratulations. Someday, after all of this craziness subsides and assuming I get through it OK, I'm gonna try one of those 2020 models and if it's different enough, I may side-grade...

But, hey, that's my (very very small, first world) problem. I'm thrilled for you. Congratulations! The Clapton is my favorite strat neck ever but I don't like the electronics they put in that thing and the Silver Sky is the best sounding strat I've ever played. We may have similar taste...

-Ray

So it's a 2020 with rosewood board, right? So theoretically that's the one with the new "rounder, de-shouldered" neck. Which, if you had a previous version to compare it to, I'd ask you to compare. But, nope. That neck profile is the only fly in the ointment with my 2018 Tungsten model, and it's honestly a very small fly, really nothing more than a gnat or flea. I never think about it when I'm playing. But every now and then I pull out my Robert Cray backup strat and it's got a rounder, less shoulder type of neck and then I'm pretty aware of the difference. In any case, congratulations. Someday, after all of this craziness subsides and assuming I get through it OK, I'm gonna try one of those 2020 models and if it's different enough, I may side-grade...

But, hey, that's my (very very small, first world) problem. I'm thrilled for you. Congratulations! The Clapton is my favorite strat neck ever but I don't like the electronics they put in that thing and the Silver Sky is the best sounding strat I've ever played. We may have similar taste...

-Ray
Ha, yep, sounds like we walk a similar path.

Yes it's the 2020 rosewood but with nothing previous to compare it to all I can say is "no complaints here", feels dandy. I too am one of those weird people that likes the Clapton V so I'm not sure I'm a reliable witness though... ;) The only thing that would make the SS neck better IMHO would be a true satin finish.

Yeah the Clapton is different and ultimately I think I prefer the PRS JM pickups for clean 'Stratiness', the noiseless part of the Clapton's is well... quiet, which is nice! Personally I get a kick out of the 25db mid-boost 'cos for my Orange set-up it just takes my clean into a LUUUUUUVERLY break-up and people go "whoaaa, what did you just do (expecting to see a pedal)"... funny. Still getting used to the SS on many fronts but it's SOOO nice to be able to actually use all the pickups and of course the thing has a pulse.

Ha, yep, sounds like we walk a similar path.

Yes it's the 2020 rosewood but with nothing previous to compare it to all I can say is "no complaints here", feels dandy. I too am one of those weird people that likes the Clapton V so I'm not sure I'm a reliable witness though... ;) The only thing that would make the SS neck better IMHO would be a true satin finish.

Yeah the Clapton is different and ultimately I think I prefer the PRS JM pickups for clean 'Stratiness', the noiseless part of the Clapton's is well... quiet, which is nice! Personally I get a kick out of the 25db mid-boost 'cos for my Orange set-up it just takes my clean into a LUUUUUUVERLY break-up and people go "whoaaa, what did you just do (expecting to see a pedal)"... funny. Still getting used to the SS on many fronts but it's SOOO nice to be able to actually use all the pickups and of course the thing has a pulse.

Impeccable timing. I recently developed SS GAS. I have a Clapton Strat that I love. For me it will be an either or situation. So may I ask, if you were making an either or choice, what would it be? Why? Thanks.

Impeccable timing. I recently developed SS GAS. I have a Clapton Strat that I love. For me it will be an either or situation. So may I ask, if you were making an either or choice, what would it be? Why? Thanks.
I’ve had both, and now have neither. But, I have a Midnight Rose Silver Sky on order. If I ever bought another Strat, it would be a Clapton. I like the neck carve, and the added electronics. But, I prefer the SS overall. Just my take.

Mine is a Custom Shop Clapton... big$$$. Because of that I tend to baby it a little. Honestly, I bought my SS so I had an alternative that I felt a little more 'relaxed around town' with... and it really delivers on that... sounds AS GOOD (can easily be driven to recreate that boost) and I don't mind getting a bit more down and dirtyyy with it. Something of a relief to be honest. I LOVE my Clapton and there will still be times when I'll reach for it... but frankly if I only had the SS I would be one happy camper. I bought the Clapton originally because it was the only Strat that really felt 'right/alive' to me... the SS is the second one... ever! (well there was the drunken night with that red-headed SG years ago... ;))

PRS really figured out the recipe as far as I'm concerned. Mr Mayer knows what good feels like, of that there is no doubt.

It's a tough choice, for overall 'balanced' package I'd probably point to the SS. ...I still haven't dropped off the neck on the SS, the margin for error on my Clapton at least is slim!

Mine is a Custom Shop Clapton... big$$$. Because of that I tend to baby it a little. Honestly, I bought my SS so I had an alternative that I felt a little more 'relaxed around town' with... and it really delivers on that... sounds AS GOOD (can easily be driven to recreate that boost) and I don't mind getting a bit more down and dirtyyy with it. Something of a relief to be honest. I LOVE my Clapton and there will still be times when I'll reach for it... but frankly if I only had the SS I would be one happy camper. I bought the Clapton originally because it was the only Strat that really felt 'right/alive' to me... the SS is the second one... ever! (well there was the drunken night with that red-headed SG years ago... ;))

PRS really figured out the recipe as far as I'm concerned. Mr Mayer knows what good feels like, of that there is no doubt.

It's a tough choice, for overall 'balanced' package I'd probably point to the SS. ...I still haven't dropped off the neck on the SS, the margin for error on my Clapton at least is slim!

Thanks for the in depth response. Guess I’ll have to start fretting over color choices.

Back