The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Has anyone tried the new neck shape on the rosewood-board 2020 SS? Can you describe how it differs from the standard 635? Thanks!
I thought the neck shape was the same. Please tell me it is!
If I recall correctly, and I wouldn't bet on that, the RW fretboard is a little bit different from the new maple FB in terms of how it rolls off the edges, but the 2020 RW is no different from the previous years' editions.

If I recall correctly, and I wouldn't bet on that, the RW fretboard is a little bit different from the new maple FB in terms of how it rolls off the edges, but the 2020 RW is no different from the previous years' editions.

from the website: The maple fretboard option comes with the original 635JM neck shape, while the rosewood fretboard option has been subtly modified in the shoulders to feel more “rounded” in your hand.

from the website: The maple fretboard option comes with the original 635JM neck shape, while the rosewood fretboard option has been subtly modified in the shoulders to feel more “rounded” in your hand.
I like the original 635JM neck shape well enough. But, when I play my 2018 Silver Sky back to back with my Robert Cray strat, I'd say the Cray feels "rounder" - it has a bit less shoulder and feels a bit deeper and narrower, but that feel might just be illusory just based on the lesser shoulders. The Silver Sky feels a bit flatter and wider - I know it's NOT actually wider, but I perceive it that way. Thumb-overs don't come as easily to me on the SS neck and my hand just doesn't move quite as naturally on it. I overwhelmingly love the sound of the Silver Sky, but I still really prefer the way my Cray strat plays, the way the neck feels in my hand.

If the new neck rounds off those shoulders, I bet it would feel a lot like that Cray and I might really love the new one. I may try to find one locally to play at some point and, if I like it enough, might try to find a way to "upgrade" or "side-grade" to the newer neck. Maybe work a trade plus cash with someone who wants the old profile or just sell mine, bite the bullet and buy one of the 2020 models with the new neck. I got a good deal on my 2018 model, but if I could get the Cray neck feel with the sound of the Silver Sky, that would be just about perfect. A Clapton V neck feel would be even slightly better, but the Cray shape is really just a slightly different flavor of wonderful rather than less wonderful. The old Silver Sky profile IS a bit less wonderful to me. It's never a hinderance, but it's not a guitar I pick up and know it just feels perfect. It sounds perfect, but it only feels pretty damn good...

First world "problems"...

-Ray

Ah! So I basically had it backwards. Hmph. Sorry about that. :oops:

Ah! So I basically had it backwards. Hmph. Sorry about that. :oops:

nothing to be sorry about!

Curious to try one out, but I wish it was the maple that had the new shape so I could have a better excuse for having both. I also wish the SS had the satin neck finish of the CE24...

Quick note to say I’ve had to give up my order for the SS Nebula - is if you’re in Australia, Better Music might have one available if you’re quick...

Quick note to say I’ve had to give up my order for the SS Nebula - is if you’re in Australia, Better Music might have one available if you’re quick...
At the going asking prices from the scalpers, there are some who might try to grab it even if it means shipping to the US/Europe!

Hello everyone. I’ve had my silver sky for about 6 months now. I bought it used from a local shop. Just recently I started having an issue where the hum from the pickups will get super loud. It’s not the static problem, I’ve had that before too in the colder months. The hum will get super loud and then it will pick back up. It’s not the amp or the outlet. Anybody have any ideas. As far as I know the guitar has not been tampered with in anyway.

Hello everyone. I’ve had my silver sky for about 6 months now. I bought it used from a local shop. Just recently I started having an issue where the hum from the pickups will get super loud. It’s not the static problem, I’ve had that before too in the colder months. The hum will get super loud and then it will pick back up. It’s not the amp or the outlet. Anybody have any ideas. As far as I know the guitar has not been tampered with in anyway.

Just to be clear - is it changing when you move, or are you stationary? Only asking because when I move the guitar, the hum changes a bit in certain situations.

Hi guys, I'm back being almost the only one complaining about the frets lifespan... So, frets are showing their premature aging as we speak but this is not what I'm typing about.

I'm having issues about setting up the guitar conformable for my liking with no notes shocking when bending. Currently is as setup as I would want it to be but can't bend more than a half step above the 15th fret (I setup my guitars). Anyone with this issue or may share some tips to avoid it? When new, had no problems whatsoever about this.

Current setup:
Truss rud adjustment: minimal front bow (real close to be straight)

String height (with a capo on the first fret. measurements taken from the 12th fret):
2mm on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd
1.5mm on the 4th, 5th, 6th

I think we should make a thing about sharing our set ups... I'm sorry, it's the nerd in me :)

Last edited:
Back