The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

If I can add my thoughts, I think that it is more to do with the scale length of a strat (25.5 inches) in comparison to a 245 that has a 24.5 inch scale, the string tension on the latter is noticeably less, hence bending strings is far easier, even with the same gauge strings.

Factor in a string gauge of say 9-42 or even 8.5’s and you have a far more comfortable instrument to play if you have pain in your hands/wrists.

Ultimately, an SS will be far more rewarding with its PRS playability and those gorgeous pickups.

However don’t discount an HB loaded instrument with coil spilts or even a special SH.

I found this on the Thomann page for NAMM 2020

PRS John Mayer Silver Sky MN Tungsten, John Mayer Signature, e-guitar, alder body, maple neck, maple fretboard, "635JM" neck shape, small bird inlays, 648 mm, 7.25" radius, 1 21/32" nutwidth, bone nut material, 3x 635JM singlecoil pickups, 1x volume, 2x tone, 5-way switch, incl. gigbag, color: Tungsten

https://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_john_...ungs.htm?sid=bd29b51d5505bbbf2d7ac89eef5b9e41

Doing some research I learned that the vintage Fenders all had a 7.5 radius neck.
It wasn't until around 1972 that they changed to a 9.5 radius. Not sure the reason.
I'll have to try a SS and see how it fits my hand. My old McCarty is not an issue at all.

Doing some research I learned that the vintage Fenders all had a 7.5 radius neck.
It wasn't until around 1972 that they changed to a 9.5 radius. Not sure the reason.
I'll have to try a SS and see how it fits my hand. My old McCarty is not an issue at all.
If I remember correctly, a lot of those changes were at the recommendation of players, much like the swap from a 3 way to a 5 way on the Strat. Pros were asking for a flatter radius, so it ended up being made standard.

PRS John Mayer Silver Sky MN Tungsten, John Mayer Signature, e-guitar, alder body, maple neck, maple fretboard, "635JM" neck shape, small bird inlays, 648 mm, 7.25" radius, 1 21/32" nutwidth, bone nut material, 3x 635JM singlecoil pickups, 1x volume, 2x tone, 5-way switch, incl. gigbag, color: Tungsten

https://www.thomann.de/gb/prs_john_...ungs.htm?sid=bd29b51d5505bbbf2d7ac89eef5b9e41
Excuse me Mr. Cat... would you like out of that bag?:cool:

The fact is the older more curved radius and smaller vintage frets can be more difficult to do big bends on unless the action is high or you have a really good set up. I typically prefer the vintage radius but have no issue playing a flatter board. The SS with a maple 7.25" radius neck will be a must try for me.

The Silver Sky neck for me is like an old friend , my first electric was a 73 Strat with the big U shaped neck 7.5 radius ( all maple ) I am running 9.5- 44 strings on mine to match the 10s I have on my other PRS. Chording is just so easy on the curvy neck and I am not having any issues bending.
I am eagerly waiting on an all maple neck one to go with my pair of Skys

The fact is the older more curved radius and smaller vintage frets can be more difficult to do big bends on unless the action is high or you have a really good set up. I typically prefer the vintage radius but have no issue playing a flatter board. The SS with a maple 7.25" radius neck will be a must try for me.

This may be true in general, but PRS nailed it with the Silver Sky. @BeerBatteredPhish and I sat in the store with one when they were first released, and we tried like hell to fret out on bends. Didn't happen. I was getting two full steps, no problems. In the end, the smaller frets were something he didn't like. They didn't bother me, but then again, I'm easy. And I didn't mind the frets, either.

This may be true in general, but PRS nailed it with the Silver Sky. @BeerBatteredPhish and I sat in the store with one when they were first released, and we tried like hell to fret out on bends. Didn't happen. I was getting two full steps, no problems. In the end, the smaller frets were something he didn't like. They didn't bother me, but then again, I'm easy. And I didn't mind the frets, either.
Dat's da truth ! The radius was cool, the smaller frets got me. After hearing JM play live this summer, I’m still thinking of finding a used one some day...dat TONE!

Hi everybody. I write from Italy, after a while because a new "axe" has been added on Friday to my gear.
I've found a good deal in a local store with a Silver Sky (red Horizon finish) ex-demo.
It was at 1700 € in near mint conditions (actually in Italy we have it for 2400-2600 € depending on colors) so I take the opportunity trading it with my Variax JTM69 also .
Right now I have 3 PRS core models and for electric guitars PRS is the only brand in my gear.

PRS SAS NF 2010 25th anniversary Blue burst
PRS CU 24 2008 flamed 10 top amber
PRS SS 2018 Horizon red

I'm actually solving some small issues with guitar parts on gig bag (wrong tremolo arm) and trying to adjust some "intonation issues" following also some helpful indication found out here.

Then I will wrote a short review here for your opinions.

Happy like a kid with his new toy....

Am I the only one who does not like the look of the more traditional looking SS tremolo system?
Has anyone changed the Silver Sky tremolo with a normal PRS one?

I'm perhaps a too young owner of SS...I prefer std prs trem bridge.
Seems returning smoothly but I'm still testing, and headless screws to adjust saddles are "sharp" if you use palm muting...not big issues but better the traditional tremolo.

Hmm. I might have to jump on one of these, once they are officially announced, of course. ;)

If they really exist, of course. ;)

I mean, retailers never accidentally release info like this, do they? So it must be just a big typo, of course.

;)

Back