The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

My SS does the same thing. I feel like the issue stems from the guitar not being shielded completely. And this is something all SS are like.I'm still curious as to what everyone else here has to say too, but my understanding was that it was relatively normal and comes from the pickups picking up electrical interference from your body and then when you touch the guitar or any part of the signal chain your body itself is now grounded and no longer acting as amplifier for random signals. If it were a grounding issue I was under the impression that touching the guitar would cause noise to increase, not go away.

Hey all, new to the forum here. I just picked up a Silver Sky in Onyx. Great guitar for blues and rock. I did have one question, in the case with the guitar is what looks like a piece to a Floyd Rose bridge. Sort of like a fine tuner. Wondering if it was supposed to come with the guitar, and if so, what it’s for, or if the previous owner threw it in by accident. Here’s a pic. Thanks!
https://imgur.com/a/SIbbcDH

Hey all, new to the forum here. I just picked up a Silver Sky in Onyx. Great guitar for blues and rock. I did have one question, in the case with the guitar is what looks like a piece to a Floyd Rose bridge. Sort of like a fine tuner. Wondering if it was supposed to come with the guitar, and if so, what it’s for, or if the previous owner threw it in by accident. Here’s a pic. Thanks!
https://imgur.com/a/SIbbcDH
Looks like a replacement for the locking tuner screw.
Oh, and congrats and welcome!

My SS does the same thing. I feel like the issue stems from the guitar not being shielded completely. And this is something all SS are like.I'm still curious as to what everyone else here has to say too, but my understanding was that it was relatively normal and comes from the pickups picking up electrical interference from your body and then when you touch the guitar or any part of the signal chain your body itself is now grounded and no longer acting as amplifier for random signals. If it were a grounding issue I was under the impression that touching the guitar would cause noise to increase, not go away.

Does anyone else have an insight into this?

Does anyone else have an insight into this?
Mine has some hum. There are lots of variables, but most single coils have some amount of hum. I live in an older house too and that certainly doesn’t help. I use the EHX Hum Debugger. It helps a little, but the best solution is the ISP Decimator. You can certainly check your grounds and should the entire guitar, but I can almost guarantee you won’t see much of a difference. Just my experience though.

Mine has some hum. There are lots of variables, but most single coils have some amount of hum. I live in an older house too and that certainly doesn’t help. I use the EHX Hum Debugger. It helps a little, but the best solution is the ISP Decimator. You can certainly check your grounds and should the entire guitar, but I can almost guarantee you won’t see much of a difference. Just my experience though.
by hum I don’t mean 60 cycle hum which is there in positions 1,3, and 5. I’m solely talking about buzz that goes away only when the strings are touched or any metal part of the amp or any piece of metal in the signal chain is touched. Do you have this as well ?

by hum I don’t mean 60 cycle hum which is there in positions 1,3, and 5. I’m solely talking about buzz that goes away only when the strings are touched or any metal part of the amp or any piece of metal in the signal chain is touched. Do you have this as well ?
Yes I do.

This is from the Telecaster forum.

“The fact that the buzz goes away when you touch the strings indicates it is grounded properly. The issue is one of shielding. When you come in contact with a grounded part of your guitar your body provides a shielding effect against extraneous noise.“

Extra shielding will help a little, but it also depends on things such as the amount of gain, how clean your power source is, etc.

I’m going more PRS by the day. Just sold one of my Strats to help fund a used Horizon SS, and looking forward to it covering the occasional need to go F-style. I just dig the quality of my PRSs, and this is about the only form of reverse headstock that I’m likely to play. :p

Pics to follow... UPDATE, as promised:
pZnZiU1.jpg

Last edited:
I’m going more PRS by the day. Just sold one of my Strats to help fund a used Horizon SS, and looking forward to it covering the occasional need to go F-style. I just dig the quality of my PRSs, and this is about the only form of reverse headstock that I’m likely to play. :p

Pics to follow...
Atta boy. In with both feet!

Any Silver Sky NAMM 2020 rumors that anyone has come across? I know it's less than two weeks away, but I still want a sneak peak! :)

Ok I need to ask. I've had a Texas special strat for a long time. Maybe now that I'm older (73) it becomes a little more difficult to play. I'm wondering if the Silver sky with its 7.5 radius neck would be easier to play.

Back