The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

If I was interested in purchasing a Silver Sky, Horizon would be top of my preferred colour choice. Red guitars always take priority over other colours in the range. My 2nd choice would be Black so it looks like I will have to look for used or old stock if I ever do put a SS onto my wanted list...

Just get a blue one - it helps Sergio.

Has anyone had issues with buzzing if the strings are not touched or is this normal for single coil guitars

There are too many variables for someone on a forum to be able to answer. All single coil guitars will produce some amount of noise especially when the volume is up high, but the problem could be instrument cables, patch cables, pedals, the pedals' power supply, the amp itself, the power in the room or the building, and the many hundreds of overlapping electrical fields in the vicinity. I even had a situation once where two pedals interfered with each other and moving them farther apart fixed it.

This is different from a grounding issue, or the well-known issue with the material the Silver Sky pickguard is made of being extremely prone to static. It could be anything. All you can really do is swap things out until you figure out what it is.

Positions 2 and 4 cancel much of the noise, but not all of it.

As JM said in a SS video, the single coil noise is familiar to all guitarists and it's like the sound of someone breathing, you only notice it when there's nothing else to listen to.

If you check out some "guitar isolated" videos on Youtube you'll hear this too. I never noticed how much 60 cycle hum is on some of my favorite recordings until I started watching those.

just to clarify how do I know it isn’t a grounding issue ? I’m using brand new mogami cables as well as a strymon Zumba as the power source so everything is pretty clean. The guitar is less than two weeks as old too

I just bought a 2019 moc sand to replace my 2018 horizon, and the neck on the 2018 is much glossier than the 2019. The 2019 feels like a true satin finish. I thought maybe I was crazy but even my wife agrees. Did the finish on the necks change between 2018 and 2019?

I just bought a 2019 moc sand to replace my 2018 horizon, and the neck on the 2018 is much glossier than the 2019. The 2019 feels like a true satin finish. I thought maybe I was crazy but even my wife agrees. Did the finish on the necks change between 2018 and 2019?
That is very interesting!

Most probably the old one feels more glossy from playing...

I have an early one from March or April 2018 and I played a couple last month at a shop, (new blue and sand colors)
I didn't notice a difference.

Don't mean to get too personal, but have you been polishing it?

Nope.

But I am glad that people are curious and trying to figure it out, rather than ripping me for replacing it 100% for the color.
we don't rip people for replacing guitars here. Although as a group, we do seem to have a strong preference for just buying more without selling the ones you have. Unless they aren't PRS. But no, I'm with you. If I had bought one and next year they came out with a maple fingerboard version, I'd replace the old one with a new maple one.

Nope.

But I am glad that people are curious and trying to figure it out, rather than ripping me for replacing it 100% for the color.

You know NAMM is coming and could introduce more interesting colors once again...
Here's to a new one next year!!! :D;)

Also I have refinished guitars before just because I could not find the color I liked....

You know NAMM is coming and could introduce more interesting colors once again...
Here's to a new one next year!!! :D;)

Also I have refinished guitars before just because I could not find the color I liked....

As a lefty, that's a common MO for me. 2 of my guitars are "used store finds" that I disassembled, refinished, changed PUPS, and made the guitar I'd never find in the stores.

Well, yesterday, I hadn't planned to buy anything when I walked into my dealer of choice.

vzliRxD.jpg

Oops. :D

The other day a local Silver Sky owner brought his guitar in for some fine tuning. It's one of the first 500 with a case and plaque. That alone is cool, but the best part of the story is that he actually gigs with the guitar. It was taken care of, but you could tell it has seen a lot of real-world action. I understand the idea of collecting guitars, hell I have a nice collection myself. But it does my heart good to see people gigging with their PRS guitars.

Back