The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2018.

1. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I'm kind of a ham fisted hack, but I haven't noticed any wear yet. I should check again

2. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse New Member

I remember seeing a video or something where PRS said that the reason they don't use stainless frets is because PRS specs a fret wire that's significantly harder than what other manufacturers use, so there is really not much of a compromise.

I'm surprised to hear that any one person would be having an issue, or that anyone could put a huge amount of wear into any frets in the space of a year... of course you're going to notice some wear, but there aren't a lot of SRVs out there playing a single guitar so much that it needs refrets all the time.

Apart from this I would assume John is happy with the performance of the fret wire since he chose it

3. Allan JG

Allan JG New Member

Agree. Of course John has lots of guitars to chose from, don't think he plays 1 specifically for 1 year straight.

And that's exactly my point. I'm no SRVs so don't know why the wear is as noticeable.

#2723 Allan JG, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  4. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I would start with a phone call, or email, to Customer Service. They would likely want to see pictures. Top notch group of folks to take care of you.

5. Allan JG

Allan JG New Member

That might be the best option... can some of you add pics of your frets... would be good to see others ware if any vs mine.

comparison will end up my thoughts.

6. Michal Mikolaj Maslowski

I think you may be referring to this video. It's fairly old (2012) where Paul offers a clear explanation on why they utilize the hardest variant of the nickel wire available. Mind you, that is not the video where justification of choosing the nickel over the stainless steel wire is served. Having watched it, I conclude that Paul does not want the guitar neck to be re-fretted, possibly ever (save for unique & rarely occurring circumstances).

ScottR and bodia like this.
  7. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

I just noticed PRS removed the horizon and onyx colours on the website for the silver sky. I wonder if it's discontinued? Too bad if so...

8. Michal Mikolaj Maslowski

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday when I was reviewing the Silver Sky page; the URL has also changed from https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/silver_sky_2019 to https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/silver_sky_2020 which is also the default linked page from the Silver Sky logo on the main PRS page. However, the 2019 variant is still accessible if entered manually. You are correct, it appears that the 2020 edition lists neither the Onyx, nor the Horizon colours as available.

#2728 Michal Mikolaj Maslowski, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  9. Sevenandaquarter

Sevenandaquarter New Member

That's insane to me to not have a black SS. When you think John Mayer, you think black Strat.

10. John Mayer's Granddaddy

Some new colors inbound @[email protected] ? :eek:

Sevenandaquarter likes this.
  11. Michal Mikolaj Maslowski

I think you make a point, in the context where JM has come from i.e., Fender. But... the SS from its inception was introduced in its flagship Tungsten colour (still is advertised as such on its dedicated page). Both Paul & John have made pronouncements about taking the classic S-style design and then taking it into the new realm; perhaps, it simply implies the departure from what was the past, and moving on towards the future. And then, there's the actual model name. Just my 2c.

Sevenandaquarter likes this.
  12. Sevenandaquarter

Sevenandaquarter New Member

Really great points. The Tungsten has always been the definitive SS color. You mentioned the model name, but even look at the tuner buttons!

Of course, this is the fan in me talking. Paul and John run the show and they can do whatever they damn well please. It's their vision. Their names on the damn thing. Probably why we'll never see a sunburst SS or maybe even a maple neck one (personally, I'd love a Swamp Ash SS more than anything else - I've played a few examples of 60's Strats with an Ash body and rosewood board and I swear this is the best and most underrated combo). To me, the definitive 60's inspired bolt-ons with rosewood boards are black and olympic white as well (Frost is my second fave SS color).

I will say that, barring new colors being introduced or even these two being re-formulated, I do feel like the absence of Onyx and Horizon make the available SS color choices seem a bit samey:

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/silver_sky_2020

There are really no more deeper or darker colors anymore. Everything is either a lighter metallic or a beigey earth tone. Moc Sand, Tungsten, and Golden Mesa are all in the same wheelhouse.

P.S. I'd kill for Bonni Pink and Violet. Just die.

13. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I think it’s safe to say that JM has been seen playing a few different colours.

Keep ‘em guessing Shawn! ;)

ScottR likes this.
  14. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse New Member

I'm guessing they will rotate colors in different years the way most manufacturers do.

15. John Mayer's Granddaddy

biased comment, but it feels like the moc sand SS is becoming the new "mayer standard" (IE sunburst, black, etc)

16. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

Well, as Paul says, if you don't buy them, we stop making them. SO maybe black and red have run their course of market share? Anyone who wanted one has one?

I would prefer a black silver sky, but waiting for a maple fretboard. If that means selection of color changes, oh well. I can always get a black one from the used market.

17. John Mayer's Granddaddy

FWIW, I've seen a lot of black on reverb and eBay

18. smithbuddy760

smithbuddy760 New Member

Has anyone had issues with buzzing if the strings are not touched or is this normal for single coil guitars

#2738 smithbuddy760, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  19. smithbuddy760

smithbuddy760 New Member

The noise is mainly noticeable with the guitar volume up high. This is in position 4 as well in the video which I know is supposed to somewhat cancel out 60 cycle hum. I also live under power lines and I don’t know if this would have any effect as well. I’ve had no issues with the static or pick guard stuff people have mentioned on here and the guitar is brand new as well being made at the very end of September as per the included card

#2739 smithbuddy760, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  20. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse New Member

There are too many variables for someone on a forum to be able to answer. All single coil guitars will produce some amount of noise especially when the volume is up high, but the problem could be instrument cables, patch cables, pedals, the pedals' power supply, the amp itself, the power in the room or the building, and the many hundreds of overlapping electrical fields in the vicinity. I even had a situation once where two pedals interfered with each other and moving them farther apart fixed it.

This is different from a grounding issue, or the well-known issue with the material the Silver Sky pickguard is made of being extremely prone to static. It could be anything. All you can really do is swap things out until you figure out what it is.

Positions 2 and 4 cancel much of the noise, but not all of it.

As JM said in a SS video, the single coil noise is familiar to all guitarists and it's like the sound of someone breathing, you only notice it when there's nothing else to listen to.

If you check out some "guitar isolated" videos on Youtube you'll hear this too. I never noticed how much 60 cycle hum is on some of my favorite recordings until I started watching those.