The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Just got my SS yesterday. Got the Horizon. It's my first PRS... outstanding quality. I am absolutely in love with the sound of this guitar... looks and sound. I want to put 9s on the guitar and want to use the same exact PRS strings but 9s. Can someone tell me which exact PRS strings are used? Also, just out of curiosity, does PRS make their own strings or fires another company make them?

I want to put 9s on the guitar and want to use the same exact PRS strings but 9s. Can someone tell me which exact PRS strings are used? Also, just out of curiosity, does PRS make their own strings or fires another company make them?
PRS sells their own strings which are available in most gauges including some 1/2 sizes, and are carried by most net sellers and may even be available at GC, Sam Ash, etc. They're labeled as 'PRS', but are made under contract to their specs by a large manufacturer, D'Addario being the one most often cited.

Congrats on your guitar!

AaeCee thank you for your response. I had looked at the PRS strings and saw several different types. Do you know which type come on the SS? Thanks again.

AaeCee thank you for your response. I had looked at the PRS strings and saw several different types. Do you know which type come on the SS? Thanks again.
I didn't even know that they came in different varieties so I'm not sure which the SS came with, but for strat type guitars, I personally gravitate toward whichever ones have the highest nickel content for the warmest tone.

How much differently does the SS sound vs a Lone star strat? Any one know?

I believe the Fender Texas Special pickups are brighter and slightly higher output than the SIlver Sky pickups. The SS pickups are modeled after 1963-64 pickups. In my opinion, they sound warmer and more even than Texas Specials. That’s just my opinion. My best advice is for you to go try them in person and draw your own conclusions.

I believe the Fender Texas Special pickups are brighter and slightly higher output than the SIlver Sky pickups. The SS pickups are modeled after 1963-64 pickups. In my opinion, they sound warmer and more even than Texas Specials. That’s just my opinion. My best advice is for you to go try them in person and draw your own conclusions.
Last year when the SS was originally introduced, I skimmed over the fact and never payed much attention to the axe... until I heard Paul play the SS during one press events after the guitar had been announced. The tone of the pickups was what won me over. I will argue that the 635JMs are absolute mastery. They are both so musical, balanced, and sound so well in all positions (and that’s super-hard to attain); all of that takes place in a production model guitar. I’m amazed how well the SS sounds, and how versatile it can be.

Last edited:
I guess I would just have to play one to see how it compares. I've had my Lone Start strat for so long it's hard to imagine hearing anything different.

I guess I would just have to play one to see how it compares. I've had my Lone Start strat for so long it's hard to imagine hearing anything different.

I had an American Special Strat with Texas Specials when I bought my Silver Sky. I had no desire to play the Strat anymore. I sold it. The SS is better in every way - in my opinion.

Last edited:
I had an American Special Strat with Texas Specials when I bought my Silver Sky. I had no desire to play the Strat anymore. I sold it. The SS is better in every way - in my opinion.

I would agree with this, totally. I’ve had 10 or 12 starts over the years. The only one I ever cared for was a 89 Clapton. The SS is leaps and bounds better than any strat that I have owned.

No static issues whatsoever to report.

Current rig:

Silver Sky (Tungsten) > Polytune Mini > Thorpy The Dane > Greer Lightspeed > KTone The Duellist > Snouse BlackBox > Walrus Warhorne (currently out of the chain) > Strymon's Capistan/BlueSky > Boss RC3 Looper > Two Rock Studio Sig > Marshall 4*12 Cab Dave Mustaine Sig

Everything powered by Strymon Zuma.

Seriously the best tone I have ever had. No inner wishes about "wish this pedal/guitar/amp do or not X thing".

Only concern is that I'm cutting like knife into cheese across this frets. Don't know how this is not a recurrent complain (that I have heard of), either you guys play sooooo light or I grab the thing like there is no tomorrow.

Take a look into this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwkzOw5FpbA/?igshid=1rwj2wsqf712w

Allan :)

Last edited:
Only concern is that I'm cutting like knife into cheese across this frets. Don't know how this is not a recurrent complain (that I have heard of), either you guys play sooooo light or I grab the thing like there is no tomorrow.

What does "cutting like knife into cheese" mean?

What does "cutting like knife into cheese" mean?

Frets are getting worn out real quick across the fretboard. I don't think I'm doing anything that can generate this situation (using regular EB .10 slinkys), that why it's worrying. in my original post you can see a quick video of the current setup.

What I'm saying is that's hard to believe nobody has this issue. In mine is pretty evident.

Last edited:
Frets are getting worn out real quick across the fretboard. I don't think I'm doing anything that can generate this situation (using regular EB .10 slinkys), that why it's worrying. in my original post you can see a quick video of the current setup.

What I'm saying is that's hard to believe nobody has this issue. In mine is pretty evident.
Wow, that must definitely be an unpleasant surprise. I would not think that the gauge and the make of the strings have anything to do with the accelerated wear. Are you experiencing any noticeable symptoms, say like grooves in the frets, or fret buzzing?

Wow, that must definitely be an unpleasant surprise. I would not think that the gauge and the make of the strings have anything to do with the accelerated wear. Are you experiencing any noticeable symptoms, say like grooves in the frets, or fret buzzing?

Certainly grooves, no buzzing yet.

Just think the fret material is not as durable as PRS sell them to be.

Back