The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Hey all. I’ve noticed recently that my pickguard is a slightly warmer white than my pickups and knobs.

Is this normal or am I experiencing some yellowing? Not really sure what would have caused it - I live in a condo and don’t smoke (I do vape weed, but that hardly leaves any lingering vapour) and I’ve only had if for 4 months.

Anyone replace their Volume Pot on Solver Sky?
Everything else about the guitar is perfect for me but I need a super even taper from 0-10 on my volume

I find the taper to be normal and the same as my other PRS with a bit of the single coil " I sound best at 9 or below " going on.
Biggest thing for me is the output and going from a Humbucker PRS or 513 the SS needs a bit of a push volume wise for the moment I use the boost on my MK V to solve that.

Anyone replace their Volume Pot on Solver Sky?
Everything else about the guitar is perfect for me but I need a super even taper from 0-10 on my volume

Some pics from the Post-Gazette from the Pittsburgh show.

20190728smsJohnMayer01-1-1564408412.jpg

20190728smsJohnMayer06-3-1564408434.jpg

I've tried searching but haven't had any luck. Does anyone know the fret dimensions on the silver sky? I know they are vintage and I reached out to PRS customer support who also replied vintage frets, but I was curious about actual dimensions. I know vintage (or medium jumbo, etc...) can take on different meanings depending on supplier, etc...

Thanks!

I've tried searching but haven't had any luck. Does anyone know the fret dimensions on the silver sky? I know they are vintage and I reached out to PRS customer support who also replied vintage frets, but I was curious about actual dimensions. I know vintage (or medium jumbo, etc...) can take on different meanings depending on supplier, etc...

Thanks!
this was from an early forum post and said they were close to 6230's (0.08" x 0.037") and fender says 6230: The smallest fret wire found on older Fender necks (.078″ x .043″). those values are from warmoths and fender measurements so take it for what it with at grain of salt.
Here is the description from the forum.

Name: Silver Sky

Colors: Onyx, Tungsten, Horizon, Frost

Body: Alder (2 or 3 pieces)

Polyester base coat, Acrylic urethane top coat. (Standard for PRS)

Body shape inspired by DC3 and tradition

Scoop/finger carve: different color than rest of guitar body

Neck: Maple (scarf joint)

Nitrocellulose Finish

Fretboard: Indian Rosewood (Slab board)

Scale length: 25.5”

Nut: Bone, Width: 1 21/32”, width at body: 2 7/32”, Depth at nut: 53/64”

Radius: 7.25”

String Gauge: 10-46

Fret Wire: Tall/Narrow. Similar to Dunlop 6230

Neck shape: “JM” Carve. Between C & D. (Flat back - wide shoulders)

Inlays: Small Birds (synthetic)

Headstock: Upside down PRS, with kick-out on treble side for better access.

Pickups: PRS 635 JM proprietary Single Coil.

Output: 6.4k

Middle pickup reverse polarity for hum cancelling

All three pickups same specs

Switching: 5 Way (traditional-style)

Volume (Master), Tone (Neck/Middle), Tone (Bridge pickup)

Pots: 300k volume, 250K Tone

Bridge: All Steel. PRS Gen III-style plate, bent steel saddles

Gen III Knife Edge Screws

Same size screws as Gen III: height adjustment, intonation, trem arm screw.

Tuners: PRS Vintage-Style Locking w/ nickel cap screws

Pick Guard: White/Black/White

Truss Rod: PRS Dual action

Jack: Molded Zinc, Nickel plated.

I read through both of the current threads on the Silver Sky over the past few days. I call the other thread the naysayers and this thread the believers.

I feel after reading both I must confess that I was critical of John Mayer leaving Fender and considered the Silver Sky to be a Stratocaster knockoff. I viewed it as a money grab by PRS and Mayer.

I have been a huge Mayer fan since Continuum came out and I defended him countless times when confronted by the Mayer haters.

Over the next several months I listened to Mayer’s reasoning for leaving Fender and going to PRS. I emphasized with his reasoning and shifted my thinking from a negative bias to a curious position. My interest in the SS grew as I learned more about it through John’s IG videos and reviews on YouTube.

I finally decided to pull the trigger and order one - after months of cynicism and reconsideration. I own an American Strat, an EVH Wolfgang and two customized Ibanez RG550’s. I think the SS will make a nice addition. I went with Horizon because it’s different than the color of my other guitars.

I plan to keep it tuned in E. My Strat is in Eb. FedEx claims it will delivered Tuesday.

Thanks for adding me to the group.

I had NO interest in another SSS guitar , I just traded for a DC3 and played a really early Silver Sky and it was nice BUT then I played a second ,set the bridge to float on that one and played it some more had a GREAT jam and decided I need one got my first one decided I needed a second and I didn't need the DC3 anymore.
Regardless what folks "Feel" it is a GREAT guitar for me and slots really nicely along with my other PRS.
I've had LOTS of Strats , played nothing but Strats for 20+ years left all my Strats and Gibsons , Ibanez etc behind when I found PRS and the SS gives me everything in a SSS guitar I have ever wanted.

I read through both of the current threads on the Silver Sky over the past few days. I call the other thread the naysayers and this thread the believers.

I feel after reading both I must confess that I was critical of John Mayer leaving Fender and considered the Silver Sky to be a Stratocaster knockoff. I viewed it as a money grab by PRS and Mayer.

I have been a huge Mayer fan since Continuum came out and I defended him countless times when confronted by the Mayer haters.

Over the next several months I listened to Mayer’s reasoning for leaving Fender and going to PRS. I emphasized with his reasoning and shifted my thinking from a negative bias to a curious position. My interest in the SS grew as I learned more about it through John’s IG videos and reviews on YouTube.

I finally decided to pull the trigger and order one - after months of cynicism and reconsideration. I own an American Strat, an EVH Wolfgang and two customized Ibanez RG550’s. I think the SS will make a nice addition. I went with Horizon because it’s different than the color of my other guitars.

I plan to keep it tuned in E. My Strat is in Eb. FedEx claims it will delivered Tuesday.

Thanks for adding me to the group.

Hi all, I just made an account for this, so bare with me as I have had trouble getting the info anywhere.

I pre-ordered the Golden Mesa Silver Sky through my local Guitar Center on April 20, with an estimated ship date of July 8. That time has come and passed, no big deal. I reached out to PRS directly via the public contact info and they said because it was ordered through Guitar Center they cannot give me any info. My local guitar center rep says he reached out to PRS and they are just backordered and running late on orders.

Being the PRS forum, anyone here have any new info or updates on when the Silver Sky Golden Mesas may ship out?

Back