The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

ahaha sorry mate... thanks for being the first thing on google silver sky guts!
I kinda wish I got a black one...

im actually considering refinishing it? if there is interesting grain maybe sunburst? otherwise, fiesta red is always a favorite,.. especially with a tinted neck.
No need to be sorry! I put the pics up on this forum, and we all know Google will find anything here.:)

I was reading in another thread about how (paraphrasing) "Paul no longer runs the company, because the accountants have taken over". I got a good laugh from the post, so cheers for that! Here is an example of how involved Paul is and what a stickler he is for delivering a quality product.

A customer contacted me because the volume pot on his Silver Sky was acting up. Having the guitar come back to the factory was impractical for this particular customer, so he agreed to receive a replacement pot and he'd have it installed locally. I went into our electronics room and said, "I need a replacement volume pot for a Silver Sky, where can I find one?" My coworker in the electronics area informed me that they didn't have any SS volume pots "ready to go", so she made one for me. You see, each volume pot is measured for an exact reading. The pots are 500K, but in reality they can vary from 470K - 520K. For each Silver Sky, a reading is taken on each pot and then we solder into place a uniquely valued capacitor to bring the pot to the 300K. Let me repeat that. Each Silver Sky volume pot is individually measured and then a specific value capacitor is added to make the pot read 300K. Do you know any other major guitar manufacturer that goes to those lengths to ensure consistency of quality? But Paul doesn't run the company anymore, so I'm pretty sure this was the accountant's idea. :oops::oops::oops:

I was reading in another thread about how (paraphrasing) "Paul no longer runs the company, because the accountants have taken over". I got a good laugh from the post, so cheers for that! Here is an example of how involved Paul is and what a stickler he is for delivering a quality product.

A customer contacted me because the volume pot on his Silver Sky was acting up. Having the guitar come back to the factory was impractical for this particular customer, so he agreed to receive a replacement pot and he'd have it installed locally. I went into our electronics room and said, "I need a replacement volume pot for a Silver Sky, where can I find one?" My coworker in the electronics area informed me that they didn't have any SS volume pots "ready to go", so she made one for me. You see, each volume pot is measured for an exact reading. The pots are 500K, but in reality they can vary from 470K - 520K. For each Silver Sky, a reading is taken on each pot and then we solder into place a uniquely valued capacitor to bring the pot to the 300K. Let me repeat that. Each Silver Sky volume pot is individually measured and then a specific value capacitor is added to make the pot read 300K. Do you know any other major guitar manufacturer that goes to those lengths to ensure consistency of quality? But Paul doesn't run the company anymore, so I'm pretty sure this was the accountant's idea. :oops::oops::oops:
Well- referring to the cited post, not yours- humans like confirmation bias. For some, if they can’t find a way to confirm, they just make sh@t up

interesting...
I was told the original pots in the Silver Sky were 300k not 500k and brought down just to under 300k with a resistor by Sean Littleton from PRS customer service. I've seen 2.7M and 3.3M resistors in two different silver Skys which would confirm this.
did this change? I mean it would make sense... why would you keep 300k pots around if you could easily bring it down to 300k with a resistor?

5BnyyZU.png

No volume pots “ready to go”?!

Come on Shawn, you can’t let the accountants run the company like that!;)

Awesome.:)

interesting...
I was told the original pots in the Silver Sky were 300k not 500k and brought down just to under 300k with a resistor by Sean Littleton from PRS customer service. I've seen 2.7M and 3.3M resistors in two different silver Skys which would confirm this.
did this change? I mean it would make sense... why would you keep 300k pots around if you could easily bring it down to 300k with a resistor?

5BnyyZU.png
Sean is part of my team. Maybe he wasn't being clear in his reply?

Last edited:

Love it!

I've joined the Silver Sky family, My wife bought me this stunning Dodgem Blue SS Sat at the Philly Guitar Show, I have a friends SS at my house he left with me to setup and check out and I was so impressed I had to get my own and the wife loved the color so....

a quick shot
IMG-6569.jpg

I've joined the Silver Sky family, My wife bought me this stunning Dodgem Blue SS Sat at the Philly Guitar Show, I have a friends SS at my house he left with me to setup and check out and I was so impressed I had to get my own and the wife loved the color so....

a quick shot
IMG-6569.jpg
Welcome to the SS club! That is gorgeous. Not surprised at all that you had to have one after getting your mitts on one to try!
Congrats!

Welcome to the SS club! That is gorgeous. Not surprised at all that you had to have one after getting your mitts on one to try!
Congrats!
Congrats!

True, I’ll admit I’m not the biggest single coil guy but damn there are some just killer tones in the pickups.
Oh and check out the Nice curly flame in the neck
3-F140368-482-C-4-A16-894-B-B0-EEAF948-E91.jpg

89-E3-F14-E-F459-4-C35-9-A47-B5-DA4-AB34-BBC.jpg

a quick shot
IMG-6569.jpg
Congrats, this is a beautiful color but it looks more green than blue in the picture, so how would you describe it in person?

Congrats, this is a beautiful color but it looks more green than blue in the picture, so how would you describe it in person?

I took it in direct sunlight It is definitely blue but to me it seems more on the teal blue side so that where the green is coming from.

a quick shot
IMG-6569.jpg

Awesome! Great wife, too!

Hi, new member here.

I've been playing a PRS Custom 24 for many years and love it. A couple of months ago I bought a Silver Sky and really love the tone and feel but this morning the cap on the pickup switch broke in half. I've never had this happen on any guitar and I've been playing for over 40 years. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if there's any way to get a replacement.

Thanks

Back