The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying an SS in the next few weeks. Ideally want to see dodgem blue in person, as I haven't seen any real photos/videos of it apart from promo material, but may buy white instead.

Are the 2018 models still being produced? Or has production stopped in favour of the new models? I wonder because the store I'm looking to buy from only has 1 more white in stock, and I'm worried I may be SOL if I don't grab it!!
All 8 colours are still being produced it would seem...

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/bolton/silver_sky_2019

That blue is eventually going to get me. I can feel it. Maybe a purple one could save me.

If I do get a second one, I want to have the trem set up to float. I watched Sketchy's video - I'm a little iffy on the shims, but I think the rest of the stuff is doable for me. But if somebody else does it, I won't have to! I will work my butt off not to do any work!

You can set the bridge to float ( a little ) without shimming the neck, if all you want is a waggle I just loosened the trem springs till the bridge came off the body.
I have also shimmed the neck on another easy job, makes the trem MUCH easier to use as the ones I have adjusted had the trem cranked down pretty tight so even just dropping was a good solid push, now works with a much lighter touch and I did not notice and change in tone.

This is a crummy picture, but wow, the color is so cool in real life!

green.jpg

I took my Silver Sky in to the studio the other day and man was it cool. I used it to add a layer to one of my other PRSi and it did the job perfect. Every time I pick it up I'm really impressed with how great it plays and feels. I was late to the party on picking one up, but I'm happy I did!

It's such a great guitar. I've played it in store multiple times and love it. My problem is, I have gone through literally 5 or 6 different strats in the last couple years, getting rid of all of them. I have no confidence that I know what I'm doing when I buy these types of guitars.

I'm used to a pattern thin neck, even a pattern or PR neck is fine.

It's such a great guitar. I've played it in store multiple times and love it. My problem is, I have gone through literally 5 or 6 different strats in the last couple years, getting rid of all of them. I have no confidence that I know what I'm doing when I buy these types of guitars.

I'm used to a pattern thin neck, even a pattern or PR neck is fine.
My rule for buying strats is "you know, when you know". I've played a massive amount of strats...some good, some terrible, and only a select few that screamed that they needed to be bought. Those are the ones that I tend to gravitate to with strats. The problem is coming across those. I've played 2 Silver Skys and the first one screamed at me to buy it, but I wasn't in the market. Then I played the second one and it screamed at me to buy it and I WAS in the market. Picked it up, never looked back.

My rule for buying strats is "you know, when you know". I've played a massive amount of strats...some good, some terrible, and only a select few that screamed that they needed to be bought. Those are the ones that I tend to gravitate to with strats. The problem is coming across those. I've played 2 Silver Skys and the first one screamed at me to buy it, but I wasn't in the market. Then I played the second one and it screamed at me to buy it and I WAS in the market. Picked it up, never looked back.
That is one of my fav things about PRS. The consistency means that if I like a guitar, it's pretty much guaranteed that I can buy that model from anywhere, and it'll be great.

All I know is I like the Silver Sky but damn if those frets aren’t super low - my brain keeps thinking no SS frets would keep me from buying the Silver Sky. I don’t want to do a refret in 3 years

Shouldn't be a problem. PRS uses very hard fret wire. Hardest you can get outside of SS, I believe.

Indeed. Just gotta keep playing some. I've gone through a 56 reissue, a 62 reissue, 2 other custom shops, and a suhr....great guitars but couldn't fit me. I am gonna keep trying the SS and we'll see what happens.

I have a Silver Sky on my short list, but every time I have the money another one from my list becomes available and those are pretty specific guitars so I have to get those first. One day.

I tried a SS yesterday, and the thing that surprised me the most was exactly what John talked about in the video, how "buttery" the strings felt. I could hardly believe I was playing a 25.5" scale guitar, because the strings would bend so easily, it really was like putty in the hands (in a very good way). It made for a very visceral experience when it came to "sweetening" notes with a little bend, rather than a binary note progression. I also definitely noted the lack of those ultra-high ice pick frequencies. When it comes to that sound, they really nailed it.

I also noticed the rosewood fretboard was much, much thinner than any other guitar I've ever played (at least that I've paid attention to) it almost looked like the tangs for the fretwire would go all the way through the board, although it probably is thinner on the sides due to the low radius. And, yeah, those frets are pretty low. TBH, I liked the SS, but didn't LOVE it. They still have that dang Frost Blue S2 Studio at the shop, and when I compared them, the S2 just felt and sounded like me. Don't get me wrong, I thought the SS was wonderfully executed! When it comes to what they were trying to make it, they 100% nailed it. It's a personal thing - I just like big frets. No knocks on the guitar by any means! Obviously there's at least one guy who likes those small frets, and I'm not in a position to critique him!

Played till my hands hurt last night and then some , made some small adjustments ( lowered the pickups a half turn 1/64th maybe , after I checked there height against PRS Spec )
need to take the plastic off the pickguard ;)
Dam this is a nice guitar between the SS and my SSH !!!! :) WOW

Played till my hands hurt last night and then some , made some small adjustments ( lowered the pickups a half turn 1/64th maybe , after I checked there height against PRS Spec )
need to take the plastic off the pickguard ;)
Dam this is a nice guitar between the SS and my SSH !!!! :) WOW
Did I miss where you compared the SS with DC-3?

Back