The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Thanks everyone for 594/SS comparisons! My first PRS was (is) a Custom 22 with a wide thin neck. Played it almost exclusively for 10 years. When I got the 594 I had wrist pain for a few days adjusting to the neck shape. Now after playing the 594 for a while the same happens when I play the CU22. I didn’t notice it when I played the SS so that was encouraging! I’ve been watching Reverb for a deal but I’m also waiting for the new SS colors to become available. One way or another I’m sure a SS is in my future!

My 2 cents.

Not really a PRS fan overall BUT, as soon as I saw the SS announced I just had to have it, simple. After 9 months of wait I finally received the call, it was ready to pick up! I have a Fender American Strat that has been my #1 for the last 3 years so, I couldn’t let her go, swapping between both for at least 3 weeks. Since then, 4 weeks have passed and I’ve being using the SS more, it is true the “bass on treble and treble on bass”… couple of thoughts with it:
  • Notes from fret 14 and up sound way to thin, a bit more than usual.
  • Frets (specially under the G string) starting to wear out. Didn’t expect this based on Paul’s say “our frets are in so users don’t need to re-fret” and I mean, been using the thing for the last 2 month and a half. Currently using Ernie Ball's 10-46.
  • Numbers from the volume knob are starting to fade, nothing major but still, lack of expertise in this regard (vs fender's number indentations). BTW, loving the knobs, first felt the "cheapness" on them, now love how quick and light they are.
Have you guys experience any of this?

Has anyone heard or read anything on the inspirations behind the new colors? I think it’d be fascinating to know what they are based on and such.

Not at all. On point 1, actually quite the opposite experience. I have an American pro with custom shop 69s and an original 50s- both guitars I like a lot. However the silver sky has a consistency in timbre, in the upper registers (particularly on G,B,E), that both strats struggle with.
Perhaps play with the pickup hight (?).
My 2 cents.

Not really a PRS fan overall BUT, as soon as I saw the SS announced I just had to have it, simple. After 9 months of wait I finally received the call, it was ready to pick up! I have a Fender American Strat that has been my #1 for the last 3 years so, I couldn’t let her go, swapping between both for at least 3 weeks. Since then, 4 weeks have passed and I’ve being using the SS more, it is true the “bass on treble and treble on bass”… couple of thoughts with it:
  • Notes from fret 14 and up sound way to thin, a bit more than usual.
  • Frets (specially under the G string) starting to wear out. Didn’t expect this based on Paul’s say “our frets are in so users don’t need to re-fret” and I mean, been using the thing for the last 2 month and a half. Currently using Ernie Ball's 10-46.
  • Numbers from the volume knob are starting to fade, nothing major but still, lack of expertise in this regard (vs fender's number indentations). BTW, loving the knobs, first felt the "cheapness" on them, now love how quick and light they are.
Have you guys experience any of this?

1549295918-50049900.jpg

:p

What's this??? A PLEDGE PIN on your uniform guitar strap!!!!?????

Yeah...I'm that guy...:p

No denying this dude can play...and apparently knows how to communicate what he wants in a guitar to the Man or maybe, Paul is just that good??;)...Again, they NAILED IT! kudos!:cool:

So here's a quick story.
I've wanted a silver sky since before they came out. Wanted the F signature, way too expensive at that point in my life. Talked about this one since its announcement. Sent my wife pictures from Instagram, dropped hints and finally 40th birthday, she surprised me with it.

She told me it was used but $400-$600 less than new, so that felt better that full price and I thought I'd eventually nick or dent it so what the heck?
She asked me to come into the living room to help her with something and when I got there, there was a hard shell case leaning against the wall.

A hard shell case with a plaque that said Silver Sky.

I asked her how the hell she got one this late, with a case?

She said they didn't tell her it had a case. Just came out with it and there it was. She actually told him she thought he brought the wrong one because she was expecting a gig bag. I gave her the whole back story with the case a few weeks ago.

So I'm in New Orleans, I believe the guitar came from OH. The serial number is 251501 i believe. The date on the tag is 3-23-18. Color is Tungsten.

That's three days after the actual release.

Were there still some made after all of the pre-orders that could get a case?
Does the serial number tell how early or what order it was made?
Since it says 501, doesn't that make it out of the first 500?

So glad to get this a year after and in a commemorative case. Just looking if anyone knows any more about the SN?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

PS.Ive been playing for 22 years. It is the best I've ever had.

Were there still some made after all of the pre-orders that could get a case?
Does the serial number tell how early or what order it was made?
Since it says 501, doesn't that make it out of the first 500?

So glad to get this a year after and in a commemorative case. Just looking if anyone knows any more about the SN?

1. Cases went to the first 500 pre-orders, but that does not mean they were the first 500 guitars built.
2. It gives you a general idea.
3. No. PRS have been counting the overall production sequence since 1985. It means that yours is the 251,501st guitar built under that numbering convention. (There are still tons of other guitars they've built using different SN methodology.)

Congrats, on the great scores (wife + guitar)!

1. Cases went to the first 500 pre-orders, but that does not mean they were the first 500 guitars built.
2. It gives you a general idea.
3. No. PRS have been counting the overall production sequence since 1985. It means that yours is the 251,501st guitar built under that numbering convention. (There are still tons of other guitars they've built using different SN methodology.)

Congrats, on the great scores (wife + guitar)!
^^^What garrett said^^^
I've got one as well with the case, SN XXX500 so I naturally thought it was the last one. Spoke to customer support who said the numbering system was shared with many other lines of guitar.
Great score, congrats!!!

Well the honeymoon phase is over! These are great. I haven’t bought a new PRS in 9 years but decided to give this a shot. I was looking for a Fender AVRI in Sherwood Green at the time just because I wanted something different. Decided to give one of these a spin but was unsure. I’ve had it for awhile now and I am pleased to say it’s the first out of about 15 “Strats” that I haven’t thought about selling. I have always liked the Fender body but the Gibson sound and PRS split the difference for me with their design. The internet is harsh and very judgemental when this guitar came out. So I got something different but the same quality that I’ve been used to since 96’. Glad I decided to give this a shot 95% of the time I’m just noodling this on the couch. Great guitar

Does anyone know where I can purchase just the PRS 635JM pickups? Thanks!
-Jason

At the moment, the best place to buy the PU's is your local PRS dealer...

They are very expensive for a Set but do come in a very attractive wooden package and a bag too - you even get all the electronics and a set of strings too - I believe they call it a Silver Sky or a guitar? something like that...

Other than that, you may have to look for some on the used market but that's the only option right now

Back