The Official "McCarty Singlecut" Love Thread!!

Glad to hear that. I want that vintage sound with a more modern finish I guess. Now I just have to get that last bit of courage and walk up to my dealer first thing tomorrow and get it done! I guess I may have sometime to commit to a color?? I'm scared! (HaHa)

Deep breath here! I think I am going to dive in on this PS SC McCarty Hammer of the Gods thingy!!!. I keep telling myself no and I cant help but come back to this thread. I am going to go with a quilt top and I was thinking about a Dragons Breath finish in Tiger Eye, McCarty Glow, or Cherryburst ( I think the tequila sunrise would be close to the cherryburst if it was done dragon breath style. I know this is a departure from the vintage look, but it will likely be my only private stock so I want to make it count. Would love some feedback?

It's going to be great no matter what it looks like!

I do think that one of the charms of this run is the vintage look -- it was the first thing that attracted me to this model.

But that's also purely cosmetic, and utterly irrelevant to any advice I'd give anyone else (unless the European flamed maple makes some kind of contribution to how the guitar sounds, at least in Paul's estimation, which then makes it a different story - I can't see that being the case).

Do what floats your boat. The result is sure to be a good one.

Last edited:
I hear ya Les. I really think I am going to go for it. I will inquire about European Quilted Maple while I am working it all out. The only changes is to the top, hybrid hardware, and color.

I hear ya Les. I really think I am going to go for it. I will inquire about European Quilted Maple while I am working it all out. The only changes is to the top, hybrid hardware, and color.

It'll be awesome, and it'll sound great, and it'll be your one-off. How can that not turn out to be cool?

New MSC Club Member, with a KILLER Dark Cherry Sunburst MSC!!

Received my #4950 McCarty Singlecut this past friday. I sincerely apologize. My photography skills are appalling. I just couldn't get a shot I really liked, but I still wanted to share my glee! I think it is because I just don't get good light into my guitar room in the afternoon, when I was trying to shoot.

The big brown truck showed up in the early evening on Friday, the driver with a bill for $470. I ordered this guitar from Europe. This was the customs fee. Ugh. There is no customs fee on a new, USA made product being returned to this country. I tried to call the UPS central offices with the driver in my house, but they were closed. I chose to pay the fee rather than have the guitar ride around in the truck for the next few days.

I subsequently spoke to UPS and explained my situation. Apparently, the guitar was entered / registered incorrectly at shipment. I will be receiving my money back in a few weeks.

Anyways, here are a couple of pictures that I tried to take, as well as a couple of the pro pictures from the dealer. The guitar is definitely darker than it appears in the pro pictures. It is almost 3d in real life, more so than my drab picture. I will try to take more in better lighting.

Kevin

DSCF0615.jpg

DSCF0616.jpg

prs_mccartysinglecut_49507-full.jpg

prs_mccartysinglecut_495010-full.jpg

Welcome to the club!

New MSC Club Member, with a KILLER Dark Cherry Sunburst MSC!!

Welcome to the club!

Wait, there's a club?

I'm in, provided:

1. The said club must be given a somewhat embarrassing name to be emblazoned on somewhat embarrassing T-shirts that no club member would ever wear.

2. The said club offers special truss rod covers that I will never use, but will buy just to make sure I don't miss out on what everyone else has.

3. Said club to provide champagne and exotic dancers at every meeting. It would really be more enjoyable for me if the said exotic dancers were, well, female. And good looking. And older than my daughters.

4. All members must be the self-appointed president of the said club.

These rules are necessary because, rules.

Last edited:
Pete, great to be here! I am concerned though. What is it they say, I'm not sure I want to be part of any club that would have me as a member?

Les, I believe the primary rule in the club charter (I forgive your naivete), is to post a picture of yourself in your club smoking jacket with paisley bouffant.

Kevin

Les, I believe the primary rule in the club charter (I forgive your naivete), is to post a picture of yourself in your club smoking jacket with paisley bouffant.

OK, but your use of the word primary gives me enough wiggle room to suggest that the secondary purpose of the club should be the champagne and exotic dancers.

And the reason I used the term, 'exotic dancers,' is that I didn't want to use the term, 'hookers,' for political reasons.

Copied from my NGD thread. I thought it appropriate to be here as well.

I've finally had some time to spend with my new guitar. I absolutely love it and I'm satisfied with every penny I spent.

I am certainly not a tone hound, but there is something I feel is very special about this guitar. It just sounds grand. When I strum a chord, I feel like I am playing a pipe organ in comparison to a piano. The bass notes are VERY deep and heavy. The treble notes are certainly not Strat-like, but are quite bright and in keeping with the character of the instrument. The sustain is amazing and exactly what I was looking for.

Again, I could not be happier, and thank you for leading me down this path!

Kevin

Copied from my NGD thread. I thought it appropriate to be here as well.

I've finally had some time to spend with my new guitar. I absolutely love it and I'm satisfied with every penny I spent.

I am certainly not a tone hound, but there is something I feel is very special about this guitar. It just sounds grand. When I strum a chord, I feel like I am playing a pipe organ in comparison to a piano. The bass notes are VERY deep and heavy. The treble notes are certainly not Strat-like, but are quite bright and in keeping with the character of the instrument. The sustain is amazing and exactly what I was looking for.

Again, I could not be happier, and thank you for leading me down this path!

Kevin

Kevin:

Thanks for posting that here!

I am glad to hear your feedback! I feel the exact same way about my two, there is something VERY special about this model!

Your description of "It just sounds grand. When I strum a chord, I feel like I am playing a pipe organ in comparison to a piano. The bass notes are VERY deep and heavy. The treble notes are certainly not Strat-like, but are quite bright and in keeping with the character of the instrument. The sustain is amazing and exactly what I was looking for" is terrific, I 100% agree!

What is amazing is how CONSISTENTLY great each of these are, we compared 3 back to back here with yankeebulldog's, all 3 were equally amazing, and all 3 shined as a notch above 4 other great Private Stock Doublecut and Singlecut 245 guitars present that day!

I just got in 2 incredible R9's, a Paul Kossoff VOS R9 and a Joe Bonamassa Skinnerburst VOS R9. They are terrific and I am glad I got them, but interestingly enough the MSC's are still getting more playing time. Both the R9's and the MSC's has similar great tone, but the MSC's stay in tune better, and I prefer the feel of the larger frets and the subtle differences in feel.

Best PRS model ever, for me!!

-Pete

there is something I feel is very special about this guitar. It just sounds grand. When I strum a chord, I feel like I am playing a pipe organ in comparison to a piano. The bass notes are VERY deep and heavy. The treble notes are certainly not Strat-like, but are quite bright and in keeping with the character of the instrument. The sustain is amazing and exactly what I was looking for.

Kevin, as Pete said in his post I think you've hit the nail on the head, based on my own MSC, that I semi-humorously call The Hammer of the Gods.

I just got in 2 incredible R9's, a Paul Kossoff VOS R9 and a Joe Bonamassa Skinnerburst VOS R9. They are terrific and I am glad I got them, but interestingly enough the MSC's are still getting more playing time

A good R9 is a wonderful thing to play, though I do think they have a little different vibe from the MSC model.

This is just my observation: The MSC feels slicker, and I think plays a bit faster (though this just may be because I've been a PRS player for many years).

I find that R9s sometimes bring more honk and funk - in a good way - and the MSC brings a bit more creaminess, also in a good way.

But of course, everything varies from guitar to guitar. Also I've played a lot of R9s, and lots of vintage Gibbys, but only my one MSC so I don't want to generalize too much.

One thing is for sure - with 2 of each, you certainly have some great choices!

Last edited:
A good R9 is a wonderful thing to play, though I do think they have a little different vibe from the MSC model.

This is just my observation: The MSC feels slicker, and I think plays a bit faster (though this just may be because I've been a PRS player for many years).

I find that R9s sometimes bring more honk and funk - in a good way - and the MSC brings a bit more creaminess, also in a good way.

But of course, everything varies from guitar to guitar. Also I've played a lot of R9s, and lots of vintage Gibbys, but only my one MSC so I don't want to generalize too much.

One thing is for sure - with 2 of each, you certainly have some great choices!

Agree with the statement in bold. Definitely more "Honk" with the R9's!

Agree with the statement in bold. Definitely more "Honk" with the R9's!

I think it's a matter of degree, emphasis, and flavor, really. Both models have plenty to recommend them.

For my needs, The Hammer is the most "me" electric guitar I've ever owned, in terms of tone and playability. I love the way it interacts with an amp, and the way it handles is off the chart. In fact, right now it's the only electric guitar I have in the studio!

I feel truly lucky to own it, and honestly am savoring the experience of playing it, as I still do with the maple PS Tonare Grand I got a year ago, that I still think is an incredible instrument in every way.

One other thing I like about it - you probably do, too - is that the pickups blended do really nice things that make the guitar unusually versatile (especially for a guitar of this style). I was surprised at how much I like the blends I can get that I think are unique to this guitar. Usually I'm not crazy about blending neck and bridge pickups.

Last edited:
You never know, I may sell this one after I get my one in the oven that I spec'ed myself.

Uh. Right. I hope we're talking guitars and not children.....;)

Quick question, Pete. (and anyone else who knows) Now does the neck thickness of your MSC PS compare with an R9. I've loved the idea of an R9, but I've been concerned about the neck thickness. Not sure I want to go much thicker than my MSC.

Thanks.
Kevin

Last edited:
Quick question, Pete. (and anyone else who knows) Now does the neck thickness of your MSC PS compare with an R9. I've loved the idea of an R9, but I've been concerned about the neck thickness. Not sure I want to go much thicker than my MSC.

Just from handling some R9 models, they seem to vary a bit depending on the particular run.

Not sure about the actual specs of each run, though, as I've never looked into it that deeply, so this is just going by feel.

Found this pic of Howard and his MSC, with Mick Ralphs of Bad Co!

imgresize.php

Pretty cool, similar finish to Mick's Les Paul, makes you do a double-take to figure out what Howard is playing.

Looks good on you, Howard!!

Back