The Official "McCarty Singlecut" Love Thread!!

My problem with The Hammer Of The Gods is twofold:

One, it's a much better guitar than I am a player.

Two, I probably won't be around to hear how great it is in 20 years. :eek:

This looks quite scrumptious... ;)

Yup!!

Cross-posting the NGD post here, scrumptious indeed!

McCarty Singlecut in McCarty Glow, arrived today, was flown across the Atlantic all the way from Max Guitar Store in the Netherlands!

It's a real beauty. The "Glow" is really great on this one. It really does sort of glow! :D

The finish looks even better that I expected! I like that it is not too dark.

20140828_124100.jpg

20140828_124113.jpg

20140828_124000.jpg

20140828_124008.jpg

20140828_124019.jpg

20140828_124028.jpg

20140828_124138.jpg

Haven't played it a ton yet, on first report it sounds pretty much like my other one (which means it sounds AMAZING!).

Also a NAD here with the Friedman SS100, so an exciting day here in the Windy City! ;)

That is one of the most beautiful colors I have ever seen on a guitar. Seriously awesome.

I'll hold a seance for you.

Hahaha!

"Hello, I'm calling to reach Les, he's probably in the Great PRS beyond."

"Sorry, you won't find him there. He's in Hell. Can I connect you to someone else?"

"What's he doing in Hell?"

"He's writing the music for cheesy commercials."

"But that's what he did when he was alive."

"Yes."

Last edited:
That is one of the most beautiful colors I have ever seen on a guitar. Seriously awesome.

Thanks Les, that is quite a complement!

I really like these PRS Private Stock "Glow" finishes. My Jade Glow was my first, and it was a great time being at the factory and having Paul Miles show me how they did the glow finishes, show several samples of different Glow finishes. I was a little nervous doing a green one, but it turned out killer, lifetime keeper. (Which is rare for me!) ;)

For this guitar, the McCarty Glow is really perfect for the vibe of this guitar, it gives it a real vintage look. I think most of us here attach to the 58 and 59 Sunburst Les Pauls our idols played from our youth. This guitar with the McCarty Glow finish really hits you from that perspective and brings a smile to your face!

If anyone here has never read the book "The Beauty of the Burst", I would highly recommend reading it. From Page 176 on there is some very detailed information on how and why the '58+ Sunburst Les Pauls faded the way that they did. Also there is some history and technical detail behind the formula of the guitar with the Mahogany Body, Maple "cap" and Mahogany neck, and the development and sound of the PAF pickups.

Reading that stuff really amazes me, and also I connect that to my very sincere appreciation for the history with PRSh working directly with Ted McCarty in the late 80's and early 90's, and how that shaped what awesome guitars PRS guitars have become.

Anyway, back to the original point, the PRS Private Stock "Glow" finishes are indeed awesome, and this one particularly is perfect for this McCarty Singlecut model!!

What is interesting about this finish is that the look of it changes A LOT based upon what angle you are viewing it from and how much light there is. I find that to be pretty cool, it gives it a real lively look. I think I need to find out how it reacts to stage lighting! :D

Good one, LOL!

I guess a do have a Blonde and a Brunette here with these two guitars, I hadn't noticed that!

I guess my Orange Glow Smokeburst one in the oven will be my "redhead'! :D
I'm liking the Brunette. Glad that exact guitar's finish is the basis for my PS build.

Last edited:
If anyone here has never read the book "The Beauty of the Burst", I would highly recommend reading it. From Page 176 on there is some very detailed information on how and why the '58+ Sunburst Les Pauls faded the way that they did. Also there is some history and technical detail behind the formula of the guitar with the Mahogany Body, Maple "cap" and Mahogany neck, and the development and sound of the PAF pickups.

Reading that stuff really amazes me, and also I connect that to my very sincere appreciation for the history with PRSh working directly with Ted McCarty in the late 80's and early 90's, and how that shaped what awesome guitars PRS guitars have become.

For me, this sounds like a must-read, and I truly appreciate your suggesting it!

Even though the guitar makers in Kalamazoo lived somewhat in the shadow of the car makers in Detroit in terms of public perception, Michiganders took real pride that Gibson guitars were made in our state, and were among the finest in the world. So that history is going to resonate with me - then, too, my first guitar was a Gibson.

When Paul Smith was a "young turk" he turned the guitar world on its ear, just as Ted McCarty had a generation earlier. The fact that the two of them exchanged ideas is something that makes the McCarty Singlecut that much more special for me, and resonates for some reason.

So yeah, I have the hots to read that book. I'll pick up a copy. I've been looking for a good read, as I just finished two history books on a completely different topic!

Incidentally, I think the McCarty Singlecut is a very clear demonstration of PRS' mastery of the art of guitar-making; a piece that takes the roots of the design, yet develops it in a unique-to-PRS way. Everyone should at least play one of these guitars if for no other reason than to find out how freaking great they are! ;)

I'd also forgotten how attractive Jayne Mansfield was...

Last edited:
Incoming!

Pete's newest acquisition finally pushed me over the edge to try out one of these! These are dealer pics of my incoming MSC PS. Let the waiting begin as it gets on the slow boat....

prs_mccartysinglecut_495010-full.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs_mccartysinglecut_49507-full.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Kevin

Pete's newest acquisition finally pushed me over the edge to try out one of these! These are dealer pics of my incoming MSC PS. Let the waiting begin as it gets on the slow boat....

prs_mccartysinglecut_495010-full.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs_mccartysinglecut_49507-full.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Kevin

WOW!!! Awesome.

I would have snagged that myself, had I seen it! ;)

Back