The Official "McCarty Singlecut" Love Thread!!

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
So I have had a very adventurous time exploring and experiencing all things PRS over the last 6 years (14 if you count my first PRS, my old Black Tremonti). What I settled into as my favorite PRS model was the DC 245 Ted McCarty. I dug the SC 245 Ted's as well (also SC 245's and SC 58's), but my true love has been the DC 245 since the first time I played one in 2009.

Well, a new model has hit the scene here that may challenge that, the "McCarty Singlecut" Private Stock model. What is different, versus an SC 245 or SC 58?

Here is what I can tell so far:
-Thicker body. Very noticeably thicker.
-Bone nut.
-5708 pickups wound especially for this model. They sound amazing!
-Electronics that bring some real magic to the volume and tone controls - Black Magic going on there.

Best LP style creamy lead tone on the neck that I have EVER experienced personally. Magical riffs and rhythms on the bridge pickup. Sparkly 5708 PAF magic with great touch sensitivity. Best tone, for me and my tastes, of any PRS I have owned. (The tally of which is 70+ these days, BTW!)

Looks and fit and finish to die for, with the Maple binding stained a vintagey yellow, and killer hand-selected woods and a stellar top from the Wood Library.

JD from Guitar Maverick emailed me about these in May, and I was like "yeah whatever". Then I saw Les's posts after I returned from a brief hiatus from the forum. Then I became very curious. I got back in touch with JD, and worked out a trade deal on my EPIC Orange Glow SC PS, to bring one of these home. That was a lot to give up, but it is turning out to be worth it! (Thanks, JD!)

Now two days into the Honeymoon, and I am just smitten with this guitar! It reminds me of when I first discovered the DC Ted in 2009.

This feels like an extension of Ted's for me, with the Santana Headstock, having experienced 20 or so Ted's in DC and SC shapes, with the Santana Headstock. To me, it looks more natural on both the SC and DC shape than the traditional PRS headstock, because I personally have been so focused on the DC and SC Ted's for the past 5 years. So basically this is just the BEST SC TED EVER!! :D

Here she is again:

20140816_115202.jpg

20140816_115213.jpg

20140816_115230.jpg

20140816_115242.jpg

Matching Flame Tops:

20140816_125036.jpg

Beefy equals major mojo and TONE, apparently!

MS%252017.jpeg

(BTW, I am getting tired of typing out "McCarty Singlecut" - so can we just agree this is an "MSC"?)

I predict there will be many new owners of this great guitar in the coming months (I know of one this week that I might have had something to do with ;) ), so please post your pics and thoughts on this great new model here on this thread!

P.S. Remember that PS I threw in the oven last week, for a DC 245 Trem? Well, the spec on that just got changed today!! :D

I can only echo what Pete says, and maybe fill in a few details (for more detailed gushing over this model, there are my Hammer of the Gods posts, one of which has links to a short blues clip that does give the listener a decent idea of what the guitar sounds like on that style of material).

First of all, I acknowledge that I have very little credibility when I say a guitar is phenomenal, since I don't seem to be able to hang onto mine for more than a few years. And I tend to wax poetic over any PRS. Hey, I get enthusiastic, what can I tell you.

So be it. I still think I know what I'm talking about, feel free to disagree. I'm blown away by this model. Seriously.

While it has the characteristics I love about an LP style guitar, there's some wonderful PRS-ness, as one would expect. I agree with Pete about the magic of the electronics as well. I think he and I hear this guitar the same way. It's hard to compare a new guitar to one that's aged for 55 years or so, and I'm not going to do that. What I hear is a wonderful richness of tone, with a perfect midrange emphasis that suits a lot of musical styles to a T.

The thing I love about the guitar is the powerful richness, and the very vocal quality of the midrange, the kind of effortless power and vocal quality that a really good saxophone has. It's capable of subtlety, it's capable of great power, and the balance between low end, midrange and treble is perfect.

Mine isn't designated a Private Stock, though it was built by the PS team, is identical in nearly every respect to the PS one, and cost the same. It's designated an Artist Relations guitar. I didn't get the doodads and certificates that PS guitars come with -- only the headstock veneer, tuner buttons and case are different from Pete's. My guitar was intended to go to endorsers and other recording artists to entice them, or get feedback, and who knows what else.

Nor do I know why this guitar and its sibling were offered for sale. I haven't seen any others, just the two Jack had. However, for me that's an interesting sidebar and not of much consequence. I suppose it makes the guitar kind of interesting to talk about, as if the tone wasn't enough...

Playability is like any Private Stock. There's nothing to complain about, and tons to be impressed about. Same with the little details in the build that you can feel but can't put into words very easily. The finish is nitro, and it's perfectly applied.

As with most really great instruments, it's the sum of the parts that matter. And this is a truly great instrument. I've never played any guitar that has spoken to me and suited my style quite like this one. And the tone hits that part of my brain that defines "the tone I hear in my head" in such a way as to cause all the pleasure centers to go tingly.

I jokingly named my guitar The Hammer Of The Gods before it arrived. It was really just to make my NGD post funny. I've tried to name guitars in the past, and they have never stuck.

When the guitar arrived, I realized that the The Hammer Of The Gods name was deadly accurate. It is just that. I call it The Hammer, and it will forever be that to me.

I recommend playing one if you have the chance.

Last edited:
Les:

Great post, thanks for that!

I can't believe how much in sync we are on this guitar. You typed "I've never played any guitar that has spoken to me and suited my style quite like this one. And the tone hits that part of my brain that defines "the tone I hear in my head" in such a way as to cause all the pleasure centers to go tingly."

Wow, those could have been words that I typed. This guitar is constantly producing the "tones I hear in my head", an when it happens, it is an amazing experience.

Thanks for your eloquent and detailed description of the nuances of the tone, I agree with your description, I just don't have all that in my vocabulary. ;)

And don't kid yourself, yours is every bit as "Private Stock" as mine. In fact, the earlier in the process and connected with NAMM in January 2014, PRSh was likely more involved with yours versus mine.

My fingers hurt tonight, have been playing with the amps and guitar settings and doing my best to recreate some great Zeppelin, Kossoff, Sabbath, Bonamassa, Alter Bridge and GNR/Slash tones (to the best of my abilities, anyway), having some great times...

I have a Friedman Steve Stevens 100W Head coming in this week, I am REALLY stoked to try this guitar through that amp, with my killer Paisley PRS 4x12 Cab!

-Pete

I saw a bunch of new Friedman heads just this past Sunday at a local shop, but didn't have a chance to play one as I had just stopped in to pick up up a pedal, and my wife didn't seem to be enjoying the guitar store as much as I was. ;)

I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm sure it will rock!

I've been doing a lot of blues, jazz, even alt. rock with the guitar. I love the pickups, and I even dig them blended in the middle position, which isn't something I've done in the past very much. But I'm getting all kinds of tones out of this thing.

I've played PS electrics in the past, but this is the first one I've had the opportunity to live with. It's pretty special.

If this is any indication of how great they can be, well, please sign me up for more! :top:

Last edited:
Oh wow! This guitar is stunning! I love my R8, but if I ever decide to get another vintage LP type, this is going to be the first on my list! Wow!

Ten bucks says this migrates to a Core model next year with slightly less 'bling' ...

Ten bucks says this migrates to a Core model next year with slightly less 'bling' ...

I agree there is a good chance this happens. 2015 MY Singlecut. Milk the PS guys like me for a year and then make it the production model. That is a good business play for PRS. I would be happy for everyone if this model was ultimately a production guitar and more so "in reach" for everyone, versus just a PS.

Sounds familiar... (Signature PS run of 100 guitars, and then 408 the next year.) ;)

Not that there is anything wrong with that. This guitar ROCKS! It would be killer as a production model.

I can't do guitars without Maple Neck Binding, so I'll stick with my Private Stock MSC's, thank you. :D

(When I say PS MSC's in plural, I mean this one plus a personally spec'ed one just recently put in the oven...)

I can't do guitars without Maple Neck Binding...
Having just gotten my PS today with maple binding I do have to admit that it's REALLY killer in person. While I still like the look of fret-board purfling, I do think maple binding is a much better look overall!

Out of curiosity:
a) What are the going weights of this edition?
b) Do we know if they are weight relieved at all?

Out of curiosity:
a) What are the going weights of this edition?
b) Do we know if they are weight relieved at all?

Mine's just shy of 9 pounds. They are not weight relieved, they're lightweight African ribbon mahogany.

Last edited:
I agree there is a good chance this happens. 2015 MY Singlecut. Milk the PS guys like me for a year and then make it the production model. That is a good business play for PRS. I would be happy for everyone if this model was ultimately a production guitar and more so "in reach" for everyone, versus just a PS.

Sounds familiar... (Signature PS run of 100 guitars, and then 408 the next year.) ;)

Not that there is anything wrong with that. This guitar ROCKS! It would be killer as a production model.

I can't do guitars without Maple Neck Binding, so I'll stick with my Private Stock MSC's, thank you. :D

(When I say PS MSC's in plural, I mean this one plus a personally spec'ed one just recently put in the oven...)

I assume if they did a production model it would have iveroid plastic binding. aside from the cosmetics, slightly different pickups and thicker body, it would almost be easier to update the SC245 with the thicker body. Not sure the Santana headstock vs. regular makes any difference except that I love the way it looks on an SC.

I assume if they did a production model it would have iveroid plastic binding. aside from the cosmetics, slightly different pickups and thicker body, it would almost be easier to update the SC245 with the thicker body. Not sure the Santana headstock vs. regular makes any difference except that I love the way it looks on an SC.

The headstock wouldn't make a difference for me, nor would a plastic binding, both look great on the current model.

There's something about the Singlecut I've always loved. The McCarty SC's so great that having a second one would appeal to me with or without the fancy trim.

Then again, the current model still appeals to me. It'd be nice to have both.

First thread, I somehow missed the thicker body as part of the equation. Great....not something I need GAS for right now!

What a HUGE inducing GAS thread
Thank Pete and Les and HUGE congrats for both of you
:congrats::congrats:

Mine's just shy of 9 pounds. They are not weight relieved, they're lightweight African ribbon mahogany.

Mine's just shy of 9 as well, 8 pounds, 13 ounces I think.

These are not weight relieved. PRS does a great job IMO of hand selecting the right pieces of African Ribboned Mahogany to optimize the weight of guitars, in the Wood Library for Private Stocks. Most of the guitars from this PRS run are similar in weight.

Funny thing is that is about the same weight as my Jade Glow DC 245! ;) But on that one Eric and I hand selected a fairly dense and heavy piece of Mahogany, because that particular Body blank was incredibly musical. We knew it was going to be on the heavy side for a DC, but we were optimizing for tone, not weight, with that selection.

My back thanks me for my 6 pound Obeche DC 245 Sig! :D (Which also sounds great.)

Oh no! no longer a 245 trem? I may have to remove my dibs... :(

Congrats on the new SC!

IMG_0920.JPG

Yes, no longer a DC 245 Trem, now a McCarty Singlecut.

They need to pick another Body for me, that one in the pic is not thick enough. ;)

I changed the headstock veneer to be Quilted Maple to stay true to the PS run, I like how it looks on mine.

Will be Orange Glow Smokeburst, like the one I just gave up for this MSC.

Can't wait!!

Back