The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Enjoy!! I hope it is fantastic! I'm seeing the show in 2 weeks at Red Rocks. I've heard AB only plays 5 or 6 songs. Too bad!!

Kevin

Me too! It would be great to hear the 594 in action if he is using it.

Also got the meet and greet with Alter Bridge. Can't wait!

Last edited:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIlUnBxBI_Z/

Alan/yankeebulldog sent it to me.

Awesome, enjoy the show!

That would be great to see some shots of of the 594. A quick Google Images search didn't pick up a 594, but he does seem to have a couple of Singlecuts I hadn't seen before, one in Cherry Burst and another in McCarty Burst, both with Moons, plus a Black Gold Stoptail Cu22...

It was a great show. Didn't see the 594. Looked like he was playing a McCarty reissue in Fire Red Burst for Come to Life and Farther Than the Sun. Mark rocked the baritone hybrid for Isolation.

Enjoy!! I hope it is fantastic! I'm seeing the show in 2 weeks at Red Rocks. I've heard AB only plays 5 or 6 songs. Too bad!!

Kevin

Yep unfortunately. It was six I believe. The whole show was great though. First time I've seen Breaking Benjamin in 10 yrs. breaks my heart to see Ben playing those ESP/LTD. his custom baritone hollowbody was sick.

Edit. It was 7 songs. Come to Life, Farther Than the Sun, Ties That Bind, Isolation, Metalingus, Addicted to Pain, and Rise Today. In that order.

Yep unfortunately. It was six I believe. The whole show was great though. First time I've seen Breaking Benjamin in 10 yrs. breaks my heart to see Ben playing those ESP/LTD. his custom baritone hollowbody was sick.

Edit. It was 7 songs. Come to Life, Farther Than the Sun, Ties That Bind, Isolation, Metalingus, Addicted to Pain, and Rise Today. In that order.
Thank you!! Yes. Very sad re. Ben. Seeing their 'Homecoming' concert and his whale blue PRS is what finally pushed me over the edge to decide to learn guitar, AND to play PRS.

Kevin

I'll welcome myself to club 594 today thanks to a productive lunch with MA Pete in order to complete a transaction. Thanks again Pete! It was a pleasure,

20160805_131924_zpsizihdvcs.jpg

Just found this excellent and thorough write-up on Music Radar: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/prs-mccarty-594-639655

I love that they did an A/B comparison with the regular McCarty model.

Yes! I was waiting for this A/B comparison since I tried the 594. They conclude the same I did when I came home and played my McCarty again: the 594 is the same but focused in vintage feelings and tone, not a different guitar.
But hey, my McCarty is the 58 model with 57/08s, maybe a newer one with 58/15s is more trebly and opinions may vary.

Bodia, killer top! Congrats!:eek:

I'll welcome myself to club 594 today thanks to a productive lunch with MA Pete in order to complete a transaction. Thanks again Pete! It was a pleasure,

20160805_131924_zpsizihdvcs.jpg

Congrats on that great guitar, Bodia!! ;)

Great to meet another Chicago Forum member!

In that original vid PRS had me on pins and needles throwing that beauty around close to those case latches. We all have them, and we know how they do...;-)

Yes! I was waiting for this A/B comparison since I tried the 594. They conclude the same I did when I came home and played my McCarty again: the 594 is the same but focused in vintage feelings and tone, not a different guitar.
But hey, my McCarty is the 58 model with 57/08s, maybe a newer one with 58/15s is more trebly and opinions may vary.

Bodia, killer top! Congrats!:eek:

Their review seems to reaffirm the "subtly very different" claim. Very much looking forward to trying one out. It might finally be the "Les Paul" I've been wanting for a couple decades now.

Anyone know if they are planning on releasing a singlecut with these updated specs or is the sc245 just too close already?

Anyone know if they are planning on releasing a singlecut with these updated specs or is the sc245 just too close already?
If they think it would sell...they'll make it, but there is zero chance (in my opinion) that they'll match the knob location / wiring to keep their SC a PRS configuration to keep "that other company" happy.

I know that I REALLY want to see a 594 SC...

Well what I would like to know, if they will release a "594T" and how much that will detract from the vintage aspect of it if any.

If they think it would sell...they'll make it, but there is zero chance (in my opinion) that they'll match the knob location / wiring to keep their SC a PRS configuration to keep "that other company" happy.

Good question! I have been wondering that as well.

Note that a core version of the Private Stock McCarty Singlecut with the Santana Headstock was never done, I thought that might make it to a Core model when that first came out, but it never did. Maybe the headstock was deemed to be pushing the envelope.

If they just took the SC 245 and gave it the 594 scale and the McCarty frets (the McCarty Singlecut "Flat Jumbo" frets are now the stock frets on the McCarty and McCarty 594), I would certainly try one. The 5815 LT's would be a nice bonus as well.

Well what I would like to know, if they will release a "594T" and how much that will detract from the vintage aspect of it if any.

I am not a trem sort of guy, but the Core and WL 594's are so great, that if I ever do more Private Stock 594's, I would do something different than the stock one. For instance my one in the oven is a Semi-Hollow with no F-Hole.

I have thought about doing a Trem one for another one, but I am not really a Trem guy, so probably not! I think I was just trying to come up with an excuse to spec another one. ;)

I have thought also about doing a Singlecut with the 594 scale, but I don't know if that will take a CNC upcharge to do (which is too ridiculously expensive to consider unless I win the lottery), and for some reason I really don't have GAS for one (unless I talk to goof1073 about it, then I start thinking about it!). :)

So I wanted to share a bit on the experience of having 3 of these. Actually I have 4, but "only" 3 of them at home, one is in my CA apartment.

As you guys have seen from me here in my 8 years of PRS obsession, when I get captivated by a model, like I did with the Ted's, I tend to buy several and then make some upgrades to the collection over time.

Having these three has been great over the past week. When I play one of them, each one has a certain "vibe" that is a combination of how it plays (the setup), how it looks and how that makes you feel, and how it sounds. Each are subtly different in that regard.

I had 9's on 2, and got the Vintage Sunburst Willcutt's Wood Library in with 10's, to compare them. I found the 9's too thin, I felt like I lost a little tone. The 10's were too thick for me. I have been using the NYXL strings, I really like the way they feel and sound. I discovered that they do make a .095-.044 set of those. (They are harder to find, and I can't seem to find them in a 3-pack.) So then I strung one with those, and had one each with 9's, 9'5's and 10's. 9.5's - perfect for me! 9.5's, too skinny. 10's - a little stiff in certain situations. Now I have converted two to 9.5's. See - one of many justifications for multiple guitars of the same model!! ;) Of course there is that age old excuse of leaving different ones in different tunings. I used to use that one on myself, but I don't really do that anymore.

Also to me there is that vibe that comes from the looks. I seem to look at my left hand a lot while playing, but not so much the right, so I see the view of looking down at the neck quite often, so the color of the finish of the back of the neck really influences the visual experience and vibe for me.

Look how different those (look and vibe) are in my 3!

IMG_0944_zpsqacg8of4.jpg

IMG_0947_zpsvfgkluna.jpg

IMG_0946_zpsfhtpdjrv.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsfpesbqgl.jpg

I think I need a Dark Cherry Sunburst one with a Cherry back and neck to round out the collection in that regard! ;)

The one I seem to emotionally bond with the most so far is this one, the Vintage Sunburst one:

IMG_0934_zpsbycwmqqz.jpg

The visual part of it really gets me, but it also plays great, and sounds amazing.

And lastly the other thing I think about with multiple examples of the same model are pickup variations. These 5815 LT's sound so great, that I have been very reluctant to mess with that magic so far. But now that I have 3 of these at home, I am going to check out slightly hotter pickups in one. I am going to start with Lollar Imperials, which are about 8.4K bridge and 7.6K neck, versus the 5815's which I believe are about 7.8K for both the bridge and the neck.

I like the Lollar Imperials a lot in my b3 SL's, so that also gives me (and my local Chicago group) a chance to A/B the SL (a great guitar in its own right) with the 594 with the same pickup model.

Maybe later I will try something even hotter, like the Lollar Imperial High Wind (9.4K bridge and 8.4K neck).

I would love to try 5815's and 5909's in there, but wait, PRS doesn't sell those pickups separate from a guitar (not covered 5909's). Oh well, I guess I will just have to try another brand of pickups if I want to try something a little hotter! ;)

Since the two Willcutt's Wood Library ones have a vintage vibe, I will put the Lollar's in the Green Metallic, and keep the vintage looking ones with the LT's...

Back