The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

I should add that the above context also should include the fact that I am without a band at this time, so I am not playing out right now. My band of 6 years faded away last year as it was brought together as a company band, and when I left the company only one of 5 of us was still there, and without working at the company I don't have a reason to be in Ottawa, Ontario on a regular basis to join in.

That being said, they are pulling a gig together for later this year up in Canada that they have invited me to join in for. I do plan to join in for the fun, but wait - 2 of these 3 594's say "Custom Built for USA only". I guess that makes the selection pretty easy, Green Metallic it is! That's okay, that one has pretty killer stage presence anyway! ;)

IMG_0922_zpsh0gdrac3.jpg

I have thought also about doing a Singlecut with the 594 scale, but I don't know if that will take a CNC upcharge to do (which is too ridiculously expensive to consider unless I win the lottery), and for some reason I really don't have GAS for one (unless I talk to goof1073 about it, then I start thinking about it!). :)
LOL...glad I could help; "returning the favor" of a GAS attack is fun!!

While I'm definitely further along the "I Want" process with a SC 594, I'm with you Pete...the CNC Upcharge is probably going to be a deal breaker. However, I might have someone asking just to see and I'm also confident that someone else will be the first and take that hit for the rest of us.

Well, Pete, I like all four that you have. Great choices, and it's nice to have slight variations on what you like.

So I wanted to share a bit on the experience of having 3 of these. Actually I have 4, but "only" 3 of them at home, one is in my CA apartment.

As you guys have seen from me here in my 8 years of PRS obsession, when I get captivated by a model, like I did with the Ted's, I tend to buy several and then make some upgrades to the collection over time.

Having these three has been great over the past week. When I play one of them, each one has a certain "vibe" that is a combination of how it plays (the setup), how it looks and how that makes you feel, and how it sounds. Each are subtly different in that regard.

I had 9's on 2, and got the Vintage Sunburst Willcutt's Wood Library in with 10's, to compare them. I found the 9's too thin, I felt like I lost a little tone. The 10's were too thick for me. I have been using the NYXL strings, I really like the way they feel and sound. I discovered that they do make a .095-.044 set of those. (They are harder to find, and I can't seem to find them in a 3-pack.) So then I strung one with those, and had one each with 9's, 9'5's and 10's. 9.5's - perfect for me! 9.5's, too skinny. 10's - a little stiff in certain situations. Now I have converted two to 9.5's. See - one of many justifications for multiple guitars of the same model!! ;) Of course there is that age old excuse of leaving different ones in different tunings. I used to use that one on myself, but I don't really do that anymore.

Also to me there is that vibe that comes from the looks. I seem to look at my left hand a lot while playing, but not so much the right, so I see the view of looking down at the neck quite often, so the color of the finish of the back of the neck really influences the visual experience and vibe for me.

Look how different those (look and vibe) are in my 3!

IMG_0944_zpsqacg8of4.jpg

IMG_0947_zpsvfgkluna.jpg

IMG_0946_zpsfhtpdjrv.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsfpesbqgl.jpg

I think I need a Dark Cherry Sunburst one with a Cherry back and neck to round out the collection in that regard! ;)

The one I seem to emotionally bond with the most so far is this one, the Vintage Sunburst one:

IMG_0934_zpsbycwmqqz.jpg

The visual part of it really gets me, but it also plays great, and sounds amazing.

And lastly the other thing I think about with multiple examples of the same model are pickup variations. These 5815 LT's sound so great, that I have been very reluctant to mess with that magic so far. But now that I have 3 of these at home, I am going to check out slightly hotter pickups in one. I am going to start with Lollar Imperials, which are about 8.4K bridge and 7.6K neck, versus the 5815's which I believe are about 7.8K for both the bridge and the neck.

I like the Lollar Imperials a lot in my b3 SL's, so that also gives me (and my local Chicago group) a chance to A/B the SL (a great guitar in its own right) with the 594 with the same pickup model.

Maybe later I will try something even hotter, like the Lollar Imperial High Wind (9.4K bridge and 8.4K neck).

I would love to try 5815's and 5909's in there, but wait, PRS doesn't sell those pickups separate from a guitar (not covered 5909's). Oh well, I guess I will just have to try another brand of pickups if I want to try something a little hotter! ;)

Since the two Willcutt's Wood Library ones have a vintage vibe, I will put the Lollar's in the Green Metallic, and keep the vintage looking ones with the LT's...

That dark back really does it for me. Definitely the old Les Paul vibe.

I dig the Lollars a lot. I think the Suhr Thornbuckers have the edge for me, though.

LOL...glad I could help; "returning the favor" of a GAS attack is fun!!

While I'm definitely further along the "I Want" process with a SC 594, I'm with you Pete...the CNC Upcharge is probably going to be a deal breaker. However, I might have someone asking just to see and I'm also confident that someone else will be the first and take that hit for the rest of us.

Well, when I look at the "glamour shots" of my personally spec'ed McCarty Singlecut, for sale now at Willcutt's, maybe I do get some 594 MSC GAS! ;)

215102-1.jpg

215102-4.jpg

215102-8.jpg

215102-7.jpg

When is my next trip again?? :)

That dark back really does it for me. Definitely the old Les Paul vibe.

I dig the Lollars a lot. I think the Suhr Thornbuckers have the edge for me, though.

I dig the brown back too!

Thanks for the tip on the Suhr Thornbuckers. I will definitely check out some reviews...

I should add that the above context also should include the fact that I am without a band at this time, so I am not playing out right now. My band of 6 years faded away last year as it was brought together as a company band, and when I left the company only one of 5 of us was still there, and without working at the company I don't have a reason to be in Ottawa, Ontario on a regular basis to join in.

That being said, they are pulling a gig together for later this year up in Canada that they have invited me to join in for. I do plan to join in for the fun, but wait - 2 of these 3 594's say "Custom Built for USA only". I guess that makes the selection pretty easy, Green Metallic it is! That's okay, that one has pretty killer stage presence anyway! ;)

IMG_0922_zpsh0gdrac3.jpg
So there's no CITES papers provided for the guitars with the BRW fretboard so you can get them out of the States?

Well, when I look at the "glamour shots" of my personally spec'ed McCarty Singlecut, for sale now at Willcutt's, maybe I do get some 594 MSC GAS! ;)

215102-1.jpg

215102-4.jpg

215102-8.jpg

215102-7.jpg

When is my next trip again?? :)

Really wish that was in my price range, I need a Ted singlecut!

It shall be interesting to see if they do a singlecut with the 594 specs.

I dig the brown back too!

Thanks for the tip on the Suhr Thornbuckers. I will definitely check out some reviews...

The Pete Thorn demo on the Suhr site is killer and true to the sound. There are a couple of ongoing TGP threads about them and just about everyone says they love them. They helped make my S2 Singlecut Standard the guitar to beat for me. I pick that guitar first every time.

So I wanted to share a bit on the experience of having 3 of these. Actually I have 4, but "only" 3 of them at home, one is in my CA apartment.

As you guys have seen from me here in my 8 years of PRS obsession, when I get captivated by a model, like I did with the Ted's, I tend to buy several and then make some upgrades to the collection over time.

Having these three has been great over the past week. When I play one of them, each one has a certain "vibe" that is a combination of how it plays (the setup), how it looks and how that makes you feel, and how it sounds. Each are subtly different in that regard.

I had 9's on 2, and got the Vintage Sunburst Willcutt's Wood Library in with 10's, to compare them. I found the 9's too thin, I felt like I lost a little tone. The 10's were too thick for me. I have been using the NYXL strings, I really like the way they feel and sound. I discovered that they do make a .095-.044 set of those. (They are harder to find, and I can't seem to find them in a 3-pack.) So then I strung one with those, and had one each with 9's, 9'5's and 10's. 9.5's - perfect for me! 9.5's, too skinny. 10's - a little stiff in certain situations. Now I have converted two to 9.5's. See - one of many justifications for multiple guitars of the same model!! ;) Of course there is that age old excuse of leaving different ones in different tunings. I used to use that one on myself, but I don't really do that anymore.

Also to me there is that vibe that comes from the looks. I seem to look at my left hand a lot while playing, but not so much the right, so I see the view of looking down at the neck quite often, so the color of the finish of the back of the neck really influences the visual experience and vibe for me.

Look how different those (look and vibe) are in my 3!

IMG_0944_zpsqacg8of4.jpg

IMG_0947_zpsvfgkluna.jpg

IMG_0946_zpsfhtpdjrv.jpg

IMG_0945_zpsfpesbqgl.jpg

I think I need a Dark Cherry Sunburst one with a Cherry back and neck to round out the collection in that regard! ;)

The one I seem to emotionally bond with the most so far is this one, the Vintage Sunburst one:

IMG_0934_zpsbycwmqqz.jpg

The visual part of it really gets me, but it also plays great, and sounds amazing.

And lastly the other thing I think about with multiple examples of the same model are pickup variations. These 5815 LT's sound so great, that I have been very reluctant to mess with that magic so far. But now that I have 3 of these at home, I am going to check out slightly hotter pickups in one. I am going to start with Lollar Imperials, which are about 8.4K bridge and 7.6K neck, versus the 5815's which I believe are about 7.8K for both the bridge and the neck.

I like the Lollar Imperials a lot in my b3 SL's, so that also gives me (and my local Chicago group) a chance to A/B the SL (a great guitar in its own right) with the 594 with the same pickup model.

Maybe later I will try something even hotter, like the Lollar Imperial High Wind (9.4K bridge and 8.4K neck).

I would love to try 5815's and 5909's in there, but wait, PRS doesn't sell those pickups separate from a guitar (not covered 5909's). Oh well, I guess I will just have to try another brand of pickups if I want to try something a little hotter! ;)

Since the two Willcutt's Wood Library ones have a vintage vibe, I will put the Lollar's in the Green Metallic, and keep the vintage looking ones with the LT's...

Great write up on your thoughts as you continue to bond with these.

Just a note on the covered 59/09; the PTC will do them in Chrome, Nickel or Gold. I've got a Cu22 shipping back to me tomorrow that got a Nickel 59/09 in the bridge.

Last edited:
Great write up on your thoughts as you continue to bond with these.

Just a note on the covered 59/09; the PTC will do them in Chrome, Nickel or Gold. I've got a Cu22 shipping back to me tomorrow that got a Nickel 59/09 in the bridge.

Oh man, I wish I would have known that! I just had both the Citrus Glow and the Jade Glow in there recently to get the 594 tweaks and to remove personally lettering on the back of the headstocks, I would have done both with 5909's to get an extra set of 5815's and 5909's...

Oh well, now I know for next time! Although I won't send it in for just that, the turnaround these days is a little long for me to wait that long just for a pickup upgrade. ;) But good to know if I am getting something else done to a guitar. Thanks for the heads-up!

Yeah no need to wonder.

The Mrs says to stop looking at guitars because it'll just give me GAS and I won't be in a buying position for a good while. But she also knows I dreamed about, and saved for, the HBII for three years before I could buy it. I haven't been this interested in a guitar since 1999 when I first laid eyes on a Hollowbody.

MAPete, I have to say I like your ivory tuner button upgrade. It completes the package.

Thanks, ViperDoc!

Yes, for me it totally matches the vibe of the model. I had so many of the Ted's with the Vintage McCarty Tuners, that when these became available, I started using these on my Private Stock DC 245's, and really liked them.

I don't remember which models PRS originally used them on, or maybe they just showed up as an option in Private Stock originally.

I looked back at my history, the TGS "Earth" Cu24 was my first PRS with those on there:

8078235568_83d8da91fd_b.jpg

..and also that same year (2012) I used them on my Jade Glow DC 245, and after that on just about every Private Stock DC and SC 245 I did. And of course PRS used them on the Private Stock McCarty Singlecuts as well, they looked great on those too.

I sure dig them on this model!

Pete, I don't see any mentions to the GOM lately. Have you still got it? How does it compare to the others?

I also put some Thornbuckers into one of my guitars, and I love the clarity in clean mode and saturation in dirt mode. Very articulate and natural sounding.

FYI, as I did not know this, but when ordering a PS 594, there are two versions. The least expensive (and I say that laughingly) has no neck or head stock binding. I have never read this or seen this anywhere, and only found out recently, as Brian is at PRS today to pick my wood.

The upcharge for head stock and neck binding is $600! I wish that PRS had put that someplace so that anyone planning to order a PS 594 is not taken by surprise. ymmv

I'll welcome myself to club 594 today thanks to a productive lunch with MA Pete in order to complete a transaction. Thanks again Pete! It was a pleasure,

20160805_131924_zpsizihdvcs.jpg
Congratulations, Bodia! WOW! That guitar is so sick in the most wonderful way> :)

I also put some Thornbuckers into one of my guitars, and I love the clarity in clean mode and saturation in dirt mode. Very articulate and natural sounding.

FYI, as I did not know this, but when ordering a PS 594, there are two versions. The least expensive (and I say that laughingly) has no neck or head stock binding. I have never read this or seen this anywhere, and only found out recently, as Brian is at PRS today to pick my wood.

The upcharge for head stock and neck binding is $600! I wish that PRS had put that someplace so that anyone planning to order a PS 594 is not taken by surprise. ymmv

A great many things on PS are options.

I'm guessing you went with a wood binding. If you went with the Core plastic neck binding there probably wouldn't be any upcharge.

Back