The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Pete, I don't see any mentions to the GOM lately. Have you still got it? How does it compare to the others?

Good question! As you can see, it is still in my Avatar pic. ;)

It has been spoken for for a while, on deposit sold to a guy in France. He was at first going to come over to get it in June, but now he is coming this week. I was using the proceeds from that sale to pay for my Private Stock in the oven, which hasn't come in yet. So I didn't really mind waiting for him. Plus he is a nice guy and was so excited to find one of these rare "1 of 26" guitars! ;) I always dig it when I feel good about where one of my guitars is heading off to.

I have been mostly keeping it in the case to keep it pristine for its new buyer, but I did pull it out once or twice to compare to the Core and Wood Library 594's as those came in.

Like many Private Stocks with hand-selected woods, the GOM has some extra special mojo going on, very light at 7 pounds 5 ounces, while the Core and WL 594's have averaged about 8 pounds. The GOM has an "extra gear" with some resonance that is very much stimulated by a "loop" when played at volume, very lively. One of the best sounding guitars I have owned, in the top 5 or 10 in that regard.

That being said, I was very amazed with how great the Core and WL 594's sounded head-to-head against the GOM. Before I took my "Honey" finished Core GOM to CA, I A/B'ed them, and was amazed that while the GOM had they special resonance and sizzle, to my ears the GOM sounded like a great "Ted" (DC 245), which is to say it sounds like short scale PRS that sounds Les Paul-like, whereas the Core 594 sounded much more so just like a great Historic Les Paul, more so than the GOM, or like my b3 SL's, which also sound like a great Les Paul in their own right, albeit with the 594 having lower output pickups than the b3. I mean that in a very flattering way, as a result of getting the GOM and my b3 SL's I sold/traded away the two best Les Paul's I ever owned, and question whether I will buy another one again. They sound great, have that history and vibe, but the ergonomics are really not good on a relative basis, for me, and there always seems to be quality annoyances despite the $5-8K price tag (for a Custom Shop Historic)...

Anyway, here are some pics of the GOM with a newer friend:

IMG_0891_zps9ldnf3bg.jpg

IMG_0890_zpsd25rahqo.jpg

IMG_0888_zpsccx9fhzd.jpg

IMG_0894_zpskjxdv3is.jpg

I would say that for looks and vintage vibe, the Livingston Lemonburst Willcutt's Wood Library 594 can hang right in there with the GOM!! :)

I will miss the GOM, but I am off to my next chapter of the 594 adventure, spec'ing my own Private Stock versions of this great model! First one in soon, hopefully...

To have this kind of tone, combined with classic PRS ergonomics, electronics like coil taps, and QC?

I think it's going to prove to be one PRS' all time best models, and will sell like hotcakes. I sure hope the one I ordered sounds like the ones you have, Pete!

Good question! As you can see, it is still in my Avatar pic. ;)

It has been spoken for for a while, on deposit sold to a guy in France. He was at first going to come over to get it in June, but now he is coming this week. I was using the proceeds from that sale to pay for my Private Stock in the oven, which hasn't come in yet. So I didn't really mind waiting for him. Plus he is a nice guy and was so excited to find one of these rare "1 of 26" guitars! ;) I always dig it when I feel good about where one of my guitars is heading off to.

I have been mostly keeping it in the case to keep it pristine for its new buyer, but I did pull it out once or twice to compare to the Core and Wood Library 594's as those came in.

Like many Private Stocks with hand-selected woods, the GOM has some extra special mojo going on, very light at 7 pounds 5 ounces, while the Core and WL 594's have averaged about 8 pounds. The GOM has an "extra gear" with some resonance that is very much stimulated by a "loop" when played at volume, very lively. One of the best sounding guitars I have owned, in the top 5 or 10 in that regard.

That being said, I was very amazed with how great the Core and WL 594's sounded head-to-head against the GOM. Before I took my "Honey" finished Core GOM to CA, I A/B'ed them, and was amazed that while the GOM had they special resonance and sizzle, to my ears the GOM sounded like a great "Ted" (DC 245), which is to say it sounds like short scale PRS that sounds Les Paul-like, whereas the Core 594 sounded much more so just like a great Historic Les Paul, more so than the GOM, or like my b3 SL's, which also sound like a great Les Paul in their own right, albeit with the 594 having lower output pickups than the b3. I mean that in a very flattering way, as a result of getting the GOM and my b3 SL's I sold/traded away the two best Les Paul's I ever owned, and question whether I will buy another one again. They sound great, have that history and vibe, but the ergonomics are really not good on a relative basis, for me, and there always seems to be quality annoyances despite the $5-8K price tag (for a Custom Shop Historic)...

Anyway, here are some pics of the GOM with a newer friend:

IMG_0891_zps9ldnf3bg.jpg

IMG_0890_zpsd25rahqo.jpg

IMG_0888_zpsccx9fhzd.jpg

IMG_0894_zpskjxdv3is.jpg

I would say that for looks and vintage vibe, the Livingston Lemonburst Willcutt's Wood Library 594 can hang right in there with the GOM!! :)

I will miss the GOM, but I am off to my next chapter of the 594 adventure, spec'ing my own Private Stock versions of this great model! First one in soon, hopefully...
The anticipation is killing me Pete because from the first leg of your journey with PRS it's been nothing but dazzling, and somehow the waiting period for your builds has been shorter in general than the other's build, or maybe it seem so to me only.

To have this kind of tone, combined with classic PRS ergonomics, electronics like coil taps, and QC?

I think it's going to prove to be one PRS' all time best models, and will sell like hotcakes. I sure hope the one I ordered sounds like the ones you have, Pete!

Les, I will bet yours will be great! All 6 I have sampled (wow, 6 already?) have been amazingly consistently great, more so than any previous guitar model I have experienced.

The anticipation is killing me Pete because from the first leg of your journey with PRS it's been nothing but dazzling, and somehow the waiting period for your builds has been shorter in general than the other's build, or maybe it seem so to me only.

It is seeming like forever to me since I spec'ed my PS 594 on March 1st! Hopefully it is coming soon.

The GOM got picked up today, and I realized something - I am without a PRS Private Stock for the first time since 2012!! Yikes!!

Pete, Hi!
You've only been without a ps model for the first time since 2012. I've been without a ps since 1948.
Don't feel too bad. ;)

Hopefully your new ps will be in your arms shortly. I still have about 6 months, as my woods were just selected two days ago.

Last edited:
The GOM got picked up today, and I realized something - I am without a PRS Private Stock for the first time since 2012!! Yikes!!
#FirstWorldProblems :p

That's definitely a change though Pete...at one point and time you were on such a role with the PSi that there was a long stretch of time where you seemingly always had a PS "in the oven".

Dete, Hi!
You've only been without a ps model for the first time since 2012. I've been without a ps since 1948.
Don't feel too bad. ;)

Hopefully your new ps will be in your arms shortly. I still have about 6 months, as my woods were just selected two days ago.
gh

Ha! That made me laugh.

Good luck with yours!!

#FirstWorldProblems :p

That's definitely a change though Pete...at one point and time you were on such a role with the PSi that there was a long stretch of time where you seemingly always had a PS "in the oven".

Yes, for a while there I tried to have at least one in the oven at all times. It made the Private Stock Friday thread much more exciting every week! :)

Every Private Stock I spec'ed has made it to the thread, since the thread started. A few I had in at the PTC made it as well!

I have this weird feeling that tomorrow will be my lucky day with regards to the PSF thread and my 594 in the oven!! ;)

Les, I will bet yours will be great! All 6 I have sampled (wow, 6 already?) have been amazingly consistently great, more so than any previous guitar model I have experienced.

I'm confident you're right. I've had two of Jack's WL McCartys, and they were stellar (I kept one with a mahogany neck, just a tone preference I have). This model should be all that and more.

I will keep all the ones I currently have, though. I feel a little less need to go exploring these days. ;)

I will keep all the ones I currently have, though. I feel a little less need to go exploring these days. ;)

You have a really good set of tools right now, Les. I hope you're gonna stand pat for a while.

Although I'm making noise about buying one, and the price/quality ratio of a stock version is very compelling, I had an interesting reaction to the 594 I played at CR Guitars, a wood library version that IIRC a member here bought. I played it. I loved it. I came very, very close to taking it home (well, technically, to Massachusetts as I was headed there) with me. But then I looked at Craig and said something along the lines of, I sold my vintage Les Paul last fall for a reason. The reason is I didn't see any need to have that particular "thing" in my arsenal, regardless of how many bazillion guitar players are chasing that carrot. It's a distraction for me. If I buy this guitar, it's only going to remind me that I sold the best guitar I will ever have from that particular recipe, and inspire me to persist in that distraction.

That's my truth, and I need to remember it.

I will also say that, of all the "this is our '59 'burst" PRS guitars I've played, that 594 was easily the closest to there. In fact the guy who bought my vintage Les Paul bought one of the original guitar-of-the-month versions and happily gigs it alongside my ex. So if you are chasing that carrot, I would give the 594 my highest recommendation.

You have a really good set of tools right now, Les. I hope you're gonna stand pat for a while.

Although I'm making noise about buying one, and the price/quality ratio of a stock version is very compelling, I had an interesting reaction to the 594 I played at CR Guitars, a wood library version that IIRC a member here bought. I played it. I loved it. I came very, very close to taking it home (well, technically, to Massachusetts as I was headed there) with me. But then I looked at Craig and said something along the lines of, I sold my vintage Les Paul last fall for a reason. The reason is I didn't see any need to have that particular "thing" in my arsenal, regardless of how many bazillion guitar players are chasing that carrot. It's a distraction for me. If I buy this guitar, it's only going to remind me that I sold the best guitar I will ever have from that particular recipe, and inspire me to persist in that distraction.

I will also say that, of all the "this is our '59 'burst" PRS guitars I've played, that 594 was easily the closest to there. In fact the guy who bought my vintage Les Paul bought one of the original guitar-of-the-month versions and happily gigs it alongside my ex. So if you are chasing that carrot, I would give the 594 my highest recommendation.

Dude, that's a perfect description, thanks. That's definitely what I'm chasing.

Well you're 100% right.

Fact is, the McCarty Singlecut takes me as close as I need to be to that classic burst formula. There isn't a thing about my Hammer of the Gods that makes me say, "Yes, but..."

I'll never sell it.

My other PRS guitars are absolutely great at everything they do. There's nothing I'd change on any of them.

I can't rationalize -- I'm getting a 594 for the sheer fun of having it around. :)

It's out there, it's cool, I want it. Might as well make myself jolly while I wait for the Grim Reaper!

Maybe I'll find it essential in the studio, that's always a likely thing with a really good guitar.

Fact is, the McCarty Singlecut takes me as close as I need to be to that classic burst formula. There isn't a thing about my Hammer of the Gods that makes me say, "Yes, but..."

I'll never sell it.

Sadly, for me it's "yes, but..."
As I said in other thread, I parked my Gibson R9 recently and have been playing my McCarty since then. Is more comfortable, weights less, the sound is "richer, with more to offer"... It's a better guitar, period. BUT, and here comes the BUT... (The word I'll use here would be suggestion) ... BUT my PRSi don't suggest me the same my Gibson does; PRS is perfection, period, BUT my R9 suggests me Jimmy Page and many of his riffs, Gary Moore and those sad blueses, Slash, Doug Aldrich, hard rock... Rock History. And that is hard to beat in your head.

As I said in other thread, I parked my Gibson R9 recently and have been playing my McCarty since then. Is more comfortable, weights less, the sound is "richer, with more to offer"... It's a better guitar, period. BUT, and here comes the BUT... (The word I'll use here would be suggestion) ... BUT my PRSi don't suggest me the same my Gibson does; PRS is perfection, period, BUT my R9 suggests me Jimmy Page and many of his riffs, Gary Moore and those sad blueses, Slash, Doug Aldrich, hard rock... Rock History. And that is hard to beat in your head.

I understand this perfectly. You see a player using a specific guitar for songs you like and when you have that guitar yourself, and playing those parts, having that same guitar brings out the mental image and offers authentic (for lack of a better word) feelings within oneself on how to execute more authentically those leads.

I meant my McCarty Singlecut instead of my McCarty; it's this one (iPhone pic, it's a little washed-out, please forgive me PRS pic aficionados):

That is a beauty Les! I want one in the worst way!

Since getting this one, I can't imagine being without it. The guitar has a special voice (at least, I think so), and gobs of sustain and oomph.

I can do my usual mediocre-at-best playing, and this thing makes me sound halfway decent. Priceless! ;)

I have a feeling Mr. 594 will do something sonically different, but similar in the way it seems to transform my playing. Looking forward to finding out!

And I will be forever grateful you passed it up! It is everything you say it is, and gorgeous in an old school way as well. I bought it on looks and reputation alone - online, but it turned out awesome anyway!

Go to 2:15 or so. Custom finish, "Gold Top Burst". What do you guys think?

I dig it, especially on this model! I like Goldtops, and I like Bursts - why not?? :)

(I inquired with them about it, it appears it is sold...)

Back