The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Hottie McHotties right there. Looking forward to another N5D.

Thanks for checking with him first. That's a 20 minute ride down 59. Bonus, there's a great BBQ place a couple of blocks from him. Baby Back Blues. Haven't been there in quite awhile.

Freakin' LOVE babyback ribs. Wish I could find a REALLY good place around the twin cities......!

Kevin

Freakin' LOVE babyback ribs. Wish I could find a REALLY good place around the twin cities......!

Kevin

My boss is in the TC. I seem to recall him talking about Smoke In The Pit and Scott Jamama's?

Yet another N5D here! :)

IMG_0933_zpst5lfsowd.jpg

IMG_0934_zpsbycwmqqz.jpg

IMG_0935_zpstynames8.jpg

IMG_0936_zpslsvp7scy.jpg

IMG_0937_zpse7uweqon.jpg

IMG_0938_zpsdlyritwt.jpg

Pictures do not do this guitar justice, in person, it is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen, in that Vintage Burst sort of way!

Like all the 594's so far, it sounds and plays amazing. This one really hits home for me as the finish and vibe is sort of like all of my favorite PRS guitars, and the history of short scale vintage maple top guitars for that matter, wrapped into one guitar!

See with the Livingston Lemon Burst, the tops are sort of similar, but the back and neck finish colors are so different that they have a totally different vibe.

IMG_0939_zpss1jbz2eb.jpg

Wow, those are two KILLER Burst guitars!! I am feeling pretty lucky right now...

IMG_0940_zpsryh5vk3m.jpg

IMG_0941_zpsx6x8ai9x.jpg

IMG_0943_zpsxndjqorx.jpg

For full disclosure on my 594 collecting adventure, I have the Dave's Burnt Orange Wood Library guitar for sale now on Reverb and TGP, have some interest in it from a few people, so that one may be moving on soon. It plays and sounds just as good as all of mine, and has a killer top and finish - I am blown away with how great all 5 of the Core and WL 594's I have experienced play and sound. But I am honing in on the Willcutt's Wood Library Run finishes as the core of my Collection, plus of course that wild and crazy Metallic Green one. So that Dave's WL one is on the way out as I fill in the collection with these vintage burst finished ones, these are "home" for me!! ;)

BTW the finish on this new one is called "Vintage Sunburst". Very similar IMO to how McCarty Sunburst looks these days (the same back color, I believe), but with a more Honey/Yellow Top color. I dig it!

Fun times!! :)

The thought has occurred to me that at this very moment, I may be in a position where the last guitar I bought was a 594 and my next guitar might also be a 594. After all, I've got more than one Custom 24 so why not have more than one 594?

Yet another N5D here! :)

IMG_0933_zpst5lfsowd.jpg

IMG_0934_zpsbycwmqqz.jpg

IMG_0935_zpstynames8.jpg

IMG_0936_zpslsvp7scy.jpg

IMG_0937_zpse7uweqon.jpg

IMG_0938_zpsdlyritwt.jpg

Pictures do not do this guitar justice, in person, it is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen, in that Vintage Burst sort of way!

Like all the 594's so far, it sounds and plays amazing. This one really hits home for me as the finish and vibe is sort of like all of my favorite PRS guitars, and the history of short scale vintage maple top guitars for that matter, wrapped into one guitar!

See with the Livingston Lemon Burst, the tops are sort of similar, but the back and neck finish colors are so different that they have a totally different vibe.

IMG_0939_zpss1jbz2eb.jpg

Wow, those are two KILLER Burst guitars!! I am feeling pretty lucky right now...

IMG_0940_zpsryh5vk3m.jpg

IMG_0941_zpsx6x8ai9x.jpg

IMG_0943_zpsxndjqorx.jpg

For full disclosure on my 594 collecting adventure, I have the Dave's Burnt Orange Wood Library guitar for sale now on Reverb and TGP, have some interest in it from a few people, so that one may be moving on soon. It plays and sounds just as good as all of mine, and has a killer top and finish - I am blown away with how great all 5 of the Core and WL 594's I have experienced play and sound. But I am honing in on the Willcutt's Wood Library Run finishes as the core of my Collection, plus of course that wild and crazy Metallic Green one. So that Dave's WL one is on the way out as I fill in the collection with these vintage burst finished ones, these are "home" for me!! ;)

BTW the finish on this new one is called "Vintage Sunburst". Very similar IMO to how McCarty Sunburst looks these days (the same back color, I believe), but with a more Honey/Yellow Top color. I dig it!

Fun times!! :)
MA Pete, you are my hero

You are on one heck of a roll Pete...but we are kinda used to seeing that once you find something you really like!! ;-)

One question (since you switched the buttons on yours); did you also find that there is a small space between the buttons and the tuner bodies?? I noticed it when I changed out the tuners on mine to as set of Ivoroid buttons I had off of another guitar. I was down at Brian's today and noticed the ones he had in stock all have the same space. I don't recall seeing a space on the Phase 3s before...so I was wondering if they changed something with the tweaked version of the tuners? I asked Brian and he wasn't aware of a change or any new buttons for them. Just an observation.

Oh and I like the Green with the amber knobs...but were the old ones really clear or black; hard to tell from the picture.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for the kind words!

The thought has occurred to me that at this very moment, I may be in a position where the last guitar I bought was a 594 and my next guitar might also be a 594. After all, I've got more than one Custom 24 so why not have more than one 594?

That makes a LOT of sense to me! :)

You are on one heck of a roll Pete...but we are kinda used to seeing that once you find something you really like!! ;-)

One question (since you switched the buttons on yours); did you also find that there is a small space between the buttons and the tuner bodies?? I noticed it when I changed out the tuners on mine to as set of Ivoroid buttons I had off of another guitar. I was down at Brian's today and noticed the ones he had in stock all have the same space. I don't recall seeing a space on the Phase 3s before...so I was wondering if they changed something with the tweaked version of the tuners? I asked Brian and he wasn't aware of a change or any new buttons for them. Just an observation.

Oh and I like the Green with the amber knobs...but were the old ones really clear or black; hard to tell from the picture.

Yes, there does seem to be a space there. Oddly, the space is a little smaller on the two that I had the Tuner Buttons swapped on (I didn't do the work), than the two unmodified ones. Certainly it is well published that there was a tuner tweak on the 594's, an "extra screw", but I never really figured out how to identify the difference visually.

Believe it or not, I have sold or traded all three of my 245 scaled Private Stocks (to fund these, and an incoming 594 PS), so I have nothing to compare these to. I am ALL IN on the 594's! ;)

The old knobs were clear. I really like that one much better with the two upgrades of the Amber Knobs and the Ivoroid Tuner Buttons, it looks amazing! Plays and sounds killer too.

That is what I call a 594-alarm fire. So hot! How many is that now, 4???

Thanks! 5, but who's counting? But in my defense, 1 is in my CA apartment, and 1 is up for sale, so really "just" 3. ;)

Thanks everyone, for the kind words!

That makes a LOT of sense to me! :)

Yes, there does seem to be a space there. Oddly, the space is a little smaller on the two that I had the Tuner Buttons swapped on (I didn't do the work), than the two unmodified ones. Certainly it is well published that there was a tuner tweak on the 594's, an "extra screw", but I never really figured out how to identify the difference visually.

Believe it or not, I have sold or traded all three of my 245 scaled Private Stocks (to fund these, and an incoming 594 PS), so I have nothing to compare these to. I am ALL IN on the 594's! ;)

The old knobs were clear. I really like that one much better with the two upgrades of the Amber Knobs and the Ivoroid Tuner Buttons, it looks amazing! Plays and sounds killer too.

Thanks! 5, but who's counting? But in my defense, 1 is in my CA apartment, and 1 is up for sale, so really "just" 3. ;)
Nice. Feel no shame, Pete, the 594 is WORTHY, and so are you. Enjoy, man! I can't wait to try one out.

Oh crap, now I'm wondering if Private Stock could do a metallic finish that looked like polished cast bronze with a patina...

You could go overboard with the patina, too. Like this...

...oh, and btw, PRS fans, that's a pernambuco neck. (one piece, no separate fretboard, in fact there aren't any frets either!)

Walker%20Santa%20Cruz%20Fathom.jpg

There is good information on the Tweaked Phase III tuners in this thread. Specially Shawn's description.

http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/tweaked-phase-iiis.18505/

FJ4:

Wow, thanks for posting that! I hadn't seen that yet, very helpful. I had wondered about this mysterious tweak, but didn't understand the details. I had seen the screw and thought that was the difference, but didn't understand the full story, until now.

Tweaked tuners, thicker body, bone nut, new low output pickups (and identical neck and bridge pickups), changes to the materials for the two piece bridge, new scale length, and a beefier neck carve. Not sure if there is anything else, but whatever magic has been done here, the sum of the parts results in my favorite PRS model ever! ;)

Thanks!

-Pete

Reactions: FJ4
I love everything about your latest addition especially the chevron shape, which is my favorite
and if and when I get a new PRS I'll be looking for a similar top and possibly the same color too.

I love your ability to make such a solid commitment, Pete! :cool:

Believe it or not, I have sold or traded all three of my 245 scaled Private Stocks (to fund these, and an incoming 594 PS), so I have nothing to compare these to.
I saw the SC at Willcutts, but hadn't realized you let the others go...

...even the original Jade DC Ted???? Say it ain't so!!!!

I saw the SC at Willcutts, but hadn't realized you let the others go...

...even the original Jade DC Ted???? Say it ain't so!!!!

Yup! As I said on another forum coincidentally a few hours ago, all three were fantastic guitars, I am proud to have spec'ed them and enjoyed them thoroughly while I owned them!

It turns out the scale length on those three were 3/32's of an inch too short for my tastes! ;)

Back