The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

I went with the hollowbody. I really liked the semi-hollow I was playing around on so fingers crossed... will know in a couple of days

I have the solid Double Cut 594 and a Hollowbody ii with the 58/15 LT's too. If the HBii had the options of coil splitting, I wouldn't be gassing so hard for the Hollowbody 594. I personally believe that the Hollowbody is more of a difference than just taking more wood out than the Semi-Hollow. To me, the Semi-Hollow doesn't really make too much of a difference and the biggest factor is more the weight. It does feel more resonant but it didn't change the tone that much - at least I didn't feel it made a significant difference.

A lot of that has to do with only using the Mahogany for the sides - a Slab of Mahogany that has the 'middle' cut out to create the sides rather than using thin mahogany strips that, using steam, are shaped as Acoustics and a lot (if not all) Hollowbody guitars are made. Instead of using a laminated sheet that is steam pressed to create the 'carve' body, PRS use a slab of Maple and carve it - also for the back too. The Maple top and back is why I think it makes more of a difference than just removing more mahogany to turn the 'semi-hollow' into a hollowbody.

A marriage between my 594 and my HBii seems like the perfect combination. If I had the opportunity to spec my own, I would seriously consider swapping the tune-o-matic type bridge for an adjustable Piezo bridge (like the HBii has) but keep the 24.594 scale and Pattern Vintage neck - as well as the 594 individual tone/volume pots with coil splitting and of course the 3-way on the upper horn. It would add a mini toggle (to go from Magnetics, to blend then Piezo only) as well as the Piezo volume/blend. It would mean having the the two output jacks and Battery compartment but would be more versatile. I guess I don't need that as I do have my HBii for the Piezo and if I bought a HB 594 with Piezo, that could make my HBii redundant.

As it stands right now, with my very limited space and really pushing my limits on the Guitars I can actually fit in my tiny apartment, I would actually squeeze a HB 594 in because I love the look, especially the look of the carved and stained maple back with no plastic back plates - as well as the sound of the 58/15 LT's in a Hollowbody, the feel of the Vintage neck carve, the scale length etc and buying one would be more of an indulgence than a 'need' as I don't know that I will get much use out of the Split options and therefore I already have the main sounds with my HBii. I can justify owning all my guitars to me, someone who isn't gigging, because of the 'unique' tones I can get, the expansion of my tonal palette which is why my collection is small but also each guitar is significantly different.

A HB 594 though really does excite me and whether I can get the opportunity to buy a Piezo loaded HB 594 or not doesn't change the fact that I still want one regardless of what it adds to my collection, regardless of whether the reason is as basic as just wanting one rather than justifying it because I don't have 'something' that I may want/need. I blame PRS for making such desirable guitars that I want just because they exist rather than what they may add to my tonal Palette.

Dealer provided shot. Shipped today

JBLIfKk.jpg

I have the solid Double Cut 594 and a Hollowbody ii with the 58/15 LT's too. If the HBii had the options of coil splitting, I wouldn't be gassing so hard for the Hollowbody 594. I personally believe that the Hollowbody is more of a difference than just taking more wood out than the Semi-Hollow. To me, the Semi-Hollow doesn't really make too much of a difference and the biggest factor is more the weight. It does feel more resonant but it didn't change the tone that much - at least I didn't feel it made a significant difference.

A lot of that has to do with only using the Mahogany for the sides - a Slab of Mahogany that has the 'middle' cut out to create the sides rather than using thin mahogany strips that, using steam, are shaped as Acoustics and a lot (if not all) Hollowbody guitars are made. Instead of using a laminated sheet that is steam pressed to create the 'carve' body, PRS use a slab of Maple and carve it - also for the back too. The Maple top and back is why I think it makes more of a difference than just removing more mahogany to turn the 'semi-hollow' into a hollowbody.

A marriage between my 594 and my HBii seems like the perfect combination. If I had the opportunity to spec my own, I would seriously consider swapping the tune-o-matic type bridge for an adjustable Piezo bridge (like the HBii has) but keep the 24.594 scale and Pattern Vintage neck - as well as the 594 individual tone/volume pots with coil splitting and of course the 3-way on the upper horn. It would add a mini toggle (to go from Magnetics, to blend then Piezo only) as well as the Piezo volume/blend. It would mean having the the two output jacks and Battery compartment but would be more versatile. I guess I don't need that as I do have my HBii for the Piezo and if I bought a HB 594 with Piezo, that could make my HBii redundant.

As it stands right now, with my very limited space and really pushing my limits on the Guitars I can actually fit in my tiny apartment, I would actually squeeze a HB 594 in because I love the look, especially the look of the carved and stained maple back with no plastic back plates - as well as the sound of the 58/15 LT's in a Hollowbody, the feel of the Vintage neck carve, the scale length etc and buying one would be more of an indulgence than a 'need' as I don't know that I will get much use out of the Split options and therefore I already have the main sounds with my HBii. I can justify owning all my guitars to me, someone who isn't gigging, because of the 'unique' tones I can get, the expansion of my tonal palette which is why my collection is small but also each guitar is significantly different.

A HB 594 though really does excite me and whether I can get the opportunity to buy a Piezo loaded HB 594 or not doesn't change the fact that I still want one regardless of what it adds to my collection, regardless of whether the reason is as basic as just wanting one rather than justifying it because I don't have 'something' that I may want/need. I blame PRS for making such desirable guitars that I want just because they exist rather than what they may add to my tonal Palette.

I’m hoping it’s perfect for me. Right now my other guitars are a Suhr S and a kirn Tele so Humbuckers are a welcome addition.

I had a 98 or 99 spruce hollowbody 1 for a long time. I was never really a fan of the wrap tailpiece or the control layout so it moved on.

This one is less “hollowbody” than the others, though, due to the big block from the bridge to the endpin (or so I’ve read) to support the bridge and tailpiece.

If I were to go private stock I may see if they could do a floating tailpiece and/or bridge and really make it hollow.

Hollowbody tones really do something for me and the ability to combine that with an optimized Les Paul should theoretically do everything I ask. I’m expecting it to sound more like a semi-hollow to be honest.

Plus it’s under 6 lbs

Last edited:
I still don't see no pics bro

Legitimately excited and happy for you

And a lot jealous

Thanks! Initial impression is it’s pretty awesome. Didn’t get delivered until like 8 last night and I was already rum:30 from waiting.

I haven’t even plugged it in yet since the kids were already asleep....don’t really need to because it’s loud as hell on its own.;) I also like to spend some time playing anything before plugging in, anyways. If it sounds good unplugged...

Looks wise I really like it. Pretty understated but lots of depth in the maple. Definitely has an old school vibe to it. The only nitpick is metal tuning knobs. Gonna need to change that. The rosewood veneer on headstock is a nice touch.

I was happy to see a review I read was wrong and the block is only under the bridge/tailpiece and doesn’t extend all the way back as they said.

This work day is taking forever now....

Thanks! Initial impression is it’s pretty awesome. Didn’t get delivered until like 8 last night and I was already rum:30 from waiting.

I haven’t even plugged it in yet since the kids were already asleep....don’t really need to because it’s loud as hell on its own.;) I also like to spend some time playing anything before plugging in, anyways. If it sounds good unplugged...

Looks wise I really like it. Pretty understated but lots of depth in the maple. Definitely has an old school vibe to it. The only nitpick is metal tuning knobs. Gonna need to change that. The rosewood veneer on headstock is a nice touch.

I was happy to see a review I read was wrong and the block is only under the bridge/tailpiece and doesn’t extend all the way back as they said.

This work day is taking forever now....

Yup, they just have a big pillar to support the bridge/tailpiece.

Based on that one pic, it is definitely a classy guitar. I'd be tempted to put the PRS faux bone tuner buttons on it.

Yup, they just have a big pillar to support the bridge/tailpiece.

Based on that one pic, it is definitely a classy guitar. I'd be tempted to put the PRS faux bone tuner buttons on it.

That or the pearloid but those seem to be out of stock

Back